[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - President’s Plan to Reduce Gun Violence

President’s Plan to Reduce Gun Violence

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

President’s Plan to Reduce Gun Violence

Postby KeithE » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:03 am

Moving this subject over to the PPP Forum. What do ya’ll think about the President’s Plan?

I have yet to read it, but I’d be interested in thoughtful discussion on this plan (or other plans) because school/public violence is not going to fix itself.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: President’s Plan to Reduce Gun Violence

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:24 am

Pretty simple plan. The two key elements are the closing of loopholes in purchasing and registration and school safety. The assault weapons ban is just common sense, and a restoration of the original intent of the constitutional right to bear arms, which has been turned upside down by the NRA and their manufacturing and sale interests. They couldn't care less about dead kids, as long as they are profiting from it.

School safety is going to involve a culture change. You can secure your entrances, but how do you keep kids from bringing something through the door? That will require searching backpacks, and search devices at the door. A nice tax on gun sales would be required to pay for that.
Sandy

Postby ET » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:48 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:23 pm

The reality of the situation is that gun manufacturing is one of the multi-billion dollar a year businesses that has paid for Congress and gets what they want. Until that is brought under control, and the constitution is enforced as it was intended by the founding fathers, gun violence will increase.

Schools can be secured. It will cost, and it will look like we live in a society that is out of control with gun violence (we are), but kids should be able to be safe at school. I'm not a death penalty advocate, but if an intruder brings a gun into a school building, I'm all for life in prison without parole. A 90% tax on gun sales would pay for the security and the metal detectors that would be required.
Sandy

Postby ET » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:51 pm

ET

Postby David Flick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:29 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:25 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:45 am

David, to me the "guns don't kill people" analogy has always been one of the worst. If guns don't kill people why does the military have them? Or should we send our army to battle with just knives next time?? If gun don't kill people than neither do bombs. If that is the case than why are we concerned about terroists having nuclear weapons?

The truth is that guns, bombs, etc. allow people to kill MORE people than can than can kill without them. Guns multiply and enhance the ability for people to kill other people in mass numbers, at a distance, and quickly so that cowards and crazies can take dozens of lives in one ignominious blaze.

Right now we are creating a society where some people are being allowed to openly carry WMD into the restaurant and the grocery store. If that trend continues how will we know the crazy shooter carrying weapons into Kroger from the nice guy who just has a gun fetish? We won't until the nut ball opens fire and kills.

When I was in Israel I had to get used to soldiers walking the streets openly carrying automatic weapons for our safety. Do we really want to become such a gun toting society that our police have to be so armed? Do we want the US to be like the Middle East? Do we want the US to be more like Mexico with its level of violence?

I think it is far past time for the Americans to end their love affair with guns for the sake of the safety of its own citizens.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:23 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Sandy

Postby ET » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:58 pm

ET

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:08 am

Sandy

Postby ET » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:26 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:58 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:37 am

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:33 pm

Ed: Sandy I do not doubt that you believe "that some of the weapons used in the Aurora theater shooting were also purchased at gun shows. The shooter in the school in Pearl, Mississippi and Jonesboro, Arkansas were as well, I believe. And Tucson." but can you support it?
Ed Pettibone

Postby ET » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:26 pm

ET

Re: More data....

Postby ET » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:29 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:00 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 am

Strong stats on the gun violence issues that so many US citizens just don't want to admit. We have become a very gun violent society. Are we going to do something about it? Or are we going to descend into the kind country were violence like in some parts of Mexico is common place? Are we going to become a country where police have to carry high powered weapons as in the middle east just to keep up? Is this what we want the US to become?
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby ET » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:27 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:51 pm

If I get everything set, I'll be down there on Tuesday morning (15th) to play and would like to be in B-ham by 3 as the camp is supposed to end at 4 and I'd like a little cushion. Once I find out for sure when the camp ends, I'll PM you and we can see if we can get it arranged. Probably shoot for a tee-off between 8:30 and 9:30 and guessing about a four hour round.

There's a chance my former next door neighbor might come along, but I haven't heard anything back from him on it, so that's just a possibility at the moment. I'll talk to you soon. :)

If it works out, I'll make the reservations online. We can discuss which of the two to play. We not too far off on skill level, either. On a typical course I can shoot anywhere from 43-50, so given one of the RTJ courses will probably be a step up in difficulty than the stuff I regularly play, we should have a good time.
ET

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:58 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues