[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Bruce Gourley magnificent on Baptists and False Narrative

Bruce Gourley magnificent on Baptists and False Narrative

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Bruce Gourley magnificent on Baptists and False Narrative

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:25 pm

http://pastarticles.christianethicstoda ... ArtID=1763

REad this one closely.

Thornton is correct Hillary lost in part cause a lot of women did not want to pay from 7 to ten thousand dollars in added health care premiums, so they held their nose and voted for Trump.

But Gourley has the higher ground, the prevailing picture about what ails America and the cancer at its soul.

Read in Tandem with current piece at nybooks.com "What Trump Can Do"

And the Gop Lifer Blog easy google The Myth of the southern strategy.

I'm taking this to the world of right wing Baptist talk political radio, the Tony Beam show in Upstate SC; and Rick Burgess of Rickandbubba in Alabama
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Bruce Gourley magnificent on Baptists and False Narrativ

Postby William Thornton » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Sorry, Hil didn't lose because of fake news. She lost because she was a terrible candidate who didn't connect well with people between NY and CA. Lord knows, she had plenty of money and staff to counter any news and create her own fake news.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Did Thornton read the article

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:14 pm

And let it ferment a little.

Not suckin up and remember My and Gourley's fiasco with the Collinsville Library--may be a couple paragraphs in a piece I'm considering to submit to Oxford American Mag--but Dr. Gourley has the high ground, the bigger story here.

Sorry Dr. Thornton, If there were no Fox News, and no fundamentalist takeover of the SBC, Hillary Clinton would be president today. The links at the end of my Barnum Blog convince me of something toward which I was leaning for thirty years.

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Sandy

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:17 pm

Gourley: With Trump now in the White House, evangelical Christians are closing ranks even more tightly around their strongman. In the estimation of some observers, so few are the evangelicals who remain committed to a world of truth that American evangelicalism may have finally destroyed itself.

One supposes that the “world of truth,” since it isn’t Trump’s, must be Hillary’s, the implied alternative, according to Gourley, who obviously does not consider himself a part of American Evangelicalism. More’s the pity. Of course, it would help if G had defined the “world of truth.” As he left it, Hillary, the personification of subterfuge, is far superior to the rank-closing evangelical Christians, her basketful of deplorables, the demented and xenophobic boobs. But that doesn’t include the elites, who already know among themselves what the “world of truth” is. Perhaps it’s encrypted on Hillary’s servers, which have already been read by the world’s hackers and good for laughable dinner conversations from Tuvalu to the Crimea. Of course, the pesky, deplorable evangelicals are now the only hope of ridding the world of the Muslim “world of truth,” always requiring using the sword as the only tool of converting folks to Islam. Jesus knew this ahead of time and told his disciples to arm themselves.
Jim

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Sandy

Black Baptists and Russ Moore

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:26 pm

http://christianindex.org/naaf-pres-urg ... e-critics/

Interesting development indeed.

Moore is no hero of mine. I well remember him coming to Bama to meet with the fundies in 97 or so and speak against my friend the novelist Vicki Covington when she was a visiting writer at Samford. Albert Lee Smith's Inquisition of Tom Corts centered on Covington in March of 93 when Steve Gaines and Dorsett of Central Baptist Bham was coming to Power. I was stealth monitor in the balcony but when I heard the panel come after Vicki, I came out of the balcony to sit behind Albert Lee on about the 7th row in a church packed full of fundy preachers, almost a thousand of em from across the state.

Corts said: "There is no virtue in sustained denunciation!"

Now Moore is getting a little of his own; then again that's fundamentalism at work.

And Rick Burgess is worried about Sharia Law. Have Mercy on his unwitting soul molesting soul.

Stephen Fox

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:24 pm

JE Pettibone

Re: Did Thornton read the article

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:33 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:39 pm

Sandy

Jeff Jones replies in Ga Bap Christian Index

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby Bruce Gourley » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Fox, I appreciate you posting a link to the Christian Ethics Today piece, and the good conversation in this thread.

The reply from Jeff Jones (?) is mere whitewashing. Baptists South and North of the antebellum Civil War era disagreed with him. Anyone can learn what Baptists actually said back then by reading my book (now in a second, revised printing) or visiting .

It's high time to drop the lies that the Civil War was not about slavery.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

My blog as it intersects current world of Russ MOore

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Thornton will want to know his buddy Dave Miller got notice in the Atlantic piece by Molly Ball

Here is my blog on the drama of the week with reference to Gourley and the false narrative and Russ Moore's predicament.

http://foxofbama.blogspot.com/2017/03/r ... oming.html

Stephen Fox

Confederate Monuments

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat May 20, 2017 11:43 am

Ive of two blog minds, or blog fogs on this one.

See my Proud to be a Furman Paladin in tandem with a Post this morning.

I think we know where Bruce Gourley lies, just outside Vernon Burton's camp I imagine.

I link Vernon on the Paladin blog

And my Criswell Trump musing of this morning

http://foxofbama.blogspot.com/2017/05/f ... aphic.html

Stephen Fox

Re: Did Thornton read the article

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat May 20, 2017 5:00 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby John Sneed » Sat May 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Let me lay out my own bias at the beginning. I am unashamedly a Conservative, very conservative, and a Calvinist. I also lean favorably towards the SBC. You all know me. That being said, I am up to my eyebrows in a master's thesis dealing with Southern Baptist beliefs during the Civil War. While I am still a small fish wading in the shallow end of the pool, I think I can say I am as up to date as one can be on this topic.

To the point. The cause of the Civil War was slavery. If slavery had not existed, neither would the war. True, there were other issues, for example, taxation, states rights and so on. All of these were subordinate to the issue of slavery, or they were issues because of the issue of slavery.

In the years before the Civil War, America was overwhelmingly Evangelical Protestant. These Protestants were concentrated primarily within three denominations, the Presbyterians, the Methodists and the Baptists. Each denomination experienced schism ... the Presbyterians in 1837, the Methodists in 1844 and the Baptists in 1845. The issue in all three cases was slavery. The Southern Baptist Convention came into existence to contend for the continuation of slavery as "God's providential plan for the black race." Along the way, the SBC involved itself in some interesting entanglements dealing with the separation of church and state, its place in the military and how it became a leading cheerleader for Confederate nationalism.

No one who is serious about looking at history can come to any conclusion except that slavery was THE issue of issues, both in the antebellum years and in the war itself.

I might note, even after the war. I read a quote from an author who said that segregation was the new slavery after emancipation.

I don't post much but it is nice to be allowed the occasional posting. Hello to you all. Until the next time.

John
John Sneed

Postby Sandy » Sat May 20, 2017 10:10 pm

The Civil War is, and always has been for me, one of the most fascinating events in history. That slavery survived as an economic institution as long as it did, in a country and a culture that was as much under the influence of the Christian church, and the Protestant churches, as it was is one of the most interesting sociological studies of all time. America, one of the foundational successes of the idea of a democratic Republic, and one of the most influenced by the Christian faith, held on to an anti-Christian institution longer than any other industrialized country in the world, fractured, and one of the fractured governments incorporated their belief in the principle that all men are not created equal, and black men are inferior, into their constutition. How much influence did the church have on the culture, for that to be the result? How much does it have now? It is too self absorbed.
Sandy

book for John Sneed

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun May 21, 2017 7:30 am

Do ready Walter Johnson's River of Dark Dreams and google Vernon Burton last week on the Monuments at Here and Now, NPR. I think the link is in my Paladin blog

I remain puzzled by Sandy who is an apologist for the fundamentalist takeover of the SBC, Trey Gowdy and Billy Graham and FBC Spartanburg, but asks the right questions about the Civil War. It's a mystery.

Back to John, Marilynne Robinson's novel Gilead. The Kabbalah therein is a great history lesson for some of the resolutions you are pursuing.

Stephen Fox

Rick Burgess NRA false narrative

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:43 pm

http://englewoodreview.org/marilynne-ro ... ion-essay/

Great essay aside by the Pulitzer prize winner on Resurrection of Jesus Christ, the translation of the Bible to KJV and the rise of Western Civiliz2tion.

She takes it right up the gut of the leadership of the NRA and 2nd Amendment that goes to the guts of the false narrative of Rick Burgess and his shenanigans with Baptist fundies in Alabama.

My open letter blog to Clemson trustee chair David Wilkins and Bama Lt Gov candidate Will Ainsworth whose mother is as poisonous as Tim Tebow's Mother. My blog to follow soon.

Stephen Fox

Letter to Ft Payn Alabama Times Journal

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Stephen Fox

Bruce on panel

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 11, 2018 3:46 pm