[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Paul Pressler died on a Hill of Quicksand

Paul Pressler died on a Hill of Quicksand

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Paul Pressler died on a Hill of Quicksand

Postby KeithE » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:49 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

There was no Mohler without Pressler

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:46 pm

For anyone interested in how the Fundamentalist takeover was possible, look no further than the Birch Society strategies that made it possbile, the netowrk that Presller ABND His Family had a lifetime in perfecting. Pressler Exxon VP son. Birch Society money fixated on Carter's tax on windfall profits in 78 and redirected the country's course in mid Cycle election with strategic financing in congressional races Tom Edsall The New Politics of Inequality.

Joe Ferguson is his book on Jesse Helms connects the Pressler dots the funday takeover of the SBC.

In Feb 1988 Dan Vestal passed on to me the rumor voiced to him by Bill Moyers Pressler groups were in collusion with Jesse Helms network to the tune of 100,000 dollars in the conservative resurgence.

It is a matter of record how Pressler despised Jimmy Allen and James Dunn for them helping deliver Texas to Carter in 76.

Rice Proff Chandler Davidson suggested Pressler's family fought Marney in late 50's over Brown V Baord

Neal Rodgers in Baptist Laity Journal rpeorted on Pressler and PAtterson strong lings to Birch Right in Texas and key fundraising events.

As late as last election Pressler attempted to be kingmaker for Rick Santorum.

Pressler's Birch society hardwring is blatant for any to see. If Thornton and Sandy want to stay blind, I can't sight them!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Stephen, you are blind to one clear fact. The conservatives sustained a continuous and steady domination of the SBC annual meeting from 1979 onward. I doubt if there were more than a handful of messengers in the room at any gathering after 1979 who gave a tinker's dam about the John Birch society. Essentially, the conservatives laid out the differences between those who were in leadership in the SBC prior to 1979, and those whom they were nominating for leadership. It got close only when the moderates chose candidates for the presidency who were conservative, namely Winfred Moore and Richard Jackson, and who were essentially inerrantists and literalists.

Had there not been a substantial and significant majority of conservatives in the SBC who were already pretty much in basic agreement that the seminaries and institutions of higher education were drifting to the left, and away from their mission and purpose, and who were committed to pulling them back, there would have been no way to sustain the movement to the point where it would control all trustee selections.

Pressler was already appointed to the bench by the time he got involved in the SBC. The Bushes, who were more interested in how they could use religious conservatives for their own benefit, rather than accepting their politics or Christian beliefs, kept their distance from Pressler, as well as from Richard Land, because they saw them as political liabilities. Neither Pressler nor Land achieved their stated goals with regard to religious right politics, which proves your thesis to be overstated and off the mark.
Sandy

Foy Valentine's son in law, Bill Moyers and Pat Anderson

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Beg to Differ with you, Sandy, As Does Dan Williams who wrote the book on religious right and SBC a few years ago, not to mention Bill Friday, former chancellor of UNC System

Valentine's son in law, was Lee Berg, now divorced from Carol Valentine; Pat Anderson is a Furman grad, two years behind Marshall Frady, and editor of Christian Ethics Today.

Also Ellen Rosenberg, author of the 88 book SB's in Transition disagrees with you to the tune of her whole last chapter on SBC and Far Right.

Buch 41 nominated Pressler for US Office of Ethics as late as 1990. 11 years into the Takeover; and all the scholars I read say the hardwiring of Richard Land to the GOP climaxed in the election of Bush 42 in Florida in 2000 where Billy Graham made a key endorsement!

So, take the Birchers out of the equation and it is you, Sandy, who is out to lunch on this one, not me!

I forgot, you missed it the first 50 times I've mentioned it on this board, but Check page A-4 of the Wash Post June 11, 1986 piece by Tom Edsall headlined New Right now controls Huge SBC. And he names all the Presidents of the Takeover to that date that were founding members of Tim Lahaye's ACTV for whom Joe Rodgers Finance chair of the Tenn GOP raised, 100,000 dollars. In case you can't remember Lahaye and his political activity, well the Worthen book you now own can remind you about the "perfect storm".

Stephen Fox

Postby Mrs Haruo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:45 pm

I lost respect for Tim Lahaye after one of his books referred to a cataclysmic volcanic eruption that is written up in many reputable history books --- Tim horribly misspelled the name of the volcano and put it in the wrong ocean. If you are going to charge big bucks for books and seminars on how I should raise my kids and run my life, I think you should hire a decent editor to check your facts and proofread. :brick:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Mrs Haruo, get Molly's book soon

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:20 pm

Upshot of her examination of Francis Schaeffer is he's a charlatan; and Lahaye was the glue for Pressler's Birch goals for the SBC:
http://esrh.blogspot.com/2013/10/molly- ... alism.html

Stephen Fox

Pressler just endorsed Lankford for Senate in OK

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 13, 2014 6:08 pm

Calling himself a man of "unyielding faith" Pressler heartily endorsed Lankford an ordained SBC minister and grad of SBTS who talks often of his Christian World view on Lankford's public Senate Campaigh facebook wall.

I shared the endorsement with Molly Worthen via facebook.

Stephen Fox

Re: Pressler just endorsed Lankford for Senate in OK

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed May 14, 2014 8:38 am

Ed Pettibone

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues