[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Not Everyone in CBF is Celebrating

Not Everyone in CBF is Celebrating

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Not Everyone in CBF is Celebrating

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:09 am

https://adammcduffie.wordpress.com/2016 ... brate-yet/

The issue of support for ministries or entities which are LGBT friendly is going to keep coming up for CBF. It has attracted individuals and churches which see inclusion and affirmation of those in the LGBT community as a "prophetic" advancement. On the other hand, there also appear to be many individuals and churches within the fellowship who see prophetic ministry as one which brings conviction of sin, repentance, redemption and restoration by the cross as the pathway to God, for those who are LGBT as well as those who are captured and imprisoned by other sin. It's executive director pointed out, accurately, that individual churches already have the freedom to go where they wish with regard to their approach to ministry. The question is, does CBF have to go there in order to be considered "prophetic" by those who think that affirmation fits that definition?
Sandy

Re: Not Everyone in CBF is Celebrating

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:23 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:27 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:14 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:16 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:18 pm

If I were CBFer I'd be concerned. Keith's church was considerably on the liberal side of moderate, based on what he has sais over the years, and yet when the gay marriage was put squarely before them a bunch of folks left.

I don't know how the CBF can thread this needle without some difficulty and loss.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:29 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:54 pm

As an independent, autonomous organization itself, CBF made a decision regarding how it, as a fellowship, would handle this particular issue long before most of those who are now agitating for change decided to join it. If it had made the decision to come down on the other side of this issue, many more of its current partners would not be involved. It offers the opportunity for churches to decide what they will support, and it doesn't part ways with churches that think differently on this particular issue, even though as an entity, it has taken this path. You can't get much more respectful of church independence and autonomy than that.

It's a wise choice, simply because if it became the focus of a change, it would probably result in the loss of most of its partners and financial support.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:23 pm

Yes Sandy, I get that, every Baptist organization is separately autonomous.

The CBF can pretend to be independent from its own constituency and take a position that many in its constituency wouldn't necessarily approve. It is why most denominations with congregational polity have SOME connections that modify autonomy. The ABC/USA has a system of clergy recognition and you have to join an ABC region to be an ABC church. So the ABC doesn't believe in the same kind of total disconnected autonomy that the CBF does or, for that matter, that the SBC claims (even when they don't follow it.)

So the whole thing is just one big disconnect. No wonder younger members are frustrated.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:02 pm

The stance of a denomination or fellowship, or other entity, in Baptist polity has no effect on the independence or autonomy of a church. Church autonomy rests on its ability to ordain and call its own ministers and deacons, to determine the qualifications for membership and to choose its members, to determine its own doctrine and theology, and to choose what denomination, or organization, or entities, or mission boards, that it will support. The theological position of any group with which it is affiliated has no bearing on autonomy or independence. In most Baptist organizations, churches can walk away by simply stopping their financial support through the organization or entity. If it holds a position that they are not in sympathy or agreement with, they can choose to join or not to join. If they join, they can certainly participate in efforts to bring about change, while accepting the fact that a previous group of leaders has spoken, and made a decision, with the support of the majority, that they believe is best for the good of the organization. If a congregation is disfellowshipped because the organization believes its perspectives are not congruent with the church, that's not a violation of the church's independence or autonomy. Nor is it a problem when a church decides it will leave. There's no penalty for either the church, or the denomination, that results. And since CBF doesn't disfellowship churches, it's a moot argument as far as they are concerned.

I've watched Presbyterian churches here attempt to disengage from their denomination, PCUSA, and it's not easy for them. They forfeit their property, and their ministers lose a lot in the way of pension, insurance coverage, salary and other benefits. Quite a difference. Anything the SBC might do that appears to be interfering with church independence and autonomy is not even close to that.

I'd guess that the group pushing for a more open policy on LGBT persons in CBF is a pretty small minority, or they'd have succeeded in changing the bylaws and constitution by now. I'd also guess that if they succeeded, there would be a lot of churches exercising their options, and leaving.
Sandy

Ellen Jimmerson, Lia Scholl, Amy Mears, Jeff Hood

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:10 am

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:17 am

Ed: Sandy when you say "I'd guess that the group pushing for a more open policy on LGBT persons in CBF is a pretty small minority, or they'd have succeeded in changing the bylaws and constitution by now. I'd also guess that if they succeeded, there would be a lot of churches exercising their options, and leaving".

I agree that those "pushing" are a pretty small group, however they a gaining adherents and sympathizers. I also agree that if when they achieve the objective of making the Welcoming & Affirming stance a standard for CBF the number of people supporting the organization will take a decided dip and I doubt that those currently pushing for unrestricted inclusion of practicing homosexuals have the financial wherewithal to maintain it. There are many in CBF whom I respect and consider to be friends who go along with the idea of inclusion and in my studied opinion they are being led down a primrose path and taking others with them.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:18 pm

I realize the differences between connectional denominations and those made up of congregational churches with their own independence and autonomy. I was using that as a comparative example. Keith's church still owns its property, has its pastor, makes its own decisions, and even though they may have lost a few members, and had to make some adjustments in staff insurance and retirement, the are still the same church, and they still hold the same position. Much different than the experience of a connectional church, and a clear demonstration of the church's autonomy. And if you're staying in an association or convention that holds a position with which your church strongly disagrees simply because of the insurance, pensions or benefits, it's hard to claim that the denomination is "bullying" your church.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:25 pm

I doubt buy the lack of associational bullying because I've seen it. Hire a woman pastor, you are out in the cold. Give to the CBF and some associations booted you or threatened not to see your messengers. Cutting off a relationship when you don't like someone else's actions is a form of pressure. It may or may not be an effective for of pressure and bullying but that's what it is.

What started out was for a group of like minded Baptists to fellowship together. But what it turns into in some cases is threats of shunning to keep people in line.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:35 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:48 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:33 pm

As I've said another thread, I think I'm going to drop out of discussing local church autonomy with you all. For you it is an important part of your church structure for me now it is just an interesting item to discuss as it no longer relates to what I do. I'll just observe further discussions on the topic.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:21 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:32 pm

Oh Lordy Sandy, I'm not going to argue with you or anyone over women in ministry. It is no longer 1979. And I've not served in a denomination without women clergy since 1991. American Baptists, United Methodists and many others have had women clergy since before you were born, unless you are way older than I think you are.

This isn't an issue outside of Fundy World.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:01 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:19 pm

Whether it's ordaining women, or gays, or transgender, or marrying people of the same gender, or believing that all pulpit furniture must be made out of oak, the issue doesn't matter. If your church belongs to an association that states that a condition of membership is having a pulpit made of oak, and yours is knotty pine, then they're not violating your autonomy if they decide you don't belong. That's a silly example, but it certainly illustrates the point. It's not a violation of your church's autonomy if it decides to take a position or do something that is contrary to a principle that is considered a requirement for cooperation with an association or convention. It might be a position on an issue that you, personally, disagree with, or on which entire denominations have taken a different position, but Baptist associations and conventions are also autonomous, and as such, all relationships they have with churches are voluntary. Churches are autonomous in that they choose whether or not to pursue membership or affiliation, based on what those associations and conventions have decided are the basis for the relationship.

CBF has decided that, as an organization, it won't distribute financial support to organizations that are considered "LGBT friendly," (according to their definition of that position), and it will not hire persons who are openly LGBT. But it doesn't restrict affiliation or partnership with churches based on their position on that issue. Seems kind of selfish, arrogant and intolerant of those who want to force their view, which is that of a small minority within the fellowship, on everyone else that doesn't share it, calling their own view "prophetic," and caring more about an issue than they do about the ministry of CBF.
Sandy

Next

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum