[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - US Climate Change Report Out

US Climate Change Report Out

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: US Climate Change Report Out

Postby KeithE » Sat May 10, 2014 3:12 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat May 10, 2014 3:43 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat May 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat May 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sat May 10, 2014 7:25 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun May 11, 2014 5:19 am

William, I was just tweaking you a bit about believing that free markets will take care of things. Actually, even zoning impedes the free market. Also, the markets are a human creation just like government is a human creation--both equally imperfect among sinful people.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun May 11, 2014 7:17 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Mon May 12, 2014 12:56 pm

This report from the World Resources Institute has 50+ references showing that 2012 was the worst year in recorded history.

2013 report not yet out but an interim discussion up to July 2013 is available ).

Check it out. WRI was founded in 1982.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Antarctica

Postby KeithE » Tue May 13, 2014 5:26 pm

Although the time frame is still centuries away. But the cause is most likely of our industrialization timeframe (1900-now) including both global warming and ozone depletion which have caused wind shifts in the area.

Watch the video.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue May 13, 2014 9:44 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby ET » Tue May 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Last edited by ET on Fri May 16, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ET

Postby William Thornton » Wed May 14, 2014 4:34 am

I remember Memphis in 1980 with 15 straight days of 100+ temps and a high of 108. I was working in attics then (albeit in very early morning hours) putting in insulation. I would have been a true believer in GW back then but gummit had not officially declared it and Al Gore hadn't made a movie.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed May 14, 2014 6:06 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Fri May 16, 2014 3:22 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Sun May 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sun May 18, 2014 9:23 pm

If any of you had watched the "This Old House" marathon today on public tv that showed the devastation of the homes on the Jersey shore from hurricane Sandy you would see how a "Whoop di doo" answer is a real slap in the face to thousands of heartbroken families. Say "aw whoop di doo" to the victims of the Oso slide just a short drive from our house. :( Somebody has a problem with an "I have mine, nuts to you" attitude me thinks. :censored:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon May 19, 2014 7:37 am

Ed: Number one ET was not talking about Oso. Mans activity does seem to have contributed to the Mud slide there but it did not cause the rain which caused the the slide;

See this report; The plateau above the hillside that gave way has been logged for almost a century, and the hillside has a history of landslides dating back more than 60 years. For more than 25 years, as the slope became more unstable, scientists challenged the timber cutting and warned of possible calamity. Yet the state continued to allow logging on the plateau. A "clear-cut" is an area of land in which all the trees have been cut down. One suspected trigger of the Oso landslide is a clear-cut, undertaken 9 years ago, that apparently encroached into a restricted area and is only now being investigated.

The landslide, which occurred near the banks of the Stillaguamish River, was not only predictable; it was also predicted. New York Times reporter Timothy Egan recounts touring the headwaters of the Stillaguamish 25 years ago with Pat Stevenson, a biologist with the local Stillaguamish tribe: "Stevenson pointed uphill, to bare, saturated earth that was melting, like candle wax, into the main mudslide. Not long ago, this had been a thick forest of old growth timber. But after it was excessively logged, every standing tree removed, there was nothing to hold the land in place during heavy rains. A federal survey determined that nearly 50 percent of the entire basin above Deer Creek had been logged over a 30-year period. It didn't take a degree in forestry to see how one event led to the other." Forest root systems hold the soil in place, and old-growth forests absorb about ten times as much water as clear-cut land.

State allowed logging on plateau above slope | Local News ...
seattletimes.com/.../2023225363_mudslideloggingxml....
The Seattle Times
Mar 25, 2014 - In recent decades the state allowed logging — with restrictions — on the ... Related. Interactive map:

Number two, I do not believe ET was discounting the pain and suffering of the Storm Victims in New Jersey but was simply discounting Keith's reference to the dollar amounts of damage offered by Keith
For several years in recent history the area has been over built with Homes in the $500,000 and up range. Therefor it is not reasonable to compare recent damage with the distant past.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Mon May 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Nature conservancy and Keystone Pipeline

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 20, 2014 4:28 am

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: US Climate Change Report Out...yikes

Postby ET » Tue May 20, 2014 8:55 pm

ET

Re: Follow the money

Postby ET » Tue May 20, 2014 8:57 pm

Last edited by ET on Thu May 22, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ET

Re: US Climate Change Report Out...yikes

Postby KeithE » Tue May 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue May 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu May 22, 2014 10:08 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Fri May 23, 2014 8:47 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues