[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Vines bio Critique misses point

Vines bio Critique misses point

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Vines bio Critique misses point

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:59 pm

http://abpnews.com/ministry/people/item ... obiography

For sure this is the money shot of the Vines bio but the larger criticism should focus on how the John Birch Society influenced Vines from his two terms at West Rome Baptist Church. WRBC was known as a hotbed of Birchism in the 60's not friendly to the witness of Martin Luther King, Jr at the time who was thought of as a Communist.

When Vines was running for SBC President there was a feature in the Atlanta Constitution that compared FBC Rome with West Rome. If I'm not mistaken West Rome was a mission of FBC Rome.

And a look at the legacy of West Rome in light of the failures of Inerrancy as framed by Molly Worthen would be a better more educational review of Vines than this unfortunate episode of sex abuse.

I hope to come across the book, may read it in the Barnes n Noble in Rome, Ga. I know for a while Vines was commenting on William Thornton's blog. Maybe Thornton has some insight and can do us a review that appropriates the fine series he did on the Lottie Moon book a few years ago
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Vines bio Critique misses point

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Sorry, Stephen, you completely missed this. I started a topic, since this one is DOA.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:32 pm

Can you make a rule that if, in the discussion of Vine's bio, mention is made of Molly Worthen, the John Birch Society, Trey Gowdy, First Baptist Church of Spartanburg, Billy Graham and anything else along those lines is off limits, and as moderator, you will delete the post?

Thanks in advance.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:07 am

Stephen understands that his stuff on this forum has to be relevant, which is why he does most of his Worthen stuff on the History forum these days.

Stephen, you raised a good subject with the vines bio. Since no one here has read it, you could get a jump on things by reading my relevant links in the topic I started.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Executive Committee meeting in San Antonio

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:48 pm

I was there the afternoon Vines was elected. Lot of tension in the room. I remember Al Shcackleford told me in the press room his job may be on the axe. Richard Jackson was there. Vines looked about as stressed as a Baptist preacher could look on the dais.

May tell rest of the story soon.

Pressler did make a motion to remove Shackleford, but it was July of 89, year and half later before he got it done.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Take a hint stephen, no Bircher stuff here
William Thornton
Site Admin

What happened to my joke

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:06 pm