[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SBC Overwhelming in affirmation of Dr McKissic's resolution

SBC Overwhelming in affirmation of Dr McKissic's resolution

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Good people fought for the South

Postby David Flick » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:38 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

sandy

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:54 am

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: sandy

Postby David Flick » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:04 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Randall Balmer response to Thornton, affirms Fox in WPost

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:40 am

Stephen Fox

Re: SBC Overwhelming in affirmation of Dr McKissic's resolut

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:13 pm

You can post stray links until Jesus comes but not the other junk, stephen. Give it a little thought.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Randall Balmer response to Thornton, affirms Fox in WPos

Postby KeithE » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:47 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:33 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Thornton doesnt know what he is talking about

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:06 pm

He lives in his own fantasy world limited by his own illusions still I like him too for the couple times a year he surprises me. And his blog is the only way these days I have of keeping up with Jerry Vines.

The point is Randall Balmer affirms the points I consistently make about the netherworld of Pressler' and Jesse Helms network which Balmer in this essay makes timely and accentuates. Thornton keeps deleting me when I agree with the leading religion scholars of our time.

As for Thornton's concern for my soul and church life he doesn't know what he is talking about. When he can make arrangement so set up an appointment with the Pasotr of the church in Collinsville, Mark Wilson of the Auburn University Democracy Project, the librarian Jennifer Wilkins and Martha Barksdale then I can give him a report of being in church where I belong next Sunday. I forgot Jackie and Donnie Myers the deacons the women sicced on me in the first place, yet they were in the minority vote to keep me in the fellowship

Thanks Keith, for reading the article

Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:50 pm

So, you are or aren't n a church on Sunday's? I recall all the liberry, gospel dog stuff.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Even Bush 43 speechwriter sides with Balmer and Fox

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:12 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Jeremiah Wright was correct: "The chickens are coming Home to Roost!!!""

Michael Gerson a few days ago in the Washington Post. Not as strong as Balmer or my motif of the last 25 years but he is coming around.

Not that really is any of Thornton's business but I was in church last Sunday; got my picture taken with three Furman theologians and Facebook to prove it; and July 3 I will be at the Liberty Baptist Church in Henegar, Alabama with 200 of my best friends from across the World singing the Sacred Harp. you should come over Willie Boy, David's Lament for Absalom should resonate with you. And most likely I will be able to introduce you to a gggg granddaughter of Jonathan Edwards world. a perennial from Yale!!!!

Stephen Fox

Postby KeithE » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:51 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:25 am

That is a pretty good article from the Post. It contains no support whatsoever for Stephen's name dropping rabbit trails that associate the rise of the conservative resurgence in the SBC to any hot button issue that he happens to be fixated on at the moment. However, it does a good job of documenting many of the quirks of the alignment of conservative Evangelicals with the Republican party, despite the latter's inconsistency in policy and practice with most of what Evangelicals believe. But I think what is happening, visible in the SBC of late, is that many of the current generation of leaders weren't as connected to the conservative, activist type politics of the 70's and 80's, and are seeing the inconsistency between a conservative approach to interpretation of the Bible, and the outcomes of conservative, tea-party type politics, and are coming down on the side of their Biblical perspective.

It's interesting to see the perspective and characterization of support. Evangelicals turned out at the polls in record numbers in 2012, despite the moaning about all of them staying home. The percentages look high, 89% supported Romney, for example, but those figures generally put African American evangelicals in a different statistical category of "historically black" denominations. Trump appears to be getting between 35% and 45% of Evangelical support, maybe a shade higher which, while strange, is nowhere near the levels that any Republican before him, back to Reagan, had.
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:12 pm

A good proportion of the SBC's new churches are ethnic/minority. I'm unclear on exactly what the NBC means to the CBF. Is it an event? A series of cooperative ventures? Any financial ties?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:30 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:44 pm

Last edited by KeithE on Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:44 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:03 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:23 am

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:32 am

Ed: Just discovered this while at the CBF Assembly last week:

NBC Summit 2016
Journeying to Covenant Community

September 14-16, 2016
Downtown Hilton
255 Courtland St NE, Atlanta, GA
$125 General Registration Fee— $65 Registration Fee for Young Ministers (Under 35 years old)
-------------------------------------------------------
At the present I am planing to fly down. Trudy will be busy winding down things at Burnt Hills B.C.. Her last Sunday here will be Sept 25th.

BTW Sandy, this was also at the link you provided. Thanks!
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:25 am

I may attend, depends on other demands.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:38 am

Ed Pettibone

Rereading the American Religion

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:22 pm

by Harond Bloom. Can't remember if Thornton ever read it or not. I remember he did a fine review on his blog of the Lottie Moon bio by the CBF woman from Arkansas about seven years ago

Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends