[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Anniversary...

Anniversary...

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Anniversary...

Postby David Flick » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:24 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Re: Anniversary...

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:46 am

It has been a fun ride!
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:20 am

Well said, David! Thanks for bringing this milestone to our attention! May there be many more.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks David for sharing this with us!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:48 am

David, thanks for reminding us of the anniversary date and for serving as our unofficial site historian. Time does fly, does it not? In 2000 many of the popular internet sites of today did not exist, probably none of us had smart phones, many of us were in different ministry positions, and a few of our early regulars have, sadly, passed away. In addition to the many good friendships that have come about because of the forums, the conversations herein have been a learning experience for me.

Finally, my personal thanks to all who are a part of the BL.com family. It is one place, of which there are so few these days, where Baptists of all stripes can regularly talk and sharply debate and yet remain friends.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:59 pm

Just as long as it is not 18 years, 3 months. :wink:
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:26 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:02 am

Yeah...

I'm just glad David focuses his stuff on GW now. In the early days he regularly whacked me.

I'm sorry I haven't traveled around to visit the brethren since semi-retirement.

For years BL (and the earlier SBC Net) was about the only regular channel for frequent, in-depth interaction for single staff pastors like me. A monthly or even weekly minister's conference was and still is inadequate.

BL is far less Southern Baptist and somewhat less Baptist now than earlier, the former for obvious reasons, the latter an unexpected development. Both make it more profitable. I often get weary with my SBC colleagues elsewhere.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:25 am

I know I've been asked why I stick around here now that I'm no longer a Baptist. Honestly the best answer is that I find friends here and that I can still have a good discussion with people who really do think about what they believe.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:36 am

I agree with Tim. It's not because all of you agree with me. It's because you made me feel welcome when I arrived and offered some meat on occasion for discussion, not just the fluff of many sites or the one track minds of some spots.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:33 am

For me it is place to express myself and urges me on to study matters more thoroughly.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:47 pm

I appreciate being questioned at times because some of them actually make me think. After all, I have never learned much from people who agree with whatever I say.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

It's been an interesting ride for sure

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:52 pm

If not for bl.com I might still be a member of Collinsvile Baptist church. That said I told the shooger booger what Thornton said a few days ago here on this board. She got a laugh out of it.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: It's been an interesting ride for sure

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:26 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:52 am

From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan

David, thank you for this reminder of Baptist Life's importance to me. While I used a pseudonym out of fear of what the IMB might think of my offerings, I do appreciate that I could interact with so many.

Grace and Peace
Joseph Patrick

Postby David Flick » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:54 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:20 am

Tempus fugit, and I don't.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:57 am

I hope some of you will be at the CBF Assembly in June, I haven't seen any of this bunch since Trudy and I had breakfast with Neal at an I-Hop in Macon last year. I thought we might get to meet Sandy back in January, however when we got to the Pittsburgh area, we where working at getting further east to out run a snow storm.
Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:26 pm

...one of the great joys in my life of the last 16 years. I'm better informed, better equipped bothtemperamentally and factually, to converse with those who disagree with me, and a better Christian and Baptist as a result of my friends here.

Maybe this is the year I make the grand trek to visit some of the brethren.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby James » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:52 pm

Thank you everyone for sharing and debating various issues with me. I know I sort of dropped out for a while, but I should be more active now. The first reason I dropped out had to do with health. I have had more and more general problems as my back got worse. Then there was the pain. Every time it got better it wound up getting worse. When it got to the point that I was taking six vicodin per day with to kill the pain no other chemical choice or surgery, I finally chose surgery. I spent a week in rehab. I learned more about love, patience and humility and the difference between true and false modesty in one week (at age 73) then I had in the previous 72 years put together. My body and mind are slowly coming awake now after 10 years of narcotics and I think I might enjoy life again. Part of the enjoyment, I hope will be getting reacquainted with all of you. So thanks for reminding me that underneath all the opinions and bluster, we are all God's children.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:05 pm

I've found this forum to be a generally open and tolerant crowd. After all you tolerate me. :D
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:12 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:18 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:20 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:17 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum