[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Jonah: Prejudice for a People, Pity for a Gourd

Jonah: Prejudice for a People, Pity for a Gourd

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Jonah: Prejudice for a People, Pity for a Gourd

Postby Haruo » Mon May 22, 2017 12:39 pm

This is the title of a 2009 book by RLVaughn, according to his blog's bibliography thread. Since , is about Jonah, indeed, more or less consists of Jonah, this intrigues me. But I don't find it when I google the title. Robert?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Jonah: Prejudice for a People, Pity for a Gourd

Postby Rvaughn » Mon May 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Leland, that is a booklet produced for a Bible study on the book of Jonah at our church (as are several of the others on that list). It is no longer in print.

[Added: I sent you a pdf file.]
Last edited by Rvaughn on Mon May 22, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon May 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Too bad. If you ever find an extra copy lying around, consider me.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon May 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon May 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Thanks! I find Jonah a particularly interesting "minor prophet" (even though I don't think the book is either minor or a prophecy), and am always interested in others' takes on it. Although my "oratorio" is 20 years old this year, I am also still interested in feedback on my footnotes to it. Also, if you (or anyone) has any, interesting hymnic treatments of the matter. I intend to include "The ribs and terrors in the whale", probably set to a recent Polish-fasola tune, in "Sankta Harmonio".

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon May 22, 2017 9:54 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon May 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue May 23, 2017 2:56 pm

No, we've not sung it. I write so many songs I don't try to foist most of them on our local group to try. Just some once in awhile. We did sing a song a few years back that ended in the same way mine does, that was composed in seven shapes by a Primitive Baptist singing school group. It gives it a kind of "unfinished" sound, but I think that is mostly because of expectations rather than reality. I think a lot of that is what you get used to. Don't know if you use Walker's Christian Harmony up that way. It has several songs that start on odd/unexpected chords (although I believe they probably all end on the tonic).
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Tue May 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri May 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Our primary books are the 2012 Cooper Edition and the 1991 Denson book (with a few more singings from the former that the latter). We use the Christian Harmony 2010 at one annual singing, but attend several singings in Mississippi that use the Christian Harmony. I own both the American Christmas Harp and the Shenandoah Harmony -- nice books -- but we don't sing from them here. At least one (maybe more) of the Arkansas singings supplements the 1991 edition with the Missouri Harmony.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sat May 27, 2017 2:02 am

I don't think I've heard of any Missouri Harmony singings in the Pacific Northwest. I went to one in northern California that was half Denson and half Eclectic Harmony (the four-shape volume).

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum