[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Pressler says it started at2nd Houston with Johnny Baugh

Pressler says it started at2nd Houston with Johnny Baugh

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Pressler says it started at2nd Houston with Johnny Baugh

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:52 pm

Sandy says of Worthen " She writes like a professor would lecture."

Ed: Gee Sandy, had you attended SBTS rather than SEBTS, pre Mohler that would be a compliment Even some of the Professors who hung on at Southern into the Mohler administration where quite dynamic. Even some that he pirated from some strong evangelical institutions where dynamic. And really, I was privileged to become familiar with a few former SWBTS professors who where great teachers. William Hendricks leads that list.

I may be forced to read Worthen to discover what you meant by what sounded to me like a slur. If by "She writes like a professor would lecture", you meant a compliment, please accept my apology. Thus far I have not read her, because thus far Fox has not presented, what to me would be a compelling reason to do so.

Personally I would rather read a book on this subject by Neil Heath or even William Thornton than one who was born only 5 years before the takeover was essentially complete. In fact a book by the two of them comparing and contrasting experiences related to the controversy could be interesting. How about it guys?

I would like to do the forward but I think perhaps David Flick has a more balanced appreciation of those two.
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:11 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:20 am

I appreciate the suggestion, Ed, but I'm not sure I could do the subject justice, and there are a good many excellent ones out there already that far exceed my ability to write.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:54 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:34 am

Sandy

Idiot circus, stuck on the merry go round

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:44 pm

That's what I feel like in this converstion with you fellows, with the exception of KeithE

Again for the record, here is the Balmer review which Sandy and Pettibone have so conveniently ignored for their lesser banter:

http://www.christiancentury.org/reviews ... ly-worthen
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Balmer's review, coming from yet another pseudo-intellectual liberal SBC hater, is predictable. Note that Balmer is just reviewing the book, and is mainly a puff piece.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:21 pm

I may get around to reading Worthen some day, I am a bit curious as to what she considers to have been "Core of the SBC".

But if her style is indeed "turgid and boring", I doubt I would Finnish it. Of the many "professors" that I have had in 4 Southern Baptist owned or affiliated institutions of Higher education from 1956 to 1992, and four state operated universities in three states, plus one private ultra conservative nondenominational Bible college. I can think of only one professor who fits your description of Worthen's writing. That was a Biology professor at Howard (now Samford) in the spring of 57.
Ed Pettibone

Re: Idiot circus, stuck on the merry go round

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Well, Ed, if another book rehashing the SBC controversy is on your list, this isn't it, because it doesn't really do that. It isn't easy reading, but the biggest benefit from it for me was the ability to see, through the perspective of a relative outsider who is basically writing an academic research analysis of American Evangelical conservatives. It's always nice to know what others are thinking.
Sandy

Re: Did Sandy miss the Century link by Balmer

Postby KeithE » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:39 am

The "lack of consensus" on interpretation of scripture among Evangelicals is the most oft cited "proof" for liberals like Worthen against the authority of scripture. The only real problem with that contention, though, is that the lack of consensus is really small and insignificant, and in fact, other than for those on the left, is more unifying than it is divisive. On the essentials, particularly the inerrancy of scripture, there's remarkable consensus. That's what Worthen fails to understand.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:44 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:18 am

I contend that the "divide" is much softer and less significant than critics of evangelicalism tend to want to make it. It is the standard argument of critics, as I've said before, so they keep hammering away at it. There's an appearance of a divide, mainly because most evangelicals are congregational, and the churches are independent and autonomous, including a large number of non-denominational congregations. In most Mainline denominations, doctrine is a matter of what the clergy says it is, and that's the official line. People can, and do, have their own interpretations, but these don't affect the perspective of the church or group because it is what the clergy says that evaluates the matter. Since most critics of evangelicalism come from liberal mainline churches, they are unable to distinguish between the church's doctrinal covenant, and individual interpretations of it. Since individuals have a much greater voice in influencing and directing a congregational church, the appearance to someone like Worthen is that there is a divide, and a scattered appearance when it comes to doctrinal unity. But if you look at the interpretations arrived at through congregational consensus, there's less difference than in Mainline churches with forced agreement. Worthen never gets that, nor does she convey an understanding, which could only come from experience, of the role that the Holy Spirit plays in Christian unity, especially among Evangelicals.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:36 am

Ed: Keith when you say of Worthen's book " It reviews are uncommonly high 13 out of 17 are 5 stars with no 1 stars."

I would caution dependence on such reviews. When I see that sort of imbalance I have a suspicion that the deck has been stacked.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Ed: Keith when you say of Worthen's book " It reviews are uncommonly high 13 out of 17 are 5 stars with no 1 stars."

I would caution dependence on such reviews. When I see that sort of imbalance I have a suspicion that the deck has been stacked.

And Sandy when you write " Since most critics of evangelicalism come from liberal mainline churches,...",
can you provide evidence to support such a statement? I believe that most criticism of Evangelicalism is misdirected and in large part comes from liberals. However I do not see it as coming primarily from Mainline churches. I am convinced that more of what I see comes from, liberal one time Evangelical dropouts of the "5th estate", who may or may not now have any true religious affiliation. And often if they have a current religious affiliation, it is a to provide them an appearance of a valid basis for their biases. And no I can not support that statement I need to research the idea, as it only came to me as I began to explain what I find wrong with your claim that "most" anti evangelicalism come from "Liberal Mainline Churches".

AND again we are off the topic of where the SBC upheaval began.
Ed Pettibone

Bonhoeffer, The Pope even Karl Rove

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:16 pm

Take the divide among evangelicals seriously as does NT Wright's great friend Will Willimon.

Fox News studies it day and night like the Devil who walked the earth trying to find who he could devour. With Sandy's encouragement, he found Job.

It is ridiculous in the face of Furman, Samford, Baylor etc fleeing Mohlerism and the rupture the likes of Francis Schaeffer stoked and helped fissure; it is ridiculous to dismiss all of this with such cavalier abandon as Sandy does.

Again as well spoken as he is, if reading Worthen were a test of his reading comprehension, he fails miserably. From the fellow at Baylor, to Balmer, to Mark Noll and Darren Dochuk and hopefully soon to Bruce Gourley and Lamar Wadsworth the consensus will add even more heft to the obvious conclusion Sandy is perverting the clear value of Worthen's work including her analysis of Francis Schaeffer.

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:03 pm

I'd be more interested to hear what Mohler has to say about Worthen's book, or someone like Jeff Iorg or Danny Akin than Randall Balmer, or Mark Noll. First of all, it would be a fair evaluation, not a sales pitch like most of what you've posted, and second, it would be interesting to see if they think its worth the paper its printed on to read it, if for no other reason, for its critical value, if it has any.

Nothing else really holds significance here, Stephen. The SBC is more than a generation removed from its leadership change, and has sustained and affirmed the direction taken by the conservative resurgence repeatedly and overwhelmingly. You're down there in the Heart O' Dixie, why not take a drive through the countryside, visit some SBC pastors and churches, and see how many you find who aren't in agreement with the direction the SBC headed in 1979.

Get yourself a copy of one of Francis Schaeffer's more recent works, take your copy of Molly's Apostles of Reason, to take with you, set on the desk when you talk to one of the pastors, and see which one he trusts more. :lol:

The characterization of Conservative Evangelicals as "anti-intellectual" is an intentional misnomer. It's the result of attempting to blend them into the same mix as "fundamentalists." There are Baptist fundamentalists, of the Jack Hyles-Bob Jones-Lee Roberson brand, but they are pretty much all of the independent, fundamental variety. That's usually the first mistake made in analyzing the SBC. Within the convention, there are a few churches like that, but not many. The other mistake is equating anti-intellectualism with anti-humanism. It's arrogant and patronizing to think that not holding "popular" humanist perspectives is a sign of a lack of intellectual pursuit. Evangelicals attend, get good grades, and graduate from some of the most prestigious, highly respected academic ivory towers in the country. Look at the faculty lists of the SBC seminaries. I guess it irks some pseudo-intellectual critics that they can't indoctrinate everyone.
Last edited by Sandy on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:20 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:20 pm

Yes, I read Worthen's book. I believe her term is "crisis" and she attempts to lay the groundwork, over the idea that the differences of interpretation of scripture are significant enough to indicate division. Actually, some of her reviewers characterize her perspective as seeing a "civil war" among Evangelicals. Wishful thinking, I believe.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Ed Pettibone

Sandy, Pressler and Helms Birchism

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Did not produce ethics proff like this:

http://ethicsdaily.com/a-tribute-to-two ... -cms-21753

Russ Moore is pieced together from mush and if you scratch Mohler deep enough you find D James Kennedy not to mention your guri Schaeffer.

That's not to say an SBC Fundy can't occasionally stumble on some worthwhile nugget of insight or turn a phrase.

Noll, Balmer, Marsh, Dochuk, they all come out of strong, you could almost say fundamentalist roots, yet, like Marney they pilgrimmed forth.

Remind me again by name that great group of fundy takeover minds that are moving the church and society forward. As for me I like what the pantheon of my friend Balmer in the Time Mag cover story last week on Barbara Brown Taylor

Stephen Fox

PreviousNext

Return to SBC News and Trends