[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - I was in Selma for the 50th Anniversary

I was in Selma for the 50th Anniversary

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

I was in Selma for the 50th Anniversary

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:27 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: I was in Selma for the 50th Anniversary

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:38 pm

I was in Winder.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Had King not been shot

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:08 pm

in Memphis, the next day April 5 he woulda been in Winder.

George Packer sums it all up beautifully here at the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-com ... ince-selma
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:28 pm

That is, perhaps, one of the best articles you've ever posted here, Stephen. The New Yorker article, that is. :wink:

I'm glad I got to watch the event on television. Not as good as being there from the perspective of sharing the atmosphere, but you do get a much better view. Give credit where credit is due, the President completely removed the politics from the event, focusing the attention on the Selma of 50 years ago, and the significance of that march across a bridge named after a racist. Sharing the event with George W. and Laura Bush was like underlining the message, and give credit where credit is due, the Bushes accepted and seemed to be proud of their involvement.

I've been fortunate enough to be at some significant events like this in the past. I was in Washington for the dedication of both the World War II Memorial and the MLK Memorial, and in Gettysburg for the 150th commemoration of the battle. I really wish I could have been at this event.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 pm

I remember being in the Urals when Bobby Kennedy was killed, on the Trans-Siberian Railway. And on a train platform ssomewhere in Japan when we learned of MLK's assassination. I've been hoping and intending to be in Lille and Boulogne-sir-Mer this coming summer for the 100th Universala Kongreso de Esperanto, but that has now been shelved. Hope to do something of value In December of 2016 to commemorate my dad's 100th birthday, and to make it to Tōkyō in 2018 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of my own second grade-school graduation … FWIW
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist History and Heritage