[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Finally Retired

Finally Retired

Pull up a chair and introduce yourself. We're glad you're here.

Finally Retired

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:24 pm

From Joseph Patrick...(really Gerry Milligan)

Friends on Baptist life boards...I have finally retired and my wife and I have moved to the Portland, Oregon area. We have yet to find a Baptist church in Portland, but are still visiting.

An old saying..."confession is good for the soul" but probably BAD for the reputation...My name is Gerry Milligan and have used the pseudonym of Joseph Patrick (one of my grandsons) to prevent any retaliation from the IMB as I was an active IMB missionary when I started posting. Then I was on the faculty of Oklahoma Baptist University, which is becoming more fundamentalist by the day (how else can you rationalize a "young earther" in the religion department?).

David Flick knew my identity and William Thornton suspected it, but I do apologize for the subterfuge. As I am technologically challenged, I will continue to sign in as Joseph Patrick, but will always try to sign off with my name.

I enjoy being able to interact with all of you, either actively or as a lurker.
Gerry
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Re: Finally Retired

Postby Haruo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:03 am

Congratulations on your retirement and your successful undercover life.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:13 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:42 am

Yes, I think I could change your name to reflect your name. Let me know, Gerry, what form you would like. All versions of your real name are available, e.g.

Gerry
Gerry M.
Gerry Milligan
Gerry "Joseph Patrick" Milligan
Milligan, G.
Milligan

I'll gladly change it to whatever you'd like, no charge. ;-)

Oh, and since Portland is practically a suburb of Seattle ;-) , welcome to the 'hood! There are Baptist churches in PDX, but I don't know any to recommend. My brother Graham, who graduated from Reed and lives near Mt. Tabor, goes to a Presby church, Westminster I think it's called? If you like to drive, you might check out , near the campus. BPFNA held their summer camp at Linfield one year and that was the only time I recall going to a Baptist church in Oregon.
fbcm2linfield.png
It's about 40 miles, a bit over an hour to drive or a bit more than that by bus (which I would have to use) each way.
fbcm2pdx.png
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Gerry, congratulations on your retirement and your freedom!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:03 am

From Joseph Patrick...AKA Gerry Milligan

Haruo, Thanks for the offer to sign me in by my real name...I will keep it in mind. Right now, with our move from Oklahoma (which Hoyt Axton labeled as the cultural center of the universe in a pizza commercial several years ago) I would like to defer for a while.

Also, thanks for the thought about FBC of McMinnville, but with gas prices what they are, I cannot see us driving over an hour, one way. Years ago, when I was in seminary, we drove about 40 minutes one way on Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday. But, we were young and Ron Dunn was our pastor and he was an outstanding preacher.
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Return to Welcome Forum. (For Visitors and New Users)