[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Phyliss Schlafly key ally in Fundy SBC Takeover, is Dead

Phyliss Schlafly key ally in Fundy SBC Takeover, is Dead

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Phyliss Schlafly key ally in Fundy SBC Takeover, is Dead

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:22 pm

http://religiondispatches.org/phyllis-s ... for-trump/

Paul Harvey has the definitive piece on Schlafly. Atlantic.com and NY Times have exhaustive pieces as well.

She was active in Pressler and Helms wider world and had the ear of Eunie Smith in Alabama, Albert Lee Smith's wife. As Such she was an influence on the Inquisition of Samford president Tom Corts in 1993 and was an advocate for all the troubles Pressler's Birch Society and right wing network dished out to JAmes Dunn when they were after the Baptist Joint Committee
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Phyliss Schlafly key ally in Fundy SBC Takeover, is Dead

Postby William Thornton » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:55 am

Deep-sixed the Equal Rights Amendment.

RIP
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:40 am

Here's a quote from the book jacket of her book scheduled to come out, The Conservative Case for Trump.

"This is a grave mistake, Schlafly says—because a Donald Trump “radical redirection” could actually set America back on the path of Reagan’s conservative revolution."

It makes me want to read the book, and see exactly what she thinks the "case" is. I remember how active her "Eagle Forum" was during the Clinton administration based on a hard line conservative, religious right social agenda. As William mentioned, she deep-sixed the ERA. What fascinates me is that from a core philosophical perspective Trump is the antithesis of both the religious right, and the extreme political right that she helped to define, and he's the polar opposite of the Reagan revolution. Take a close look at the derision and contempt he shows for Republican politicians who still hold to those Reaganesque principles and platforms, he attacks them harder and with more hatred than he attacks Hillary Clinton, who is closer to him in both philosophy and practice. His main surrogates in the GOP are odd ball people who share his philosophy that bribery and corruption can be put to good use to your own advantage. None of the GOP candidates of any sigificance who stood in the "Reagan Revolution" shadow during the primaies have even endorsed him.

It takes almost absolute, complete and total abandonment of virtually every value and principle articulated by her movement over the last three decades to support Trump. Hillary Clinton is a closer ally, from a worldview and philosophical perspective, and in terms of actual social action, than Donald Trump. And the more I see religious and political conservatives trying to make a case for Trump, the more I believe that they are much more about the power chase, and the money, than they ever were about the values, and all the talk about "values voters" and "moral majority" was just a way to dupe people by connecting their sincerely held religious beliefs to a political platform in order to build a power base for themselves, and feather their own nests. Their claim to a "Biblical worldview" basically involved infiltrating the government and using its power to achieve their agenda. Voters have slowly rejected that approach, so now their aim is to simply destroy the apparatus. If that's where her book goes, then she's laid waste to her own legacy.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:56 am

She endorsed Trump.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:39 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:35 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:45 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Tell Eunie Smith

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:24 pm

And all the Birchers in Jerry Vines Schafly wasn't an ally in the fundy takeover of the SBC and see if they believe you.

Her being a Catholic is like Pressler saying he was a Democrat.

A Ruse

The Fundy takeover artists had more in common with Roman Catholicism than they had in common with authentic Baptists.

Al Mohler will tell you that much.

So Yes, Sandy, Schlafly was an ally of the Takeover!!!!!

Ask Bruce Gourley. I have a can of tennis balls that says he agrees with me

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Schlafly entwined with Pressler's Council for National Polic

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:05 pm

And Eunie Smith's husband was in deep with Pressler and Helms. Eunie was head of Eagle Forum for Alabama so all indications are from Birch Society to Eagle Forum Schlafly was very much aware and and advocate for Pressler's takeover and Im convinced she had a vendetta against Jimmy Carter and Pressler or Albert Lee gave Monthly if not weekly updates.

Tim Bonney can laugh all he wants and Sandy can rant at every post I make but I stand with Harold Bloom and Randall Balmer and my offer of a can of tennis balls is still up for Bruce Gourley if he will grace our conversation here.

In meantime here is my friend Randall Balmer in this weeks LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html

Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:13 pm

I can't help in Stephen. You seem to tie everything in the world to the SBC takeover, almost in the same way that conspiracy theorists tie everything the illuminati and the "New World Order."

As painful as the takeover was, it has been more than 30 years now. When does it become old news?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Princeton and Dartmouth

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:30 pm

are still writing about the aftershocks and refining the history.

Princton's Robert Wuthnow in Rough Country and Randall Balmer in recent political pilgrimage bio of President Carter.

I'll continue to follow that conversation while you and Sandy engage in your petty dismissals.

Otherwise the best.

Oh and just in the last two months Anatomy of a Schism adds a feminist perspective to the Takeover; and Trey Gowdy is very real and Al Mohler's eruption of Billy Graham and his role in the Takeover was within this last year.

As Elvis said to Dick Nixon, Mr President you run your show and I'll run mine.

In meantime fun checkin in with you and Sandy when necessity merits.

Hope Thornton reads my blog on Slapout Alabama and the circumstances I left Gaffney SC.

Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:58 pm

Write whatever you like Stephen. It certainly doesn't bother me. (As long as you don't find a way to connect the Methodists to the SBC Takeover that is. :lol: )
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:39 pm

I just remember the mother of one of my clients when I was doing in home care for severely disabled children got all excited about the "Eagle Forum" . She showed me a newsletter written by Mrs. S, an she had some very nasty things to say about women in the military, and it was pretty obvious she had no idea what she was talking about. Being a female veteran myself, what she had to say did not go over well with me and I filed her newsletter under "too likely to upset my finches to use as bird cage lining". :roll: Being a good wife and mother is a high calling, I have been there and done that. Now let me get back to my power tools and a stack of boards. I have a fence to repair and if that is a subversive activity for a woman--- too bad. :wink:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Re: Princeton and Dartmouth

Postby William Thornton » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:56 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:14 pm

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:07 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:57 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:17 am

Mrs. H. posted on my FB page last night.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:11 pm

Sandy

Takeover friends Metaxas and Barton officially on Trump Team

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:07 pm

And Okey's SBC Prez son in law OK Senator James Lankford mentioned in this piece from Religion Dispatches

http://religiondispatches.org/trump-doe ... t-for-him/

I'm even more provocative in my latest blog with reference to what I learned at the Furman Pastor's school in early 90s. Thornton will want to read that one and my leavetaking of Upstate SC in 78

I have not read Anatomy of a Schism yet but had exchanges with the author. I think there is an easily googled review at Baptist global news.

Just posted review link in CBF Forum

Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:54 pm

It wasn't a review but an interview of the author. Nonetheless, it was interesting.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:37 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

I called a BGEA Staffer yesterday

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:29 pm

He was pretty defensive. I recommended my blog on the Trump event in Asheville NC Monday

I went to Billy Gee crusade in 66 in Greenville SC. Took Steve Wright and I think he got saved. I think we went back for another dose.

Saw Billy Gee the first time in Miami at the SBC in early 60s. I think the Baptist TV Star whose name I once remembered but forgotten again was there too.

The 66 crusade was the event Steven Miller was discussing at Vandy that sparked his book on Billy and Nixon.

One of my great friends who happens to be poc, used to do camera for WSPA live broadcast of Sunday Morning service at FBC Spartanburg, but I don't think I ever set foot in it though drove by many times. I did talk to some folks at Hubcity book publishers the other day and thoroughly enjoyed the current piece in Oxford Am mag, John Grisham's publication banned at the Collinsville Public Lyberry; the FU Grad George Singleton's piece on Spartanburg's Westgate Mall with the awful politically incorrect joke about sporting goods stores.

I think page 88

As this thread is turning into another carnival, here is a link for Thornton and all will relish my latest blog on Dabo Swinney, Kaepernick and Black Lives Matter.

Forsyth Co, Ga, Sundown town Oprah made even more famous and now UMC minister's son ices the cake.

Distinction between Hall and Forsyth notable in 1912

http://www.patrickphillipsbooks.com/

Stephen Fox

Next

Return to Baptist History and Heritage