[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Christofascism--First time I've heard this term

Christofascism--First time I've heard this term

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Christofascism--First time I've heard this term

Postby Sandy » Tue May 30, 2017 10:53 am

http://religiondispatches.org/a-pence-p ... its-money/

Stephen finds these pieces. He's posted a fair collection of them here over the years, usually to prove a point, but frequently disconnected from the real point he wants to make.

Other than a brief hiatus during the Reagan years from the staunchly Democratic, labor union, populism that I grew up with, I've stayed away from right wing Evangelical politics. Though I've never seen this particular term before--Christopher Hutchins book, American Fascists being probably the closest I've seen connecting the ideology of fascism to right wing Christian politics--this kind of ideology is one reason I've avoided the political right. For one thing, the "all or nothing" commitment required of politicians on the issues makes common sense consideration of most positions impossible and blatantly inconsistent. If you're a right winger, you have to be for protecting the unborn, and against protecting anyone from exploitation in health insurance or health care. You can't be pro-life, and pro-union. I think that's ridiculous. You've sold out your faith if your politics overwhelms its identity.
Sandy

Re: Christofascism--First time I've heard this term

Postby Haruo » Tue May 30, 2017 11:12 am

That sort of all-or-nothingism is all too prevalent on the left, too.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue May 30, 2017 2:34 pm

It is, unfortunately, though I have to say, the Democratic party precinct meetings and regional conventions I've gone to usually feature a lot of back and forth discussion, and I've never had my mic cut off for bringing up something that's not completely consistent with the standard agenda. More things are negotiable, and more things get voted on.
Sandy

Postby Lou » Tue May 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Lou

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue May 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed May 31, 2017 10:01 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed May 31, 2017 10:07 am

Which strikes me as the mirror image of the "I would vote for [Hitler/Satan/Pol Pot...] as long as he would reverse Roe v. Wade" verbiage Evangelical Republicans occasionally (frequently?) come out with.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed May 31, 2017 10:14 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed May 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Sandy

Wayne Flynt gettin at same concern

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:37 pm

Google for the article if this link brings an intercept.

Evangelicals lost God and found Trump, Financial times.

Worth the search. Spotlights Bruce Gourley's PH D advisor and Harper Lee's good friend Wayne Flynt.
https://www.ft.com/content/b41d0ee6-1e9 ... 3f5a7f229c

And Sarah Pulliam Bailey has piece today on climate change and evangelicals in Wash Post.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Something else in the ballpark

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:34 am

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Wayne Flynt gettin at same concern

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:08 am