[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Democracy or Oligarchy?

Democracy or Oligarchy?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Democracy or Oligarchy?

Postby KeithE » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:26 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Democracy or Oligarchy?

Postby Haruo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:56 am

1779, not 1776. Thanks, Keith.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:22 pm

What's developed in American government with the influence of wealth should make anyone who claims to be a strict constructionist with regard to constitutional interpretation shudder. The fact that many of those who make that claim are just fine with the ability of wealth to purchase government favor is proof of the ability that wealth has to buy influence.

Every administration has had its money trail. Clinton's is tough to figure, but it is clear that the military-industrial complex bought and paid for Ronald Reagan, and the first George Bush. Military contractors also had the second Bush administration by the proverbial 'nads as well, though it was the oil industry that set records for fabulous accumulations of profit, much of it at government expense, during his term. So who owns the government under Obama? I'm sure someone does. Follow the money trail. Although with the way this particular congress has stonewalled, I would say they've been bought to do what they're doing.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Democracy or Oligarchy? - the short answer

Postby ET » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Re: Democracy or Oligarchy? - the long answer

Postby ET » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Last edited by ET on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ET

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks for thinking of me so kindly, ET. :)
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:52 pm

ET, I'm gonna keep this short too, as I've mentioned this before:

Adam Smith very much supported government regulation of business and banks (he wrote over 100 pages on the regulation of banks alone), in order to prevent commercial/banking interests from making too much profit. Yes, he believed too high of profits destroyed nations. Capitalism, according to the father of capitalism, free markets and modern economy, is designed to benefit all citizens by ensuring that inequality is curbed in the form of higher taxes on the rich, regulations on commerce/banking, living wages for workers, and government funded public education, among other measures.

In short, today's Republican Party has rejected Adam Smith (and capitalism) for an affair with atheist plutocrat Ayn Rand.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:08 pm

ET

Postby ET » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:23 pm

ET

Postby Bruce Gourley » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:43 pm

ET, it seems you may be (willfully?) out of touch with the philosophical underpinnings of today's Republican Party. :wink:

For starters ...

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:12 pm

ET Says: My premise is that as government grows and its powers expand beyond a limited role, a system is created whereby those with money and access can use that system to benefit themselves at the expense of the rest of the citizenry.

I would argue that government growing beyond control is the result of big business (private wealth) taking over government. Economic historians generally point to about 1970 as to when big business effectively gained control of government, meaning that big business attained the ability to steer and write legislation. Since that time, big business-controlled government has steered and written legislation to benefit the wealthy, and -- surprise! -- the government has steadily redistributed a greater share of tax dollars into the pockets of the wealthy, at the expense of the poor, middle class and small businesses.

Tax rates correspond to the conquering of the government by big business. As late as the early 1960s the top tax rate in America was 91% (the richest were taxed at this rate; America's economy rocked during this time), and now it is the 30s (and the economy has struggled ever since Reagan began massive redistribution of wealth from the poor and middle class to the rich). The reason America is suffering financially is quite simple: the richest are not paying their share of taxes, content instead to force the tax burden upon the poor and middle class, of whom want to pay less and less in order to paid their own pockets even more (or, more realistically, to hide their greedy profits in off shore tax havens to avoid paying taxes).

As Adam Smith warned us long ago, such plutocracy is an enemy of capitalism, and destroys nations.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Key review well timed

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:28 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby ET » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:15 pm

ET

Postby Bruce Gourley » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:14 am

Good set of articles Bruce. Our economic policies should not be based on fiction.

As for tax rates, the Kennedy drop in top income tax rate was counterbalanced by increases in the capital gains tax rate. It took Reaganomics to drastically lower income and capital gains taxes to levels unprecedented since the lead up to the Great Depression.

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:23 pm

Last edited by ET on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
ET

Postby KeithE » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:13 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues