[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Mohler Strikes Again

Mohler Strikes Again

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Mohler Strikes Again

Postby Haruo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:45 pm

Mainline sounds like shooting up heroin.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

SBC rush to marriage/ NPR Tuesday afternoon

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:13 pm

The segment has been announced for All Things Considered. Certain to cause national alarm as young girls set aside for wedlock and occasion for boy's sin; a Baptist version of Mormon serial marriage except this time early and one on one.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby John Sneed » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:24 pm

Everything is doctrine. And Mohler is quite possibly the smartest man in the SBC.
John Sneed

Postby Haruo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:33 pm

What sort of meaning is one to make of the assertion that love is doctrine?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:55 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:16 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:44 am

I would disagree with Mohler on this. The church is not the primary institution to teach and raise children in the things of the Lord. It is the home and from my perch in the nose bleed section,the Christian home is failing at raising God fearing children. I also think the reason for this is because the parent themselves have no clue how to live for Jesus and walk in the fear of the Lord. To many people in the pews seem to have the mindset (IMPO) that they are going to heaven, nothing else matters. I fear they may be wrong.

jle
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:23 am

All of this emerged because Mohler saw from the church's website that FBC Elkin affiliated with CBF. He had to go in attack mode because it was no longer an SBC church, so he created a new doctrine--the church is responsible for keeping all her children Baptist (or at least evangelical).
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:47 am

Ed, I'm sure that as I'm out of the ABC for years to come I'll lose touch with things. But it has only been five years and I still have connections in the denomination. If the ABC has changed drastically since 2010 I'd be surprised.

As to baptism, I wasn't making a personal judgement about Baptist orthodoxy. I was pointing out the doctrinal viewpoint of all the denominations who didn't adopt what they would seen as the new fangled idea in the 17th century that you have to be dunked and already a believer to be baptized.

Orthodoxy is really a slippery word which I'm surprised Baptists like Al Mohler use. By definition orthodoxy is right belief. If you are in the minority you aren't orthodox (which is what is wrong with the terminology). And while Southern Baptists like to pretend they are in the majority as the largest non-Catholic denomination in the US they are far outnumbered by Roman Catholics and the Orthodox Churches world wide.

Mohler trumpets about orthodoxy while he is in a denomination the the majority of Christiandom considers to be outside of orthodoxy. To anyone but a Southern Baptist it is amusing or at least confusing.

The best I get from Mohler is that orthodoxy="what I believe" or "what the SBC takeover crowd believes" and heresy="whatever anyone else believes who disagree with me."

My orthodoxy is your heresy. :wink:
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:51 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:23 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:24 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:43 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:50 pm

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, Mohler doesn't think Anglicans and Catholics can be fully grounded in the Christian faith. Small step for a self proclaimed gatekeeper of "correct doctrine".

Intreetingly enough, had all those kiddos stuck around, Mohler would have never been appointed president of Southern. Now that's a real missed opportunity!
Jerry_B

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Mike Stidham » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:14 pm

Mike Stidham

Postby Mike Stidham » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Mike Stidham

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends