[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Deleted facebook fun in Alabama

Deleted facebook fun in Alabama

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Deleted facebook fun in Alabama

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Now saved at least temporarily for posterity. Been an afternoon of exchanges on Forgotten Alabama getting deep in the weeds with some apparent Baptists about a sign on the Interstate 65 about going to church or going to Hell

Ah, Mr. Fox, As I followed your banter with Ms. Croley, I began to realize that you had an agenda. BAB! There it is. Promoting yourself and your blog.
I wondered why you listen to and know so much about that, and those whom you hold such disdain for. I think you were raised in church and some where along the way your toes were stepped on by the truth of the Gospel, so now, anyone who aligns with Judaeo Christian values reminds you of your past experience. As far as President Elect Trump is concerned, I think you will find that most of the votes he received across the Nation were actually votes against Clinton and the continuation of dismantling the Greatness of the United States of America. May our God, of all creation, Bless you and give you peace.

Like · Reply · 35 mins

Stephen M. Fox

Stephen M. Fox Linda Reach Moore I imagine you are a fundamentalist and a devout one at that. It looks like you are fairly literate have a comprehension level that you could understand what Neil J Young said a few days ago at religiondispatches re Russell Moore of t...See More

Like · Reply · 31 mins

Stephen M. Fox

Stephen M. Fox And I am proud of TomCorts, the former President of Samford for resisting it. There are several books you willlikely go to your grave never reading and most likely nobody on your church staff will read. Molly Worthen's Apostles of Reason and Wuthnow's ...See More

Like · Reply · 28 mins

Stephen M. Fox I am convinced Hillary Clinton,like Obama are better Christians than you can ever imagine given the fundy leadership you apparently adore. But I will concede I had the thought the other day, that retrospectively had an election of Romney four years ago...See More

Like · Reply · 25 mins

Stephen M. Fox Linda Reach Moore And it appears you and your contemporary friends are college educated and of some Alabama means and you adore the Tide. What is wrong with engaging the students and some of Saban's football players in a conversation at St Francis Cath...See More

Like · Reply · 21 mins

Stephen M. Fox Linda Reach Moore Jeremiah Wright mighta been prescient for the likes of RickLance and others when he said the chickens have come home to roost.Like at the title ofthis piece, time to face the facts

Like · Reply · 18 mins

Stephen M. Fox

Stephen M. Fox http://religiondispatches.org/time-to-f ... -white.../

Time to Face Facts: White Evangelicalism Has Always Been…

religiondispatches.org|By Neil J. Young

Like · Reply · Remove Preview · 18 mins

Stephen M. Fox

Stephen M. Fox And as you seem to have some investment in your culture bound religion, do google the piece in the New Yorker of last fall about Russ Moore of the SBC and how the fundamentalist takeover has come full circle to bite him in the ass.

Like · Reply · 17 mins

Stephen M. Fox

Stephen M. Fox Linda Reach Moore Does your family member RA Moore the Navy Chaplain know chief Army Chaplain Doug Carver?

Like · Reply · 11 mins

Stephen M. Fox

Stephen M. Fox And what woulda white woman in Alabama thorougly basted in the better homes and garden of her southern religion know about the "truth of the Gospel". Name for me the Three Christian martyrs of the 20th Century in bust at Westminster Abbey could be prod...See More

Like · Reply · 8 mins

Linda Reach Moore

Linda Reach Moore Stephen M. Fox actually, the take over began a little further back. But, there always has been and always will be divisions between men and women on the topic of Religion due, mostly, to their own knowledge, or lack there of, of Holy Scripture. Man will never have a clear understanding in his own strength. We can not rewrite Scripture, and hard as some may try, neither can we rewrite history. If, and I mean IF, people would only stop trying to change the two to fit ones own lifestyle, limited knowledge, or misguided feelings, I believe there could be room for America to hold onto our fundamental foundation of how one must deal with each other and with government. AND live in relative peace. Since you are so well read, I fell sure that you have read the Bible, and you are aware that Christians are given instructions to go into the world teaching the good news (paraphrasing), the good news being that God sent His Son, Jesus, into the world to save those who are lost, lost meaning without knowledge of and a relationship with Jesus Christ. I agree that there are pushy Christians, not all of us are. Many times the lives we live speak volumes and others ask what we have that they don't. I pray that you come in contact with someone who will love you where you are in your life and allow you to seek Christ and choose Heaven as your free gift.

Like · Reply · 7 mins

Stephen M. Fox

Stephen M. Fox Look what Billy Graham and Ruth for all their devout evangelism has come to. It brought their son Franklinto be on the platform last week in Mobile with Jeff Sessions and Donald Trump. Those martyrs I mentioned. Bonhoeffer, Martin King and Oscar Romero like my acquaintance UMC Bishop Willimon tried to witness to Jeff Sessions, to put it nicely Sessions was mistaken. So Sessions is mistaken about Scripture according the the Bishop, and he is mistaken about the Constitution according to the legacy of Judge Frank Johnson, a Lincoln Republican.

Like · Reply · 3 mins

Stephen M. Fox

Stephen M. Fox Long story short cauxe I am too smart for you to convert me and you are too stubborn to concede you are on the wrong side of history, let's be civil. Whatever virtue I have at this moment, do find the humiltiy to concede you may not know everything you think you know, and in January read the Pulitzer Prize Marilynne Robinson chapter Memory in the Givenness of Things. Have your ladies group read it with you. Robinson has a high view of Scripture, even John Calvin and Jonathan Edwards. Enjoyed the exchange. Lets agree to pick it up later. Meantime check my interview with my friend Ron Rash, in the September 2010 archive of my blog. I think you may like the concluding poem, church service in 1959

Unable to post comment. Try Again
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Deleted facebook fun in Alabama

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:55 am

Wow, I never realized that the problem was that what stepped on your toes was the truth of the Gospel.

I'll have to ponder that.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Deleted facebook fun in Alabama

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:51 am

Sandy

Interesting analysis

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:27 am

On first read I think I agree with about 90 percent of how you unpack Mouw.

Marilynne Robinson has a high view of Scripture and Jonathan Edwards. My next blog will attempt to square her with Molly Worthen, not to entertain William Thornton but to try to figure how I got blocked from the facebook wall of the local HS historian, a good fellow, who has recently networked with the chair of the pulpit committee at FBC Auburn, Mark Wilson, on an Auburn University Democracy Project.

I don't know if the joke is on me but the refiners fire about has me down to the embers. I fear I didn't follow Iris Demint's advice and Let the Mystery Be.

Go See Manchester by the Sea. I think the main character is going to Heaven.

As for McKissic, I think he has a good soul but would love to be on his dissertation committee when he explains how Paul Pressler and Jesse Helms were good for the guts of Southern Baptist work in America. And I still don't know if he has read Harvey's Moses Jesus and the Trickster. I wish you would ask him for me.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist History and Heritage