[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 2015 Biennial

2015 Biennial

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

2015 Biennial

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:03 pm

Ed: Is any one else here going to attend the ABC-USA biennial in Overland Park Kansas? I would be glad to see those that we have met in other places and any of you that we have not met. We will be at the Chase Suites Hotel Across the traffic circle from the Convention Center & Hotel. Or my cell phone # is 518-227-5527. We are making A lOOOoNG trip of it by visiting relatives in NJ, GA, Florida & Mo. We are also going to at least drive through the campus of Ouachita Baptist University in Arkansas. Yea Flick that is the other OBU. :) We are also going to take in a show or two at Branson MO. on the way.

I am looking forward to the Tour of Central Baptist Seminary that Molly has scheduled.
Ed Pettibone

Re: 2015 Biennial

Postby Haruo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:46 am

Can't make it. Would love to. Haven't been in KS since I was a kid. My main memory of it is being on the Kansas Turnpike; I was in charge of the map, and I told my dad which exit to take and he didn't believe me, and drove maybe twenty miles out of our way before he could turn around, and then he got mad at me for it. I think he'd used his nasal inhaler too much that day.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:03 pm

Sounds like quite a trip! I' won't be at the meeting, Ed, but when you come thru Ga. I'll be glad to share a cup of coffee if you want to take a break from your travel.

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:41 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Neil Heath » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:05 pm

Looking forward to seeing you both next week if your schedule permits, Ed. If not, I understand. Travel plans for me always have contingencies.

Don't know if you have my phone info. In case you don't, I'll put them below. What day will you be passing thru? Is it Wed.?

I can suggest several places just off I-75 for coffee, and/or a variety of food options for a meal if you are stopping at that point in the day.

Neil

Home: 478-474-6567
Cell: 478-397-2444
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:48 am

Ed: Since having had breakfast with Neil last saturday, we traveled through Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, to arrive in Kansas on Theursday afternoon. The Chase Hotel & Suits is Luxury Plus. LR?BR full Kitchen, geat bath and dressing area.

Yesterday we took a tour out to Central Seminary and Molly introduced us to a number of students, the director of the Korean program gave an overvier of the 7 programs they have operating around the country, One is in my Home town of Fort Wayne In.. Latter in the dat we took another tour to the Negro Baseball Musuem and the Jazz Musuem . The opening worship servive featured AMY Butler Preaching. More later. 1,285 registered
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:36 pm

Ed,

Being out of the loop on the ABC now, I was was just curious why the Biennial as been renamed "Mission Summit" and why it has be in Kansas what seems to be two years in a row? Or maybe I missed the year in between? But I am curious why the same location twice?

Pasadena was my last Biennial and I realize a number of things have changed in the five years I've been out.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:43 pm

Ed:

Hi Tim,

The terms Biennial and Missions Conference are used pretty much interchangeably. But the design has changed some from denominational politics to discussion and interchange of ideas on ways to accomplish God's mission through the local church in new less repetitive ways.

Two consecutive times in KC is because the Overland Park Convention Center made us a great deal for each of two years over just one. Still too much packed into three days. Tiring but fun. Today we had 2.5 hours of small group discussions on ones choice of ONE of several aspects of local church ministry. I was in a group discussing Alternative ways for churches to do ministry. Trudy's group discussed discipleship methods.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:52 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Looking forward to it! Hope it isn't the same week as the Hymn Society.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Thanks Ed. Interesting concept.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:20 am

2017 Portland, not Seattle, I am told. Several hundred miles difference, but I'll almost certainly be there. Maybe Mrs. H. too! I have a brother in Portland, so with a little luck should be able to stay for free. Maybe I can get a KELI table together.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:21 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:10 am

So who's going to be Pope now that Medley has abdicated? And is a new president in hand? I was very happy to hear the Chin and Karen groups were successfully affiliated.

And the 9 to 1, was that 9 not to send it to Portland or 9 to send it forward? Where in ABC did that proposal originate?

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: 2017 Biennial

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:11 am

I've booked a room.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:04 pm

Looking at the Biennial's schedule, anybody know why the New Baptist Covenant dinner was canceled?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Ed Pettibone

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum