[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Invocation

Invocation

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Invocation

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:47 pm

We will have a special worship service at our church January 8. We will be installing our next pastor. We will have specially selected hymns, and Communion, 2 or 3 prayers, and a sermon by a guest speaker (state level). The chairperson of the Search Team would like for as many of us as possible to take part. I have been asked to give the "Invocation".
Before I accept this offer, I would like to get some feedback on what an "Invocation" should include. (up until now, I have only been asked to pray the Offering prayer). ..especially since we are at a place in the road that is a "new beginning".
I welcome suggestions on what such a prayer should include.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Invocation

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:34 pm

An invocation primarily means to "invoke" the presence of God. But largely it is a prayer that introduces the service and opens worship. I often ask God to help us focus on worship, put aside the cares of the world and gather us into the body of Christ for worship. In an installation service it would also be normal to mention something about asking God's blessing on the ministry that is beginning in this service, on the church and your new pastor.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:04 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:11 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:33 am

Missing and, where Chris is the invocant, much needed "t"", however!
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:57 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Timothy and Haruo may not be aware that the name of the new pastor is also "Chris", and I think Dave Roberts is referring to him. The person giving the Invocation is a Chris. The new pastor is a Chris. The interim pastor is a Chris. The chair of the church Cabinet is a Chris. Our members are going to HAVE TO get used to using last names. (or give all of us nicknames).
Chris

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:55 pm

This service may have to wait until Jan. 15. The forecast for our city is Snow all day Saturday with a high temp of 30. Overnight low Sunday morning to be 22 degrees. The high temp on Sunday will be below freezing. Tonight at Prayermeeting/BibleStudy, people were talking about the strong possibility we will have to cancel church this weekend. The question is: when do we make the decision and how do we notify everybody in time. Not everybody has email. Not everybody texts. Not everybody tweets. Phone bank time.
Chris

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:14 pm

January 15th will likely be church hopping time for me. from Chicago will be in town and has expressed an interest in attending church(es) with me that day. (He'll be here starting this weekend, but will be busy at that he is visiting this Sunday.) He's particularly fond of high-church liturgics, so I will probably drop Mrs. H. off at for choir practice, then hie my way out to Lynnwood to pick him (and his wife,I think) up and take them to the long mass at , then go back to JBC to pick up my helpmeet, and kick around town showing off the sights and maybe meeting up with other, less churchy Esperantists through the afternoon, then go to the service at the , and then top off the evening with . Although it will be too late even for your rescheduled service, Chris, if I have any epiphanies concerning invocations, I'll pass them along.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby James » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Chris Kurtz, the new pastor at North Riverside was, at one time, our Associate pastor, then short term interim pastor until Dave came as long term interim then associate again until he left us to take a church in South Carolina. He is a good hearted easy going man who has been through personal and ecclesiastical strife which, I think strengthened for a long term ministry. I pray that this is so.

The day I had my stroke, Chris was doing yard work. He was on call for pastoral duties. When he got the call. He came immediately. No time to get prettied up. Judy remembers his solid presence going through this scary experience. He is a good preacher, counselor and friend. He also has a good humor.

I just talked to Judy. If we can get the word that North Riverside is having service on Sunday and HBC is not, we will try to make it to NR which is closer to our home than HBC is. Some day soon our choir will be singing the early service and we will be free at 11:00. Then we will probably sing at HBC, skip Sunday School and worship at North Riverside at 11:00.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:57 pm

The most recent forecast for Newport News-Hampton VA, is for 8-12 inches of snow to fall between 2am and 5pm Saturday. The temp will not go above freezing until Tuesday morning..so the snow wont go away or melt very quickly. I wont be the one to make the call, but I'm thinking the Kurtz installation service will likely be postponed one week.
Chris

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:00 pm

The Installation service has been postponed until Jan. 15. I think that was a wise decision.
Chris

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:56 am

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Chris » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Chris

Postby James » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Chris. I think we will finally make it to North Riverside. Call me if you will be there. This is assuming that Chris will be preaching.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:31 pm

Chris

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum