Is Hershel Hobbs rolling in his grave?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Is Hershel Hobbs rolling in his grave?

Postby Joseph Patrick » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:36 pm

From Joseph Patrick...

It was recently announced that First Baptist, Oklahoma City, whose pastor recently took the senior pastorate at First Baptist Knoxville, was left with $500,000 in debt. Now the church has let two people go (some might call it a firing). Also, all staff were getting a 10% pay cut.There were several other benefits cut.

How does this happen? Where was the congregational oversight? Where was the finance committee's oversight? How could a church go 8 years spending more than was given.

My heart goes out to the two staff whose positions were eliminated. Also, a dying church in a downtown location...what is to happen?
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Re: Is Hershel Hobbs rolling in his grave?

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:40 am

Don't know, but have good friends, William and Catherine Dooley, who are members there. Another friend, Max Lyall, was a member there until his death about 4 years ago.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Herschel Hobbs never cut it with me

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:31 am

See Ellen Ferguson treatment of Hobbs Mind in the section on Carter as exemplar of the Southern Baptist mind in Ellen's seminal work SB's in Transtion.

As for Lamar's friends at FBC Knoxville, who was the famous pastor of the 60s who left for big pulpit in Washington D.C.......Cormac McCarthy was never far from from FBC in vicinity. I imagine some members there know his work well.

Charles Trentham, is that the name I'm looking for. Some suspect he was Harold Bloom's anonymous insight into the mind of Baptists for The American Religion.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Is Hershel Hobbs rolling in his grave?

Postby Chris » Mon May 05, 2014 11:04 am

It's so sad to see this happen.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Return to SBC News and Trends