[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Wade Burleson on Patterson admitting a Muslim

Wade Burleson on Patterson admitting a Muslim

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Wade Burleson on Patterson admitting a Muslim

Postby Matt Richard » Fri May 16, 2014 11:37 am

I must admit this all confuses me...

http://www.wadeburleson.org/2014/05/sou ... c.html?m=1
Matt Richard

Re: Wade Burleson on Patterson admitting a Muslim

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri May 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Matt Richard » Fri May 16, 2014 1:55 pm

:D SWBTS admitting a Muslim and Patterson trying to cover it up. It makes me wonder if there is more to the story. If there is some unknown motive. It may be typical Patterson to rule in this manner, but this specific behavior is not consistent with him and (I would think) most SWBTS constituency.
Matt Richard

Postby William Thornton » Fri May 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Interesting.

SWBTS, among our six Cooperative Program seminaries, is experiencing the most consistent decline in enrollment. I doubt this will help, though additional details will doubtlessly surface that may ameliorate the matter.

If there was good reason to admit a professing Muslim student, and that contrary to established trustee policy, Patterson should have taken the matter to his trustee board, explained why this would be appropriate, and let them approve it, rather than do it and, as is alleged, threaten those who knew with firing.

At some point unlimited power is harmful, but I cannot say we didn't grant a few such.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Fri May 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Oh my, this is just out of this world hilarious. Paige may have really stepped in it this time, but not to worry, he wears boots.
Jerry_B

Postby William Thornton » Fri May 16, 2014 8:11 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat May 17, 2014 12:31 am

"both Israelis and Muslims"

hmm
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat May 17, 2014 8:28 am

I don't have any reason not to trust what Wade says. He always gets his facts right.

If this is the case, and Patterson didn't get trustee approval for this, it's a huge problem. I doubt that the trustees will take any action, though. That's a board that he hand picked.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sat May 17, 2014 9:27 am

It's not a huge problem if the trustees acquiesce.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat May 17, 2014 9:34 am

If SWBTS is a church, as I gather Dr. Patterson has argued, and if he is therefore Christ's Vicar in that church, then Wade is spot on. He (Patterson) should run the place by fiat as he wishes, and the SBC should stop funding the outfit. "Cooperating with Mormons and other Great Commission Christians" indeed! Funny.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat May 17, 2014 10:55 am

I'm glad none of what I am able to give reaches SWBTS for many reasons. Patterson is chief among them.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat May 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Southwestern was Patterson's fief from the beginning of the conservative resurgence. Even while he was at Southeastern, he was laying the groundwork, via trustee board choices, for getting the presidency of SWBTS. I think his leadership of the two schools shows the results of two different styles of leadership. At Southeastern, he didn't have a hand picked trustee board, and ran the school administratively within the parameters that policy required. He essentially brought leadership to the school that resulted in its highest enrollment (even without the BA programs) and brought financial stability that it had never known. At Southwestern, where he had a hand picked board when he arrived, he got a school where the enrollment and financial situation was healthy, and attempted to rule by fiat. It hasn't had good results.

This is a problem. A theological seminary isn't an evangelistic ministry, and it's a violation of the wishes of Southern Baptist to hand out grad degrees to Muslims.
Sandy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sun May 18, 2014 12:34 pm

I don't know what one does with a Ph.D. in Archaeology from a seminary, but I hope this brouhaha doesn't result in the school booting the Muslim student. That would be absolutely cruel.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Sun May 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Southwestern does not offer a doctorate in Archaeology. It offers a Master of Arts in Archaeology and Biblical Studies, so somewhere in the information that has been shared about the Muslim student, there's an error. There's a consortium of schools involved in the archaeology project at Tel Gezer in Israel and some of them may offer it, but this student is enrolled in Southwestern, from what is being said. To be admitted to Southwestern, under its written policy, you must provide a written testimony of your personal salvation experience and your call to Christian ministry, and have that verified by submitting a recommendation that your church has provided, voted on at a business meeting. So if a Muslim is enrolled, someone had to bypass the written, stated policy of admission approved by the trustees. I would guess that it would require trustee approval to make an exception.

When I was admitted to Southwestern, I had an interview with the director of Admissions which was quite specific regarding my calling to ministry, and what I planned to do in vocational ministry. That is still a requirement. I was told that the reason for the strictness and detail of the interview was because about 80% of the cost of my education at Southwestern was subsidized by the Cooperative Program, and the Southern Baptists who were investing in it were entitled to know that those who were being given this opportunity were genuinely called to ministry service. The percentage of subsidy from the CP per student today is still around 70% of the total cost. So I can't imagine that the trustees would grant some kind of exception to that.

It would be unfortunate for the Muslim student, who has been enrolled in the program, to have his degree program terminated, though I think other arrangements could be made for him to finish his degree. A degree from Southwestern says that the person who earned it has committed to a minimum of five years of Christian vocational or missions ministry. To allow a Muslim to earn one, and use it later on, violates the integrity of what it stands for. As a Southwestern graduate, I am completely opposed to allowing a Muslim to receive a degree, regardless of what field of study it is in.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 18, 2014 2:45 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun May 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Southwestern's admission practices and policies were in effect long before the conservatives became the majority on the trustee boards. Southwestern would not have admitted a Muslim when I was there, and Russell Dilday and the moderates controlled the board. Those rules and policies go back at least to the 1960's, maybe further. So, Timothy, your criticism doesn't hold water.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun May 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon May 19, 2014 5:00 am

Sandy

How is Wade Burleson not a fundamentalist

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon May 19, 2014 9:05 am

Words have meaning and we must be honest about the word Fundamentalist.

The Southern Baptist Convention is a FUNDAMENTALIST denomination.

That was the whole purpose of the Takeover to make sure everybody believed the first eleven chapters of Genesis are History and SCIENCE. That was Pressler's mantra.

All the Creeds and Resolutions are Fundy.

So let's don't change definitions in the middle of the Game.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: How is Wade Burleson not a fundamentalist

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon May 19, 2014 10:04 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon May 19, 2014 10:09 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon May 19, 2014 10:27 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Mon May 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Lou

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon May 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Here is a question I've not heard an answer to. Why the policy in the first place? What possible had could there be in a Muslim studying at a Baptist seminary? No one is going to mistake him for a Southern Baptist. Why the rule?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends