[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Pressler says it started at2nd Houston with Johnny Baugh

Pressler says it started at2nd Houston with Johnny Baugh

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Pressler says it started at2nd Houston with Johnny Baugh

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:59 pm

And what Pressler called a Whitewash committee on Ralph Elliot. See the story at www.abpnews.com

Lot more to come on this one. Way passed time for BHHS to talk to Chandler Davidson at Rice and Pressler's family history in the Texas Legislature that went after Carlyle Marney at FBC Austin in the 50's for supporting Brown V Board. And so far Sandy is the only one on this board to take a close look at Molly Worthen's Apostles of Reason. Time for the rest of you to come up to speed and Help Pressler remember better.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Pressler says it started at2nd Houston with Johnny Baugh

Postby Mrs Haruo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:09 pm

Fox, when are you going to bury these old bones and come into the 21st century?
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Pressler tribute to Francis Schaeffer

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:45 am

Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:55 pm

So what is new? Pressler has been spouting that stuff for decades. The story about what Dr. Schaffer told Pressler's friend Jess Crain. is on p 263 in A Hill On Which To Die.

I really do not understand why you and Bob Allen continue to promote his stuff. The story of the judge and his wife going to the Student apartment of Paige & Dorthy Patterson, and the visit to the Cafe du Monde starts on p 59.

John Baugh also told his story, In His book THE BATTLE FOR BAPTIST INTEGRITY
Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:53 am

Thanks Fox for bringing up this new historical article. While I’ve long been an advocate of complete SBC/CBF separation, a little history of the "conservative resurgence" or “takeover" (or whatever you want to call it) never hurts.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:29 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:42 pm

There's always a market for this stuff here.

I'm not sure why Bob Allen thought there was much news in it for ABP. Lately, all the CBFers are clamoring, 'let's move on.'
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:13 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Ed: William, would you explain that phrase "pre conservative SBC"? When was the SBC anything other than conservative?

Also where do you here any one in the CBF clamoring "Let's Move on"? Mostly what I hear at CBF events Is "We have moved on and we are doing great things but we have not arrived", and reminders that like the SBC of old and new, we are not GOD's LAST & ONLY HOPE. CBF emphasis much more the need to work with other Christiana organizations and still protect and project our Baptist Identity.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Neil Heath » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:38 pm

I have no idea where people think such talk is coming from after all these years. Almost all my contacts are with CBF people and I don't hear it from the leadership or from others. I'm personal friends with all the state staff, and it never comes up in our conversations. I'm serving my third year of a 3-year term on the state Coordinating Council. I can't say that I've heard any "let's move on" talk during my time there. That group is a good mix of young people with no direct connection to the past and folks like me who lived and served through the takeover years. We are energized by opportunities, not by any anger about the past. There are those among us who remember what happened with deep feelings, but that's in the past. It doesn't come up except as we might grieve over current fresh pain of friends and churches still dealing with the SBC/GBC world--and those are getting fewer every year.

I think we stopped looking back a long time ago in favor of asking where we can go from here, and how can we best serve Christ today with the resources at hand while developing more resources. Our frustrations are directed at having more ministry doors open than we can walk thru. We celebrated our 20th anniversary last year, and our energy is focused in positive directions for the future. A task force has spent the past year looking at where we should focus next, along with the structures that will best serve those goals. A lot of good stuff is happening, but nobody is wasting time on the past.

That "one consistent theme" Sandy described may have been there when he was a part of CBF in TX, but it's no longer a part of the world I know, the people I spend time with, or the meetings I attend.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:50 pm

That doesn't come across from CBF's press releases, especially such as the one Stephen posted here. It doesn't sound like "we've moved on" it sounds like "the meanies won and we can't get past it." Every time I hear the word "takeover" it underlines and emphasizes the fact that CBF not only hasn't moved on, but there is still resentment over it. I can't figure out how people who belong to, and have full voting rights in an organization can "take over" something they have every right and ability to lead according to the existing rules, but that's an attitude that speaks a lot louder than the words, "We've moved on and we're doing great things." It says "we haven't moved on and we have an inferiority complex about it."

Bob Allen is a CBF, ABP writer and editor, and it must be coming from somewhere for him to bring it up as frequently as he does.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:05 pm

There were several pieces lately, Ed. A few by Gushee and by some CBF younger types. I don't know why Allen carried this story, frankly. I [almost] never bring it up here myself.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:00 pm

While we are doing a new thing, it never hurts to review history.

Allen brought it up because Pressler retold aspects of the story to the Midwest BTS panel. No big deal on either’s part.

And Fox just posted Allen’s article. I appreciated it because it remind me or perhaps informed for the first time about certain apparent facts I had forgotten or never knew. Again no big deal.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:13 pm

If CBF has moved on, then why would Pressler and Patterson's reminiscing, or even making an appearance at Midwestern, be newsworthy for them? There was nothing new in anything that Pressler said, nothing inaccurate, and nothing that a group that has "moved on" would be interested in reading about.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:16 am

OK. We'll disconnect the two, except that I believe ABP receives a lot of its financial support from CBF. Hard to ignore other stuff that Allen writes, though, which does make a connection.

The "independent, autonomous, it's his baby" thing works, but only up to a point.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:45 pm

Ed Pettibone

Thanks Keith

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:21 pm

After 150 years scholars are still tweaking the Civil War. Just last week on an NPR show I heard the best articulation of why it, the Civil War mattered I've ever heard, It registered for the first time.

So it is with the historical significance of the SBC Takeover. Keith understands, I am disappointed Neil Heath doesn't have a better apprecaiton of history understood, and I gave up on Pettibone as being anything more than pettifoggery a long time ago.

I am proud to say I am in Randall Balmer's corner in this brilliant review of Worthen up last week at the Century. Sandy can keep beatin his head against the wall on Francis Schaeefer, there is not much more I can do to help him.

As for Thornton, all I got to say is a just sent a tribute note to my GHS tennis coach for whom the courts are being named in Camden S.C,, Roger a 63 classmate of Yates Frady's son Marshall.

For One and All, Hear the Gospel, the Truth; a "Tragedy"

http://www.christiancentury.org/reviews ... ly-worthen

Stephen Fox

Postby Neil Heath » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Not sure what you mean about me, Stephen. I lived it, and know the history pretty well.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:28 pm

No bias there, huh, Stephen? A review of one pseudo-intellectual by another. It's like bringing your own cheerleaders to the ball game.

You really need to read something by Schaeffer, especially after reading Worthen. It will be a refreshing, and enlightening experience. He's a dynamic and inspirational writer. She writes like a professor would lecture. Until you've read Schaeffer yourself, all you are offering here is your own biased view. Read Schaeffer and you will at least see why his ideas were so captivating to Southern Baptists, and why Worthen concedes that the SBC shift was inevitable, and wasn't a "takeover," but merely a leadership adjustment.

The ongoing significance of the SBC conservative resurgence is that it turned a major denomination from a path toward liberalism, and back to its conservative roots. Schaeffer was a contributor to that, and if you read him, you'll see why.
Sandy

Did Sandy miss the Century link by Balmer

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:39 pm

The Balmer review of April 15?

If so he needs to read it. Schaffer doesn't stack up.

I hope Lamar and KeithE and Neil, even Thornton read Worthen soon as Sandy will never take my word. Either Sandy's reading comprehension is much worse than any of us ever imagined, or he is so hell bent on spinning Worthen into saying something she clearly does not endorse, even concede.

Stephen Fox

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends