[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - My hymnal collection

My hymnal collection

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: My hymnal collection

Postby Haruo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:22 am

Thanks for posting that; there's a lot there for me to envy! ;-)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Koester » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Shawn Koester

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Yes, seeing other's lists of books is always a reason to want to add to your own book collection!

I noticed a few books that I somehow failed to put on my list:

Baptist Hymnal (1975) Convention Press
Favorite Hymns of Praise (Shape Note Edition) Tabernacle Publishing
Hymnal: A Worship Book Kenneth Nafziger/Brethren Press
Hymns for the Camp Unknown/Soldier's hymn book
The New National Baptist Hymnal National Baptist Publishing Board
Sing to the Lord: Hymnal Ken Bible/Lillenas

As if looking at the lists of others isn't enough to get our desire for a larger collection going, I have started a post called "List of Baptist hymn books and hymnals." This is a list I've been working on for a few years. It is found here:
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Leland, Shawn, thanks! Your posts here about hymnal collections gave me incentive to look back through my library program list -- since I noticed a few missing. I've gone through more carefully today and found another dozen or so that I never entered in my program:

Above the Shadows (4): Special Songs of Herbert Buffum, and Other Favorites Herbert Buffum Jr. 1951
Action Songs and Choruses for Boys and Girls, Number 3 Singspiration 1952
Favorites, Number Four: Gospel Songs for solos, duets, trios, quartets and group singing Singspiration 1956
Hymns of Zion: A Selection of Sacred Songs and Hymns for Devotional Use Apostolic Christian Publishing Company 1958
Mull's: Our Recorded Songs Number 3 Jacob Bazzel Mull 1975
Mull's Singing Convention: Number 4 Jacob Bazzel Mull 1982
Mull's Singing Convention: Number 5 Jacob Bazzel Mull 1992
Mull's Singing Convention: Number 7 Jacob Bazzel Mull 2000
New Songs of Inspiration No. 2 John T. Benson Jr. 1955
Revival Specials No. 2 by John Richard Rice 1965
Sacred Selections For The Church Ellis J. Crum 1977
The Cokesbury Hymnal, for General Use in Religious Meetings (Shaped Notes) Harold Hart Todd 1923
The Hymnal 1982: according to the use of the Episcopal Church 1982
Zion's Harp: a Collection of Hymns and Songs for the Apostolic Christian Church of America 1958/1989

I also have hundreds of the little quarterly Stamps-Baxter-type convention books -- many that I inherited from my Dad and some I collected myself. So far I've not have the energy to try to enter them!
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:09 am

I recently discovered some "Old Baptist" song books I wasn't aware of, and hope to get some of them if they are not out of print.

United Baptist
Old Family Song Book by Douglas Ward, Oil Springs, KY

Old Regular Baptist
Old Regular Baptist Song Book by John M. Elkins
Old Time Singing by Elder Scott Hamilton

Apparently no universities have them, at least not any whose content is on WorldCat. The first is mentioned in two places and the latter two mentioned only once (as far as I can find on the internet).

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:14 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Haruo is now officially my facebook friend

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:26 pm

And as Leland has engaged the conversations with Friends of Sacred Harp

If William Thornton sees this, consider it an invitation to read my blog on Slapout Alabama
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Haruo is now officially my facebook friend

Postby David Flick » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:32 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:59 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:01 am

I think the OSU game ending was a travesty...somebody oughta sue somebody over it.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:33 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:55 am

"Slapout" looks like the kind of place where after several hours of driving, the kids are fighting in the back seat and you have had enough so you are tempted to slap them and throw them out of the car. :o
Now back to our regularly scheduled hymnal collecting thread.......
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:51 am

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:55 pm

Just got a copy of the North American Hymnal (German Baptist) in the mail today, amazed that I never saw this one before (in this neck of the woods there are a whole lot more Swedish Baptists than German ones). I also got a copy of Buell Cobb's . Have you read Cobb, Stephen, either this one or his later ? And have you read Kiri Miller's ?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:59 am

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks, Robert. Do you know the copyright status of the Mvskoke (Muskogee, aka Creek) hymns? And can you tell if they scan well to standard hymn tunes? I'd love to include one in Sankta Harmonio!

Yes, the North American Hymnal is the one you cite, and I got it for about ten bucks, post paid, from a used reseller via Amazon. The cover's a bit beaten up but it's otherwise complete and intact. What amaxzes me even more than the fact that I was until recently unaware of this book is the fact that so were the indexers at the DNAH and Hymnary.org. I just entered it and began indexing last night. (Link should be live at some point today. )

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:13 am

The two little booklets I ordered were published recently enough that they (at least as books) are still under copyright. I'm thinking some of the hymns probably aren't under copyright. The original Nakcokv Esyvhiketv should be out of copyright. An edition of it can be found at archive.org:

Looks like most of the hymns are arranged to suit metered tunes. You should be able to use one of those.

If you scroll down to the bottom of that page you should also see a link to Dakota Odowan, an 1879 Dakota language hymn book. It has tunes as well as hymns.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:12 am

Yeah, I have good usable texts in Cherokee, Chinook Jargon, Dakota, and several other indigenous North American languages, but didn't have any Muskogee. Thanks.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:12 pm

Here's a list I did today of 389 hymnals (or like items) I have (actually, a few of them are databases rather than items); one has been added since.

200 Scripture Songs You love to sing...
¡Despertad y cantad!
[Sgaw Karen Baptist Hymnal, 1963]
A New Hymnal for Colleges and Schools
A New Now Youth Folk Hymnal
Action Songs for Boys and Girls, Vol.2
Adoru kantante
ADORU, Ekumena Diserva Libro
African American Heritage Hymnal
AGO Founders Hymnal
Al Dio sonu nova kant'!
Al Smith's Choice Collection of Gospel Solos for Low Voice
Al Smith's Choice Collection of Gospel Solos for Low Voice Book Number Four
Al Smith's Choice Collection of Gospel Solos for Low Voice Book Number Three
Al Smith's Choice Collection of Gospel Solos for Low Voice Book Number Three
Al Smith's Choice Collection of Gospel Solos for Low Voice Book Number Two
Alabanza Cubana Para las Naciones
All-American Church Hymnal
An American Christmas Harp
An Eclectic Harmony II: A Collection of Tunes In a great variety of Styles and Metres from early seven-shape songbooks in use today & new compositions Submitted for the Spiritual Upliftment and Enjoym
An Eclectic Harmony: A Collection of Four-Shape Tunes Old and New, in a great variety of Styles and Metres from sources additional to the Denson Revisions of The Sacred Harp submitted for the Spiritua
Annotations upon Popular Hymns
Assembly Songs
At the Lighting of the Lamps: Hymns of the Ancient Church
Awaken Your Heart: new songs for the spiritual journey and new texts with familiar hymn tunes
Baptist Hymnal 1956
Baptist Hymnal 1975
Baptist Hymnal 1991
Baptist Hymnal 2008
BDSA's "Own" Song Book
Beams of Heaven: Hymns of Charles Albert Tindley
Better Than Pearls: sacred songs expressly adapted for gospel meetings
beyond a dream
Billy Graham Crusade Songs 1960
Blessed Assurance: Hymns of Fanny J. Crosby
Borning Cry, Second Edition, Volume I
Bread of Life Scripture Songs
Bring Many Names
Cáliz de Bendiciones: Himnario Discipulos de Cristo
Calvary Melodies Book One
Cáng ciō séng sĭ
Canticle, the Franciscan University Hymnal
Carols for Choirs 1: Fifty Christmas Carols
Carols for Choirs 2: Fifty Carols for Christmas and Advent
Celebrating Grace Hymnal
Chalice Hymnal
Choice Light and Life Songs
Choice Songs for Youth No. 1
Christian Science Hymnal
Christian Science Hymnal Supplement: hymns 430-462
Christian Science Hymnal: words only
Christian Service Songs
Christian Worship: a hymnal
Christmas Carols and Songs for Singing
Christmas Customs and Carols
Christmas Favorites
Community of Christ Sings
Country & Western Gospel Hymnal Volume One
Cousins' Christmas Carol Collection
Cousins' Christmas Carol Collection, revised 2006 edition
Crowning Glory No. 1: a choice collection of gospel hymns
Dakota Odowan: Dakota hymns
Dare to Run Songbook: 51 Contemporary Songs
Deluxe 200 Christmas Song Book
Devotional Hymns
Diservoj: Ekumena Diserva Libro Prov-eldono 2-a kajero
Emanuel's Praise
Esperanta Himnaro
Espero Internacia
Espero Katolika, Numero 1-3/2009 (Kantoj post Adoru)
Evangel Songs
Evangelia Kantaro
Evangelical Lutheran Hymnary
Evangelical Lutheran Worship
Evangelisches Gesangbuch
Evangelisches Kirken-Gesangbuch
Evergreen Sings
Exalt Him! Songs for Celebration & Praise: プレイズ & ワーシップ ソングブック
Favorite Hymns of Praise
Field Service Book
First Supplement to the Hymnal (1956)
Folk Celebration
Folk Encounter (the NOW hymnal)
For the Living of These Days
Fresh Laurels for the Sabbath School, A new and extensive collection of music and hymns. Prepared expressly for the Sabbath Schools, Etc.
Full Redemption Songs
Gather Comprehensive
Gather Comprehensive, Second Edition
Gesangbuch der Evangelisch-Methodistischen Kirche
Get All Excited: TRUTH Sings Bill Gaither
Glad Tidings in Song
Glorious Gospel Hymns
Glory & Praise Parish Music Program
Glory to God: the Presbyterian Hymnal
Gospel Hymnal
Gospel Hymns and Sacred Songs: as used by them in gospel meetings
Gospel Singing Caravan TV Favorites
Great Gospel Songs and Hymns
Great Revival Hymns No.2
Great Songs of the Church. number two: a treasury of six hundred sacred songs suitable for all services of the church
Healing Waters
Heavenly Highway Hymns shape notes
Heavenly Voices
Help us to Help Each Other: Hymns for Life and Ministry with the Poor
Himnario Bautista
Himnaro Esperanta, 4-a eld.
Himnaro Esperanta, 5-a eld.
Himnaro: Unua Kolekto
Himnos de gloria: cantos de triunfo
Himnos de la Iglesia
Himnos de la Vida Cristiana
Himnos de Vida y Luz
Himnu la Komunumo
His Praise
Hymnal 1982: according to the use of the Episcopal Church
Hymnal and Order of Service: for churches and Sunday-schools
Hymnal for Church and Home (2nd ed.)
Hymnal Supplement 1991
Hymnal Supplement II
Hymnal: A Worship Book
Hymnbook for Christian Worship
Hymns (Witness Lee et al.)
Hymns (The hymnal of the Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship)
Hymns and Songs of the Spirit
Hymns for a Pilgrim People: a congregational hymnal
Hymns for Creative Living
Hymns for Creatures Great and Small
Hymns for Junior Worship
Hymns for Praise and Worship
Hymns for Signing (American Sign Language)
Hymns for the Family of God
Hymns for the Living Church
Hymns from the Four Winds: A Collection of Asian American Hymns
Hymns In The Vineyard
Hymns of Faith
Hymns of Faith and Life
Hymns of Glorious Praise
Hymns of Glory No. 2
Hymns of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Hymns of the Saints: Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Hymns of Truth & Light
Hymns of Truth and Praise
Hymns: The Hymnal of Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship
In Praise We Sing: Two-part treble voices (Book 1)
Inspiring Hymns
JourneySongs Second Edition
Joy is like the Rain: Piano-Vocal Collection
Jubilant Praise: for young people's societies, Sunday Schools, and Church Prayer Meetings
Junior Hymns and Songs: for use in Church School, Sunday Session, Week Day Session, Vacation Session, Junior Societies (Judson Ed.)
Kantoj el Taizé: Ekumena Preĝ- kaj Kantaro Prov-eldono 1-a kajero
Kantu al la Eternulo
Ki̱jndá‑lá Na̱'ín‑ná ‑ Cantemos al Señor (Segunda edición)
Laudes Domini: a selection of spiritual songs ancient and modern
Leben und Loben: Neue Lieder für die Gemeinde
Let's just Praise the Lord (Music Edition)
Let's Sing
Liberala Himnaro
Lift Every Voice and Sing II: an African American hymnal
Light and Life Songs No. 3
Lillenas' Solos and Duets No. 1
Little Book of Favorite Hymns: designed as a supplement for the Primitive Baptist Hymn and Tune Book
Living Hymns
Living Hymns: the small hymnal: a book of worship and praise for the developing life
Living Way Hymnal
Lone Favorites: Our Favorite Songs
Look and Live Songs
Look Up
Low Voice Treasury: 101 Contemporary and Time-Honored Favorites
Lutheran Book of Worship
Lutheran Worship
Majesty Hymns
Make Christ King: a selection of high class gospel music for use in general worship and special evangelistic meetings
Melodies of Praise
Melodious Accord Hymnal
Mennonite Brethren Church Hymnal
Mil Voces para Celebrar: Himnario Metodista
Miracle Melodies: Gospel Solos and Duets of Merit
Mountainbrook Melodies
New Perfect Praise for Sunday-Schools, Singing-Schools, Revivals, Conventions and General Use in Christian Work and Worship.
New Songs for Service
New Songs of Inspiration: number ten, gospel psalms, sacred hymns, scripture readings for the home, churches, revivals, conventions, choirs and crusades
New Songs, 5th ed.
Ni vivu laŭeble plej bele
Northern Harmony: Plain Tunes, Fuging Tunes and Anthems from the Early and Contemporary New England Singing Traditions
Nyimbo za Imani Yetu
Oberlin Harmony
Old Fashioned Revival Hour Songs Compiled
Old-Line Primitive Baptist Hymn and Tune Book
One Faith, Una Voz
Ordo de Diservo
Oxford Book of Carols, The
Pathen Koehna Laabu
Pennsylvania Christian Endeavor Songs: Sing and smile and pray "For Christ and the Church"
Pilgrim Hymnal
Praise
Praise and Worship Songbook 3
Praise and Worship: hymnal
Praise Chorus Book (Expanded 2nd Edition)
Praise Divine
Praise Evangel for Sunday Schools
Praise Him
Praise y Adoración: A Bilingual Hymnal Un himnario bilingüe
Praise! Our Songs and Hymns
Presbyterian Hymnal: hymns, psalms, and spiritual songs
Primitive Baptist Hymn and Tune Book
Primitive Baptist hymn book for all lovers of sacred song (4th ed.)
Psalter Hymnal (Gray)
Psalter Hymnal (Red)
Reasons to Sing
Rejoice in the Lord
Renew!
Revival Solos
Richard Maxwell's Favorite "Hymns You Love"
Rock of Ages A Worship and Songbook for Retirement Living
Rodeheaver's Collection for Low Voice No. 4
Rodeheaver's Gospel Songs for church, Sunday Schools and evangelistic services
Sacred Songs for the Baptist Young People's Union 10th International Convention
Salvation Songs for Children, No.2
Salvation Songs for Children, Number One
Sankta Harmonio
Sankta Nikolao en Nederlando
Sanktaj Mesoj de la 50-a IKUE-kongreso: Ekumena Diserva Libro Prov-eldono 3-a kajero
Second Supplement to the Hymnal (1956)
Secular Hymnal: 144 hymn tunes made inclusive for all
Select Songs of Praise for Evangelistic Services, Church and Sunday School
Selections from Christian Service Songs: Utility Edition
Serenity Service Songbook Third Edition
Service Book and Hymnal of the Lutheran Church in America
Seventh-day Adventist Hymnal
Shaping Sanctuary: Proclaiming God's Grace in an Inclusive Church
Shin Buddhist Service Book
Sing 'n' Celebrate
Sing 'n' Celebrate II
Sing My Heart
Sing of Justice, Sing of Peace
Sing Praises to Jehovah
Sing to the Lord: Hymnal
Sing with Ralph and Bea (Includes Many Favorites of the Radio Program "That They Might See")
Singing Evangelism (Billy Graham Campaign Songs)
Singing Glory: Select Songs
Singing the Living Tradition
Singing Youth
Songs
Songs & Prayers from Taizé
Songs for Suffering Saints: Thirty-two original hymns set to existing tunes
Songs for the World: Hymns by Charles Wesley
Songs for Worship
Songs of Conquest
Songs of Grace: new hymns for God and neighbor
Songs of Perfect Love
Songs of Praise
Songs of Praise
Songs of Praise
Songs of Praise Number One
Songs of Redeeming Love (No. 2)
Songs of Sydney Carter: In the present tense, Book 2
Songs of Worship
Songs of Zion
Songs: an electric lyric collection of more than 580 songs for most situations
Songs: The Tune Book
Soul-Stirring Songs and Hymns
Sound of Living Waters: Songs of the Spirit
Spirit Filled Songs
Spiritual Life Songs
Sunday School Hymns No. 2 (Canadian ed.)
Tabernacle Hymns No. 2
Tabernacle Hymns Number Five
Tabernacle Hymns Number Four: a choice collection of hymns and songs for every religious use
Tero kaj Ĉielo Kantu
Tero kaj Ĉielo Kantu Partoj I II III
Tero kaj Ĉielo Kantu Partoj IV V VI
Tero kaj Ĉielo Kantu Partoj VII VIII IX X
Thánh Ca
The "Connexion" and Jeremiah Ingalls Society Bicentennial Edition, 1805-2005 of The Christian Harmony, Or, Songster's Companion
The A.M.E. Zion Hymnal: official hymnal of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
The Adoremus Hymnal
The Alfred Burt Christmas Carols Song Album
The American Hymnal for English Speaking People Everywhere
The Baptist Hymnal, for Use in the Church and Home
The Bible Hymnal
The Book of Hymns (A fresh anthology of favourite hymns)
The Book of Praise
The Broadman Hymnal
The Celebration Hymnal: songs and hymns for worship
The Chancel Choir No.2
The Christian Harmony: in the seven-syllable character note system of music;... 2010 Revised Edition
The Christian Hymnary. Bks. 1-4
The Christian Life Hymnal
The Church School Hymnal for Youth
The Cokesbury Worship Hymnal
The Collegeville Hymnal
The Colored Sacred Harp, Third Revised edition
The Contemporary Hymn Book
The Covenant Hymnal: a worshipbook
The Faith We Sing
The Family Hymnal: for the worship of God
The Gospel Choir No. 2
The Greenwood Harmony (2nd ed.)
The Harmonia Sacra: a compilation of genuine church music : comprising a great variety of metres, harmonized for four voices : together with a copious explication of the principles ...(25th ed.)
The History of Hymn Singing as told through One hundred & One famous hymns
The Hymnal
The Hymnal
The Hymnal and Order of Service
The Hymnal for Worship and Celebration
The Hymnal of the Evangelical Mission Covenant Church of America
The Hymnal of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America 1940
The Hymnal: Army and Navy
The Hymnal: as authorized and approved for use by the General Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America in the year of our Lord mcmxvi
The Hymnary of the United Church of Canada
The Hymnbook
The International Book of Christmas Carols
The Joyful Sounds of the Rose Hill Family
The King's Highway No. 2
The Liturgical Harp: a tunebook that brings together shapenote ensembles and church choirs
The Methodist Hymn-Book with Tunes
The Methodist Hymnal, Official Hymnal of the Methodist Church
The Methodist Hymnal: official hymnal of the Methodist Church
The Missouri Harmony or a choice collection of psalm tunes, hymns, and anthems
The New Baptist Praise Book: or, Hymns of the Centuries
The New Century Hymnal
The New Church Hymnal
The New Church Hymnal
The New Harp of Columbia, Restored Edition
The New Hymnal for American Youth
The New National Baptist Hymnal
The New National Baptist Hymnal (21st Century Edition)
The Norumbega Harmony: Historic and Contemporary Hymn Tunes and Anthems from the New England Singing School Tradition
The Pilgrim Hymnal
The Plainsong Psalter
The Popular Hymnal
The Psalter: Psalms and Canticles for Singing
The Sacred Harp: Revised Cooper Edition 2012
The Sacred Harp: the best collection of sacred songs, hymns, odes, and anthems ever offered the singing public for general use (1991 rev.)
The Saint Michael Hymnal: A Congregational Missal and Hymnal for the Celebration of Sung Mass in the Roman Rite
The Service Hymnal, compiled for the General Use in All Religious Services ...
The Shenandoah Harmony: A collection of shape-note tunes, ancient and modern, for singing groups large or small
The Shorter New Oxford Book of Carols
The Silver Trumpet for Revivals, Sunday-Schools, Conventions and General Use in Religious Work and Worship.
The Song Book of the Salvation Army
The Spirituals of Harry T. Burleigh
The Summit Choirbook
The United Methodist Hymnal
The Voice of Thanksgiving No. 3
The Willard Hymnary
The Willcutt's Sunrise Devotional Hymns
The Worshipbook: Services and Hymns
The Worshiping Church
Thuma Mina: International Ecumenical Hymnbook
Top 500 Baptist Hymns
Tower Songs
Treasure Songs of the Gospel
Triumphant Service Songs
Triumphant Service Songs: Utility Edition
Tsese-Ma'heone- Nemeotȯtse (Cheyenne Spiritual Songs)
TTT-Himnaro Cigneta
Uncommon Christmas Carols
Upper Room Worshipbook Music and Liturgies for Spiritual Formation
Vatican II Hymnal
Venite Exultemus
Voices Found
Voices of Victory
Voices: Native American Hymns and Worship Resources
We Turn to God
Welsh and English Hymns and Anthems (Reformatted)
With One Voice
Wonder, Love, and Praise: a supplement to the Hymnal 1982
World Renowned Hymns
World Revival Hymns
Worship and Rejoice
Worship and Service Hymnal: For Church, School, and Home
Worship and Song
Worship Him, We Have Come Into This House To
Worship II, a Hymnal for Roman Catholic Parishes
Worship in Song: A Friends Hymnal
Worship in Song: Nazarene Hymnal
Worship Supplement
Worship the Lord: Hymnal of the Church of God
Worship Together
Young People's Songs of Praise
Youth Favorites: Gospel Songs and Choruses
Zion still Sings
Мир вам! Peace be with you!
찬송가
찬송과 예배 = Chansong gwa yebae = Come, Let Us Worship: the Korean-English Presbyterian hymnal and service book
こども さんびか [Kodomo Sanbika]
聖歌 [Seika]
讃美歌 (Sanbika)
讃美歌 / 讃美歌第二編 (Sanbika/Sanbika Dainihen)
賛美歌 21 (Sanbika 21)

The languages represented (and number of items per language) are:
English 327
Esperanto 24
Spanish 9
Spanish-English 2
Japanese 5
Japanese-English 1
German 4
Europolyglot 3
Korean 2
Cheyenne 1
Dakota 1
Mazatec 1
Native American polyglot 1
Welsh-English 1
Esperanto-polyglot 1
Hakka Chin 1
Russian 1
Sgaw Karen 1
Swahili 1
Vietnamese 1
Chinese 1

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:17 am

I spend a lot of time in used bookshops. If I see something that's not on your list, I'll pick it up and send it to you.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:44 pm

That'd be wonderful. Hymnals in foreign languages (especially ones I don't have yet, be they well-known or obscure) are especially high priorities for me. In English, something CMA would be welcome; my Vietnamese and one of my Spanish hymnals are of that fold.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm not sure how much value a hymnal has, though I am sure that some of the rare ones are historic artifacts. I have a Song and Service Book for Ship and Field, published in 1941, and stamped with the USS ARIZONA BB-39 on front. It was my Dad's and he was at Pearl Harbor, though on December 7, 1941 he was in San Diego. I've never been able to find out anything about it.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:28 pm

Most individual copies of older 20th-century hymnals are barely worth the shelf space; if they're in good shape there may be a church start somewhere that will take them off your hands, But obviously your dad's service book has sentimental value. But once you get back into the 1800s things become much scarcer and you can resell them on ebay or whatever for well above the cost of Media Mail.

I'm interested in a wide variety of hymnals, so if it's not on my list I probably could use it.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Wow!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:54 pm

For what it's worth, I will say that on careful perusal virtually every hymnal I've acquired has contained something; some hymn, or some extra verse to some hymn, or some additional worship aids, or something that is either really good and worth the price of shelfspace for it, or really weird or absurd and worth the price of sheshelfspace for it. An example of the latter is the one Jehovah's Witnesses' hymnal I have (Sing Praises to Jehovah). There's hardly a hymn in it that I would want to use in worship or recommend that anyone else so use, but there are numerous wordings and subtopics that are just silly enough that I'm glad I have it. Sort of like the completely serious sermon I sat through at a Seventh-Day Adventist church in Victoria, where the topic was the evil of pepperoni pizza. Or the footnote on Sarah's pancakes in Kenneth Taylor's old Living Bible paraphrase. But set to music...

Haruo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum