[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Bill Hull and the Impossibles

Bill Hull and the Impossibles

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Bill Hull and the Impossibles

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:39 pm

My blog review of Humphreys review in Baps Today

http://foxofbama.blogspot.com/2015/12/b ... ibles.html
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Bill Hull and the Impossibles

Postby David Flick » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:06 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:40 am

Connect the dots between Global Warming and Fox north Alabama hot air. Underground coal seams are said to spontaneously combust when he opens his mouth.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:33 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:08 am

David's color coded chart helps to make the connections. Actually, I think you've established that there really is no point, at least, not a coherent one. Other than concluding that Janis Joplin may be at least partly to blame for the conservative resurgence in the SBC, or at least for Billy Graham's conspiracy to take over the Republican party, I didn't get much out of it. :-)
Sandy

David Flick is gettin on my nerves

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:02 pm

I like Flick but he is getting a little old with the tired mantra of counting names at any of my offerings he doesn't take too. I haven't lost my marbles to think that I write at a level of any major news journal--I do not--but most of the investigative articles I read use a lot of names to build a story and make a point.

Bill Hull does not exist in a vacuum. He is a great man. I just listed some folks I was convinced might not be as satisfied with his pick of Timothy George to head Beeson as he is. And I am proud to know Randall Balmer and Bonhoeffer's biographer Charles Marsh. Marsh happens to be the nephew by marriage of Fisher Humphreys. I think D Bon and Marsh's thoughts on the politics of stupidity are quite appropo to the conversations Hull is engaging.

I think there are others who don't frequent this board who will see the value of my assertions here. I'm looking forward to that. I guess we will wait and see.

In the meantime waiting on the full story of Thornton's game with Roger Staubach and I hope Effie Flick and Sandy and extended families have a grand Christmas.

Stephen Fox

Fox ratified once again

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:42 pm

All but the dullest of wits will see how RD.org piece linked here makes my point of what really was at stake in the fundamentalist takeover of the Southern Baptist Convention. Bill Hull has written an interesting book which I hope to read soon with Fisher's recommendation, but the bigger point has always been elsewhere.

That's where Cecil Sherman in his conversation with UNC chancellor Bill Friday and the many writings of Bill Moyers in defense of James Dunn in the sites of Helms, Pressler and Albert Lee Smith make the bigger point. Molly Worthen and Hull, even the second thoughts of SBTS Prez before Honeycutt, are interesting.

The fundy artists opened up the SBC to be led by lesser lights, Their political goals have now become apparent in the stubborn loyalists to the Trump Cause

http://religiondispatches.org/trumps-me ... ian-right/

Bryant Wright and Russ Moore cannot put the genie back in the Bottle. Alabama, Hull's last location is a grand case in point and the misbegotten hiring of Timothy George took away the voice of Foy Valentine and James Dunn and the leadership in the public square to challenge the Tea Party and the Tumpists, even Ted Cruz a disciple of Ed Young.

RD.org in tandem with Wuthnow's Rough Country makes my point.

Hull and some other second guessers are interesting parlor game. But the riot in the streets, The Trump ralleys were the true vision of Pressler, Helms and Albert Lee Smith and now it is upon us.

Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist History and Heritage