[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Alabama Baptist Covers Collinsville Baptists 175th

Alabama Baptist Covers Collinsville Baptists 175th

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

My blog dipped below 5,000 in late May

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed May 31, 2017 6:05 am

I think I will quote Sandy maybe as early as Friday for a new blog to get my numbers back up in the 5,750 range where I was hovering most of the month.

I need a good reason to celebrate (ha) the 11th anniversay--this year May 28 was on a Sunday--and Sandy's post will give me a colorful launching point.

I don't think CBC is bigoted, not even right wing in the Adrian Rogers/Vines sense of the word. Tribal is the word I use in Blessings of Liberty. Many large hearted people in the congregation, a few who voted against me.

Correction. Blessings of Liberty is the title of the documentary of 92 by my friend Brett Morgen. I was a local consultant. Brett went on to be a darling of Sundance with Oscar nominated works including Kid Stays in the Picture and On the Ropes. But my faves remain Crossfire Hurricane about the Rolling Stones where Brett made Red Carpet in London with Mick, Keith and bill Wyman; and Brett's Chicago Ten which I recently recommended to CN President Randall Obrien as he as a Viet Nam Vet has great anticipation about Ken Burns September PBS series on Viet Nam.

I meant to say Exiled Generations

Last time I saw Brett was about 7 years ago in Flat Rock, Alabama, make that Trenton Georgia platformed to go up the mountain to Flat Rock. Flat rock Alabama is authentic, the real deal

But a fairer hearing I doubt it. The end game was a disaster, part miscommunication, part ineptness on the part of John Morgan the pastor and some deacons and part my blame. Still it remains in no way should I been voted out because of a kangaroo court at the library and an aside where I said in the presence of the librarian, her Sister Sheila, Ms Bonnie Payne now deceased and the Shooger Booger, Susan Weaver nor SW Morgan the daughter in law of the Pastor married to the Prince who both work now for Habitat for Humanity in Americus. Susan on occasion plays tennis on President Carter's court with her doubles group, so Sandy can add that to the wide ranging drama my experience where my Momma was baptized extends.

Follow that sentence. I think it works.

What I said my last day in the library not counting the following tuesday when I went back to be told I was to leave immediately because the board had met with the mayor the night before....Maybe it was a Weds cause I was out of town in Bham the night before.....was I was legally banned cause Ms Wilkins had called up her last strike.

Here was Strike Four. At the end of what I thought was a pleasant afternoon where I tease jousted with Bonnie Payne how two young boys should ease tensions from a fight they were chatting about earlier that day at school, on the way out as I interpreted a social cue from Mrs Wilkins in response to some aside she had made about Kay Kay Dupree's wig; I said something to the effect Well We know how that will work out because Your Daddy's name--Gerald Smith--is on the cornerstone of the Collinsville Baptist Church and my Momma's name is not.

Susan thought it was funny. Ms Payne seemed to be smiling as was Wilkins herself in my memory but Sheila went Loopy. Susan, whose mother made perfect on the Math portion of the ACT in 1965 and is a great Methodist woman; Susan said nothing happened.

But somehow between nothing happening and the next Weds I was strike four, Strike Two being an attempt to get a letter in the mail by five oclock in 2001 as a recommendation to Yale Div School to get the preacher's son Matthew scholarship admittance.

Then David Currie comes to town with the associate editor of the Alabama Baptist at my construction and the rest is in Chapter seven or so of Exiled Generations.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Alabama Baptist Covers Collinsville Baptists 175th

Postby William Thornton » Wed May 31, 2017 6:17 am

Thompsonesque, Stephen. One of your best.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Wed May 31, 2017 8:12 am

Jim

Postby Sandy » Wed May 31, 2017 9:19 am

Sandy

Postby Jim » Wed May 31, 2017 10:24 am

Jim

Postby Sandy » Wed May 31, 2017 10:59 am

Sandy

Postby Jim » Wed May 31, 2017 3:17 pm

S. (Tues., 30 May): I think Stephen should start to enjoy his being set free from the Collinsville Baptist Church and its narrow minded religious bigotry.

Without any question (as not you, of course, but everyone else can see by checking the 30 May post), you described Fox’s former church with the term narrow minded religious bigotry. Trying to use some sort of tortured grammatical garbage to wiggle out of that penultimate bigotry of your own is beneath contempt.
Jim

Postby Sandy » Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Sandy

Postby David Flick » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:47 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:30 am

I didn't deny what I said. In fact, the way I worded the statement is integral to the point, and both you and Jim missed it. Stephen didn't.
Sandy

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:25 am

Jim

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Sandy

William may like Birthday blog

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:44 pm

If he continues to keep up with the unauthorized history of Collinsville.

FTR, had a good sit down 15 minute conversation with Martha Barksdale yesterday, CEO of the Collinsville History Museum. The latest gem of the valley newsletter has a childhood portrait of her then 7 year old son who was chair of the deacons by 2006, May 28. Then I walked down to Graves Hardware and spoke to Thomas, Martha's husband and congratulate him for reading Patrick Phillips Blood at the Root.

I understand what Sandy said about bigots, but like Flick had to read it twice. OTH Flick and Jim read twice but never understood.

Stephen Fox

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:31 pm

I worked 10 years full-time in SBC churches (decade of the 1960s) and saw up close and personal the problems created by members who for whatever reason attempted frantically and mostly unsuccessfully to impose their positions on the rest of the congregation, especially if they were able to convince a handful of folks to go along. Some 40 or so years later, I wrote a novel about this very subject. Anyone is invited to give it a look:.
Jim

Postby David Flick » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:40 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Schleitheim Confession says CVL ouster of Sfox Null and Void

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:16 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleitheim_Confession

They had Communion before the vote. Ended the service then voted me out and never gave me an opportunity to discuss matters with Gloria Morgan, Jennifer Wilkins, Sandra Killian and Nessa who got the deacons after me.

Null and Void and Bogus

The Great Daughter in law of the founding pastor of the church, Jeri Alexander who married into the John Bulow Appleton family--Jon Appleton pastor emeritus of FBC Athens Ga is a direct descendant--said the day of the vote most of the people in the church had no idea what the nature of the complaint against me was.

But Jennifer Wilkins sure had a lot of relatives there that day to vote, and City Councilman David Ryan was near the front row.

How Did Mark Morgan who studied at Duke University vote. I doubt his brothers Matthew (Yale) and Prince John the Third (UVA) woulda voted for me and certainly not Thirds brand spanking new bride at that time Susan Weaver whose mother scored perfect on the Math portion of the ACT in 65 woulda voted against me. And I doubt the Math scholar herself but she was lifelong Methodist.

So bogus vote by small minded people who didn't follow the Schleitheim Confession.

Some good people but unqualified to vote because they wouldn't know a real Baptist from a hole in the Ground to paraphrase Randy Newman on Lester Maddox.

Stephen Fox

Thursday July 20

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:37 pm

I made a presentation of my friend Sam Hodges book For the Love of Alabama to the Collinsville Historical Association. It's an autographed copy from Sam and one of the celebrants is Ron Casey whose Mother was a contemporary of my Mother though I have no basis to believe they were acquainted.

There is a picture on my facebook wall of the Presentation with Martha Barksdale, Rebecca Clayton, Martha Momma B's granddaughter Brooklyn and myself.

Stephen Fox

Historic October 1 in Collinsville

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm

I visited the local FUMC last Sunday to hear the new woman preacher, the first time Ive heard an ordained woman in the pulpit in Collinsville. Native Becky Kennedy, now a Chaplain at Baylor made a presentation from the pulpit at Collinsville Baptist about 14 years ago, but she was not ordained at the time, and locals including Jennifer Wilkins, Kendy's good friend went to great lengths to say it was not a sermon.

New UMC pastor Carol Gullatt is a first. She did a grand job on the Text of Paul, Let this Mind be in You which was also in Christ Jesus.

I thought they were gonna have lunch after church but when I got there they said that was the week before. Jeff Patton said it was good and there was a lot of it. I asked Munsey Box, bobby welch great friend of the early 60s growing up in these parts if he was gonna buy my lunch cause of a confusing promotion and he said he was not. He comes from a banking family but no mercy for me Sunday. Patton said he wasn't buyin it either. Said Mike Mack Pheerson might buy it but they hadn't seen him in church if three years.

So I went to Jacks and bought my own after communion.

Stephen Fox

Good High School football

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:47 am

Oct 13 I went ten miles from Collinsville up on Sand Mtn to Crossville to see the Cvl Guntersville matchup. My friends the Raymond Weavers were there--Raymond a HS all american in 65 who married into one of the most influential families in Guntersville, Peggy Weaver, perfect ACT score of 36 on Math her senior year. He long time history teacher in Collinsville and she a legendary Math teacher, both now retired and resettled for the last 12 years or so in their home town of Guntersville.

They were at the game, spoke to them in first quarter and after the game.

Blanton Jones was qb for Crossville which got bumped up to 5a from overwhelming influx of Hispanics in their pocket of Dekalb County. Jones Mother Leah was a sub teach student of mine from her 8th grade on, and her beloved Mother Hortense, a good Baptist, was in the kitchen with several good women feeding 50 or so of my extended family members when Momma died, the funeral March 19, 1988

Blanton's next level best fortunes are likely in Baseball and Ive gone to bat for him at Carson newman and several other schools.

I told him Ive been promoting him as "uncorks like Ted Williams". He replied last Feb when I told him: "Who's Ted Williams"? We're working on that.

Guntersville was clearly in control of the gridiron contest, though Crossville has long time had a stellar music program and had the better band. But Blanton had his Lions on the Move early 3rd Quarter. On the Gville Wildcat 45 Blanton and his Lions went for it on 4th down, Down 28 to Zilch at the Time.

Crossville side had been quiet pretty much the old game. An Old Farmer with his wife smiling like she was on her first date a sparse row behind me, uttered within my hearing: " Here Comes Ever body" as the Wildcat Defense sent the Kitchen Sink and squashed Blanton.

In the crowds I did have a spirited conversation with a Guntersvillian a lawyer Mr. McGlaughlin who is a Bham Sthrn and Harvard Law Grad. He opposed Calvinist Will Ainsworth for state senate but like Blanton, got squished. 350 thou showed up out of nowhere for Ainsworth in a state senate race and now Will is runnin for Lt Governor. I was trying to stop him throwin in behind the daughter of the Bear's late career QB Scott Hunter, but she dropped out

Stephen Fox

Note for Casey Mattox and ADF

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:42 am

Stephen Fox

Nov 20 Duke Furman game/Basketball

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Collinsville pastor John Morgan II second son Mark is a Duke graduate. He was soundly defeated one on one by Shane Battier in the mid 90s in a challenge game. Mark got one point in a game to 15. Willimon was a mentor to Mark while there, but his four children now inhibit his prophetic voice in Collinsville on matters of immigration reform, my status in the church, and gerrymandering.

However he remains true to Duke Baksetball and rarely misses a game on TV. I think he went to Atlanta for a Regional about seven years ago.

Knowing My calbe is out and never offering , inviting me to his expansive home just a few miles up the road, Dukey bagen to make sport of the circumstances.... And I get voted out of the Babdist church where his Father has been pastor for 40 years because I don't have a sense of humor. Ask Donnnie Myers.

Last night; well this is the series of texts I received.

823, Can't gbelieve Furman is ahead at the half. They just might pull this off

829 I think the game has passed Coach K by

830 Baptist baptizing the Methodists with full immersion

838 This is embarrassing. Furman about to pull it off.

839. Grayson Allen just tripped a white kid. Furman up by 9 (BTW, I think this was his best of the imaginative series)

Allen kicked out., Coach K is cussing like a Cathoci

845 Coach K has a MAGA hat on. Such a patriot

847 Furman up by four with five minutes to go. Wojo so disappointed

848 Coach K has a Roy MNoore shirt on. Such a patriot!!!

855 Furman pulls it out by 3. We would have won with Grayson We shall never speak of this again

Upon seeing trhese texts screenwriter Russ Beene chimes in This doesn't bode well for the Iron Bowl.

Then putting things together he texted Wait, Duke Destoyed Furman. That's just mean.

Stephen Fox

See post of Nov 29 in Politics thread on Roy Moore

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:56 pm

about the local librarian and Oxford American magazine

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/magazine/ ... the-spirit

Stephen Fox

Penalizing the Poor

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:11 pm

I met Marian Wright Edelman at 16th Street BC in Bham January 31 2009. The next year she was the speaker for ML King Day at Limestone College in Gaffney SC, a mile from Bethany Baptist church where my Dad was pastor from 62-78.

Her husband Peter Edelman has written a new book about the court fee system and other matters that criminally penalize the poor.

In Alabama the court fee system is egregious and has been written up by an Auburn Student with the Auburn University Democracy Project which for about the last 8 years has had a presence in Collinsville. Mark Wilson, chair of th e last pulpit committee at FBC Auburn heads up the AULDP.

I got a ticket back in early December that will obliterate my Christmas cash and take a chunk of my very small social security stipend this month. I told the office for my offense a warning would be appropriate as he had the discrimination to punish an oversight to the tune of 300 dollars. He said it wouldn't be near that much.

In fact it is 255 dollars.

I'm thinking about the next step. I think it is a matter of moral concern for the CBF of Alabama and many others in the showcase base for the Trump Administration.

Stephen Fox

A similar thing happened to me in Collinsville

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Stephen Fox

Re: A similar thing happened to me in Collinsville

Postby Haruo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:28 pm