[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Stop digging, Griffin

Stop digging, Griffin

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Stop digging, Griffin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Of course it was appalling, depraved, stupid, and wildly inappropriate. The event will be in her obit thirty years from now. It can't be undone but it may surprise my mod/lib friends that I find it painful to watch these subsequent personal disasters unfold before all of us.

She apologized. I'm satisfied to extend some grace and forgiveness here but the hole seems to be getting deeper.

[no links or photos on this one]
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Stop digging, Griffin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Are you saying she is digging her own hole? If so, in what sense?
Rvaughn

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:00 am

JE Pettibone

Re: Stop digging, Griff

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:45 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:16 am

I agree. Haven't followed this, other than hearing the basic story, but just saw on Yahoo a report of her saying of Trump, "He broke me." All that seems to refer to is that he said she should be ashamed and it was a sick stunt.
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:01 am

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:10 am

My guess is she had no idea she might be out of a job over the stunt. Since she doesn't know anyone who likes Trump, she thought she could get away with murder (in appearance, at least). But I know nothing of her personally. Maybe she is prone to extreme mood swings all the time anyway.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:14 am

I much prefer the covfefe kerfluffle. This Broadway Medley treatment is actually quite good (both musically and wittily): .
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:26 pm

Free speech. You make your own choices. Griffin made a poor one. And your evaluation of what she did probably turns, to a large degree, on your level of support for Trump. He's made some equally detestable and morally bankrupt remarks. I can appreciate the concern for Baron's sensibilities, though it doesn't seem that his family's concerns extend to the same level about hearing his father talk about being able to grab women's genitals because he's famous and they let him, or some of the high profile, nasty word wars that have occurred as a result of his affairs behind his mother's back. The lines always get drawn with a lot of perspective.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:19 am

I put her actions in the same deplorable bag as the photoshop products of Obama in a hangman's noose that circulated a few years ago. Both are cut from the same hateful cloth, a little like the former SBC Second Vice President's imprecatory prayers.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:43 am

Up to this one, dems were fine with most any anti-trump stuff, no matter how crude. Reaction to this plainly has not depended on which side of the aisle one is on. Upon reflection, even Sandy might see this and even Dave might see that a well known though third rate entertainer's stuff is in a different bag than an offensive photo from some anonymous redneck.

Everyone has run from this evil crap.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:06 am

There's considerably difference between something like this, and the kind of thing that SNL does, or the Melissa McCarthy imitations of Sean Spicer, or Alec Baldwin's Trump imitations. Griffin crossed a line, and I'm glad to see that it's not just Trump supporters who are saying so. I didn't hear much condemnation from the right about some of the blatantly racist third rate crap that went on, fairly regularly, during the Obama administration.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:14 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:49 am

You missed it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:29 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:26 pm

I don't think we missed much, Dave. Some of the great champions of extremist right wing conservativism were not only not condemning that kind of thing, they were perpetrating it.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013 ... s-history/
Sandy

Bill Maher different category

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:51 am

I mostly agree with everything said so far, even William's take but beg to differ a little about Maher.

I'm not approving of what he said but in the colorful world of Chris Rock, Snoop Dawg and Dr. Dre, even Spike Lee I can't see where what he said in that larger frame broke new ground.

It's a matter of perspective and context.

In the 90s a woman in the inner circles of SC Appalachian Train Gov Mark Sanford, Furman grad, now MS Mosteller was frequent on Maher show to spar on the social issues. a Furman beauty three years younger than me, her brother was a leader among SC Baps to bring Furman into the Pressler network.... Their Daughter was Miss SC a few years ago. I haven't heard their take on Maher House Negro aside.

Cyndi Campsen was her maiden name.

What Maher said was burlesque humor. What Criswell said in 56 to SC Baptist Preachers Convention: "Now you wouldn't call a Chigger, a Chiggerow, now wouldya?" That's hate speech and Stewart A Newman called him out on it and that's why Newman is a hero of mine and James Dunn.

That's my perspective on this matter. For those who haven't read it yet the easily googled Forbes, Pastors, Republicans nails it.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Summer read

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:16 pm

This kinda gets at what I'm thinkin about Maher, altogether different from Criswell. Re Criswell legacy see religiondispatches.org piece up last few days about Sean Hannity, fundies, and the conspiratorial world view

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/22/521089484 ... y-politics
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues