[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Was the cabal of Adrian Rogers, McAteer, Pressler Extremist?

Was the cabal of Adrian Rogers, McAteer, Pressler Extremist?

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Was the cabal of Adrian Rogers, McAteer, Pressler Extremist?

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 30, 2014 11:28 am

The Takeover was energized by Right wing extremism and Adrian Rogers was complicitous if not active at almost every stage of the game.

There is a small avalanche of material in the last couple months from Molly Worth, to the Balmer Bio of President Carter to the Steven Miller new work on Evangelical Right and the rise of Ronald Reagan--see links in Balmer/Marsh thread at Faith and Practice at this site.

And now here is a look at Pressler's contemporary and fellow traveler in Birch Society inspired denominational takeover, Mr. Otten of the Missouri synod.

http://usreligion.blogspot.com/2012/08/ ... ns-in.html

I'm not aware of a smoking gun memo between Pressler and Otten but would not be surprised if one pops up, not a strong familiarity between the Pressler and Koch brother's Father Fred, who was eaten up with Birch Society activism in Kansas in the 50s.

So lets be honest about the motivations and communities of recent Baptist History.

Words like Fundamentalism and Extremism have meaning.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Was the cabal of Adrian Rogers, McAteer, Pressler Extrem

Postby Sandy » Fri May 30, 2014 9:17 pm

I don't see Paul Pressler's name anywhere in the review. You're making fantasy connections.

I suspect your comments got deleted because you don't dialogue, you don't respond to questions, and you post the same stacked reading list, and the same thing over and over and over and...........
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sat May 31, 2014 5:17 am

Stephen, leave me and Sandy out of your posts. thanks.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat May 31, 2014 7:24 am

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:50 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:37 am

How many of the leaders of the Conservative Takeover slash Fundamentalist Resurgence in the SBC were not ordained clergy? Sandy's latest post here seems to me to make it sound like they were laymen, not laypersons of course but laymen, but I'm not sure this is a valid notion. And how customary is it for an SBC church to cast split votes at the Convention?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:11 pm

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Ed: Hauro I am not sure how to answer you question about how often messengers from a given church split there ballots on an vote. What I do know was that for each of the the Conventions I attended as a messenger no ome told me how to vote nor asked how I had voted. It is true thai on many votes you can see how any and all are voting because the vote is by a "Show of Ballots". The first time I was preparing to attended I asked my pastor how I should vote on a couple issues and he said vote you conscience.
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

The Danger of Reagan, Falwell, McAteer, Adrian Rogers etc

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:31 pm

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/18/the_eva ... ian_right/

For the extremism of Pressler, talk to Chandler Davidson of Rice University who has 100 pages on WA Criswell in Race and Class in Texas Politics.

For Pressler talk to Foy Valentine's former Son in law Lee Berg as I did in 1988 and Neal Rodgers. It was Rodgers who held the press conference with James Dunn in 88 in San Antonio at the 11 am hour of the Weds morn session to discuss the Baptist Laity pamphlet exposing Pressler and Patterson in cahoots with the Far Right; and who can forget Bill Moyer's question to Pressler about the Council for National Policy.

For Pressler's connections to Jesse Helms and the Bircher Albert Lee Smith see Joe Ferguson's chapter The Red White and Blue Bible in his book Hard Right, The Rise of Jesse Helms

Also see Ellen Rosenberg chapter on SBC Takeover and the Far Right.

Still looking fwd to having a BBQ sandwich with Thornton....Had good meal Saturday with the former pastor of the Lower Fairforest Baptist Church of Union, South Carolina. He has some good Roger Milliken Stories.
Last edited by Stephen Fox on Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Stephen, who is the pastor you referenced from Lower Fairforest? I probably know him.
William Thornton
Site Admin

He knew Rocky Purvis

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:50 pm

He was only there a a couple years in mid 80s or so. Steve Miller. Was good friend of Steve Lemons who was in the area for a while. I'm sure you know Union native Sally Nichols Atwater is running for State School Supe in S.C. I'm not sure where she stands on Common Core but I'm certain she's against it. Her daughter, also Sally Atwater is a Furman grad, 2012 I think.

Stephen Fox

Thomas Powers in Oct 9, 2014

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:48 pm

www.nybooks.com makes a solid case that yes indeed they were extremists and morphed into the current GOP regime in Texas; and became a template for the Tea Party across the South. See how the Sam Brownback experience has destroyed Kansas. Watch Alabama with the reelection of SBC Deacon Gov Bentley to see if he and his pastor Rick Lance, Ex Dir of the Alsbom of Bama, learn anything from Powers insights.

Stephen Fox

County by 'Robet Wuthnow

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:51 am

I am Reading the book now. See my blog on CRiswell's convening power at foxofbama, A Dec 2014 entRy

Stephen Fox

Origins in the Texas Regs and 48 Texas Senate Race

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 am

http://www.cjr.org/fiftieth_anniversary ... p?page=all

Pressler's ancestry in the Oil Industry and the right wing Birch Society politics of Harris County Texas, shaped him to oppose Bill Moyers, James Dunn and their progressive evolution on race matters that almost certainly at one point was in the shadowy influence that forced Carlyle Marney to leave FBC Dallas in 56

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:44 pm

Time for this thread to disappear. The demagoguery and baseless statements are a crock of you know what.
Sandy

Re: Origins in the Texas Regs and 48 Texas Senate Race

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:52 pm

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:40 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Stephen is placing names of individuals into entries with titles that have nothing to do with them in order to create the impression that there is some sort of association with them. The citations have nothing to do with the individuals who are named, either, but his intent is to create one. That's demagoguery.

It would be sort of like putting your name in a thread and posting an article about the Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan that doesn't ever mention you.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:06 pm

Sandy is right. This is stephen's hobby horse crap nonsense.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:02 am

Sandy

Postby David Flick » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:02 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Ed Pettibone

Marney at FBC Austin

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:41 pm

Sandy is correct about that.

If Sandy does the background reading he will see how thick Hariis County was over the years in Bircher and oil politics.. Ed can verify that Pressler says his ancestry was active in the Texas legislature and Pressler's father was a VP for Exxon oil. Chandler Davidson has reported on the way race and income division in Texas is a legacy of Criswell's. Bush 41 faced down the Bircher s in Harris County in 1966 and somehow Pressler split the difference over the years from his hardwiring in gthe Gary North crowd to becoming Bush 41 Ethics nominee.

Lee Berg, Foy Valentine's son in law, to Davidson, to Moyers to now Don Wilkey in Ex Gens over the years have reported on this cabal, so I'm not going solo on this. And the latest is Wuthnow's rough country with reviews in both nybooks.com and Christianity Today. Find a good library Sandy and see the Atwater memo there and how race morphed into abortion and other social issues Pressler and Jesse Hlems played in concert with Karl Rove over the years. I guess Harry Dent , Strom Thurmond's advisor and Nixon's southern strategist just got to be a trustee of Southern seminary cause he chaired the Billy Graham crusade in Columbia SC in 1980.

Thornton and Sandy are the ones starry eyed in all this.

Big Daddy Weaver, instead of taking shots at Ex Gens, could get off his throne in the CBF offices and enlist the cracker jacek historians at Baylor to get Moyers and Jimmy Allen and Hardy Clemons and Chandler Davidson in a room with Thomas Powers the nybooks reviewer. Go back and read Marsahll Frady's friend Scott Sherman in the link above on the Tex Regs and the 48 race. Roughly Moyers and Dunn and Marney saw the light on race LBJ torturously saw in the 60s. Pressler and Helms and Patterson played with the Birchers and White citizens council as long as they could, and then as, again Lee Atwater himself outlined, they saw the light and moved on to inneranncy ande abortion, and whatever else they could pull oout of Roger Ailes and Karl Rove's bag of tircks as they used issues first in SBC and other trial venues and then perfected them in S.C Presidentail primanry nd elsewhere. Read Rough Country, Read Joe Crespino of Emory. Read Scott Sherman closely, Read Moyers over the years in Foy Valentine's, now the Baugh's Christian Ethics Today. It's all there for any litereate person to see.

Stephen Fox

Next

Return to Baptist History and Heritage