[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Something is amiss

Something is amiss

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Something is amiss

Postby Haruo » Mon May 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Something is amiss

Postby Sandy » Tue May 30, 2017 7:23 am

Constritutional rights aren't the GOP's strong suit. At least, not when it comes to individuals, free speech, and a free press.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 30, 2017 7:42 am

Not fake news but news that needs a bit of a broader reading.

1. There's no excuse for "bullet in the head" talk. Period.
2. There's no excuse for a death threat aimed at a legislator who supports enforcing immigration laws.
3. The more colorful language (bullet in the head) gets the headline and most of the attention, deservedly.
4. There's no fault to anyone for calling the law (ICE in this case) on illegal immigrants. We have laws.

But, yeah, something is amiss Haruo neither side should do this stuff.

Dems, illegals, and the like still don't like that they have lost the election and that policies will change.
Reps should slog through when they can with policy changes, even when the radical, rowdy, rioting, and profane leftists attempt to shut down democratic processes.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 30, 2017 7:46 am

OK, so reporters have being an a**hole as part of their job description. No excuse for body slamming the guy. Apology was issued ("you bwoke my glasses"). Throw the misdemeanor book at the Montana rich tech guy, now congressman who defeated the oddball cowboy.

Here's something else amiss: the most expensive house race in history. Democrat young dude who doesn't live in the district but is shacking up with his girlfriend in another part of the area secures funding from outside the state, tens of millions of funding. Almost won the primary in a district that Trump won by only 1%. Can the local pol, a non-college educated woman, win? We will see. I'm 50 miles away but get all the ads. Barf on both sides but especially the dem side.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue May 30, 2017 9:56 am

Couple of interesting observations.

Civil disagreement is dead. The hate-mongering that has been the primary feature of extremist right wing media like Rush Limbaugh and his ilk, leads to this sort of thing happening. People getting beaten at political rallies, encouraged by the candidate egging them on at the microphone, and the hateful name-calling is out of control. No one seems immune to it, though I don't hear it being incited by politicians or media personalities "on the left" like it spews out of those on the right. The Democrats gained seats in the Texas legislature during the last election, maybe this Republican was just a bit frustrated by the fact that he now has to sit near Representative Romero, Representative Blanco and Representative Nevarez (first name Poncho). The guy did call ICE, though it seems that all the protesters turned out to be there legally. The Texas capitol is a public building, and people have the right to protest there.

I suspect that the Republican candidate in Montana was likely frustrated by having to spend a fortune of his own money on campaigning for a seat that he should have won without spending much. Montana's a deep red state, one that Democrats win only when their Republican candidate is completely inept, or openly corrupt, as has been the case in the governor's race and a senate race. This guy wound up having to campaign, and raise and spend a considerable amount of money, far more than his opponent, to eke out a narrow win of a seat that his predecessor had won by 20% in November.

I think the race in Georgia will be skewed by overkill. Other friends of mine who live in the area say that it is information overload, though I'm sure the local news and radio outlets are loving it. William failed to mention that about 90% of the money flowing into the Republican candidate's war chest is also from the outside. Regardless of the outcome, the fact of Trump's declining popularity was underlined by Ossof's gathering right at half the vote in a district that the GOP candidate won by 15 in November, and that the loud Trump flag waver finished fourth, and under 10%. Maybe that kind of campaigning is what it takes to get votes out, though I hope not.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue May 30, 2017 10:34 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue May 30, 2017 10:37 am

I do it myself, and need to learn not to. I'm not singling you out here, William, except for that one instance.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 30, 2017 3:49 pm

Oh, single me out Haruo. I probably deserve it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues