[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - John Lister Ross, 1916-1968

John Lister Ross, 1916-1968

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

John Lister Ross, 1916-1968

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 am

Today is the hundredth anniversary of the birth of my father, John Lister Ross. Born in Northport, Washington, on December 14, 1916 to John Ross and Elsie Lister Ross, he grew up in Kettle Falls and subsequently Spokane, graduating in January, 1936, from North Central High School, and studied briefly at Washington State College in Pullman and then Whitworth College in Spokane. After receiving a bachelor's degree in metallurgical engineering from the University of Washington, he studied theology at the Berkeley Baptist Divinity School (now American Baptist Seminary of the West), receiving his BD in 1945, and then a couple years later, having meanwhile married my mother, Janet Jacobsen, an STM from Newton Theological Seminary (later part of Andover-Newton) and completing a pastoral apprenticeship as Youth Pastor at First Baptist Church of Malden, Massachusetts, under the mentorship of Dr. Hillyer Straton. Returning to the Puget Sound area, he served 1947-1950 as Pastor of Grace Baptist Church, Tacoma, and 1950-1952 as Pastor of Calvary Baptist, Seattle, now Wedgwood Community Church. From 1953 to his death in 1968, he was Director of what began as the Baptist-Disciples Student Center at the University of Washington, later (after the UCC joined) known as Koinonia Center, a founding component of the subsequent Covenant House student center, which may still exist although the Baptists and Disciples no longer participate at the pastoral level. He was active in the Civil Rights movement, meeting and on at least one occasion marching with Dr. King, and taking students from Seattle with him to demonstrations in the Southeast (as well as here in Seattle), and in the early stages of Christian opposition to the War in Vietnam (he was a charter member of the Seattle chapter of CALCAV). The last year of his life he was on Sabbatical leave from Koinonia Center, and got a position filling in for a missionary on stateside furlough at the Waseda Hoshien Christian Student Center in Tokyo, where he taught conversational English and lectured (in English with simultaneous translation by Miyabe-sensei) on topics like The Secular City, the "Death of God" Theology, and the American Civil Rights movement. Three weeks after our return to Seattle, both my parents were killed in a traffic accident.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: John Lister Ross, 1916-1968

Postby William Thornton » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:09 am

I appreciate the brief bio, Haruo, and enjoyed reading it.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:50 am

Yes that was very interesting.

I barely missed intersecting with your dad at UW. I was there from Sept 1968 to March 1972.

I do not recall the Baptist-Disciples Student Center or the Koinonia Center or Covenant House. The only student Christian organizations near Campus I remember were the Baptist Student Union on 45th Street (was that the same as the "Baptist-Disciples Student Center"?) and the University Christian Union House (UCU) at 16th Avenue and 47th Street which is where I lived for three years. Also the Campus Crusade for Christ (CCC) was active but did not have a location.

I would have benefitted from participating at the Baptist-Disciples Student Center. I had fallouts at the UCU and the CCC over my denial of biblical infallibility. I also had major health problems (tens of blot clots, 7 hospital stays, 4 pulmonary emboli, ending with a vein cava Miles Clamp and coumadin for life). About half of the 30 UCU students thought that my religious views was the cause of my health problems. By my senior year I left living there. Although I had couple of friends, cousin Linda Johnson Morris (who you met at 1st Covenant), and the Youth Minister at 1st Covenant that visited me while in Swedish Hospital, I had no one to talk theology with. If they were talking such things as Cox’s Secular City, which I read at that time, the Koinonia Center have filled that void.

Your dad seems like a very perceptive and giving person.

One more thing, I will be rooting for UW vs my beloved BAMA football team. And my son has bought us tickets to the game at 3:00 PM EST in the Georgia Dome.
Last edited by KeithE on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:20 am

:D Gee I wish I had know you were at Swedish, I could have come over on the bus from Kirkland and we could have discussed theology or fresh baked brownies or life at Lake Washington High School. Then when you were better you could come over to my house and we could take the pony for a spin in the cart in the front pasture and I could show you my tree house (watch over on the right side, the floor boards are beginning to rot). If you didn't mind Presbyterians you could always sit in on a rehearsal of the Power and Light Company. We had a road show of "Tell It Like It Is" from 1970 till 72 and started working on another one around the time Leland and I graduated in 72.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:08 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:35 am

Thank you for sharing about your Father, Haruo!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:13 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:17 pm

The Wesley Foundation at University of Northern Iowa shares facilities with the Episcopal Church's campus ministry there.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:34 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:35 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:41 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:33 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:46 pm

I could be wrong about the location of Westminster House. The bldg I'm thinking of is small and nondescript. I think now the Presbyterian campus ministry is on 16th behind the church.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:25 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Great tribute

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks for sharing Haruo. I second much of the response to this point.

If he marched in Selma in 65 he woulda been there with Furman's TC Smith and , one of the cofounders with Clarence Jordan of Koinonia Farms.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist History and Heritage