[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Gushee on the leaderless, rudderless CBF

Gushee on the leaderless, rudderless CBF

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Gushee on the leaderless, rudderless CBF

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:36 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Gushee on the leaderless, rudderless CBF

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:02 pm

I like David Gushee, my wife was one of his students when D.G. was at Southern struggling with Al Mohler's new idenity and I consider him a very competent ethicist. My Ethics mentor Henlee Barnette with whom, at that time I and some of Trudy's classmates had lunch a couple times a week, was impressed with D.G. felt that he demonstrated great potential.

But here again :brick: :brick: :brick: we have William who has never been active in CBF (True - he has attended a few hours of a couple CBF national assemblies and has shared a few meals with some of we BL.Com participants) in agreement with a former active CBF participant who ceased active participation after his choice candidate for a office in the organization was rejected for another candidate was, trying to explain to those of us who have been more active much longer why Gushee who had an affinity with a number of CBF activist for some years before he stopped eating from a SBC table, and moved into a strong CBF supporting institution has sufficient experience with CBF to speak as an authority regarding what we need to do.

I was pleased to see Gushee make the move from Union to Mercer but I am not persuaded that he is as much in touch with the wants and needs of the typical grassroots CBFer .

On the other hand I am not real sure how well Lee ( Sandy) Sanders and William Thornton or I for that matter interpret what Gushee is saying. I think Sanders and Thornton credit it with more weight than do I. Maybe Fox can get him to come here an tell us what he was saying. :)
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:27 pm

What Gushee said was he desired a “stronger concept of leadership” more willing to be out front with theological and ethical public statements. Being authoritative (not authoritarian) which means true to the facts but not imposing sanctions on those who disagree. Not that the CBF was “leaderless” or “rudderless” in serving congregations or missions.

to give it context.

I concur with Gushee and also find little fault in the CBF (although I have been largely out of touch for several years, choosing to speak publicly herein on theological, ethical and political issues {especially those that have an ethical content which is most everything political}).
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:51 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:26 am

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:10 am

I take Ed's point about my being an occasional attendee at CBF stuff. If any of my vast number of CBF friends plan to be in Atlanta this year, I will plan to attend, assuming they will be willing associate with a loyal SBCer.

My interest is that of a casual outsider. I thought Gushee was quite bold in addressing the ex-SBC theme that runs through the CBF and what needs to be done about it. The observation about lack of strong leadership seemed to be to be on target and one that might make CBF leaders past and present uncomfortable. Dan Vestal went underground years ago and the new leader might be offended by Gushee's statements on leadership.

A statement of faith from the CBF? The horror!
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:59 am

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Thu May 29, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:08 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:26 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Ed, that was a name-dropping tour de force worthy of Fox. Blue star for you, bro.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Gushee offers an objective view, which many in CBF are unable to see. That is one of the reasons that it has never been able to shake its image as "the Anti-SBC," or "ex-SBC." It's leaders marched away from the SBC in Atlanta over twenty years ago, expecting half the convention to follow. When that failed to materialize, they tried to recreate their lost structure as much as possible, with significantly reduced resources and a huge loss of prestige. In all honesty, there are fewer than 200 churches that severed ties with the SBC, and are uniquely aligned with CBF, most of the rest, according to their own website not more than a total of 1000, are somewhere along the spectrum of support for the Cooperative Program, from allowing a few SBC loyalists the privilege of giving, to churches that allow a few CBF supporters the same privilege. They are scattered all around the country, with a cluster of maybe 250-300 in North Carolina and Virginia, a smaller cluster in Georgia and South Carolina, and maybe 150 in Texas. The rest are dotted here and there. I would say that a majority are indistinguishable in identity from their SBC brethren, down to holding similar views on inerrancy, ordaining women and homosexuality.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:35 pm

I get it Ed. You are highly experienced and knowledgable about the CBF. I agree with that. All was attempting to say before you gave me your entire history with the CBF was that being very much an insider means you know a great deal but it gives you a potential blind spot because you are so highly committed to the organization. You can believe that or not. Doesn't matter to me.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:41 am

Actually, Gushee is in touch with the evolution of CBF. There is a need for more forceful leadership. CBF was born after a series of SBC movements with presidents, almost all of who could have been named "Dr. Ram R. Jammer" because of their "my way or the highway" approach. For that very reason, CBF shied away from strong roles for leadership. Where CBF is flourishing, especially in VA and NC, there is a strong group of leaders emerging who are not afraid to speak to their stands on issues or theology. I see a greater avoidance of stronger leadership in places like GA and TX, where there are more dually aligned churches. The situation is not the same as it was in 1991, and those who understand this welcome the evolution of CBF. A few weeks before he died, I was with Cecil Sherman who said then, "CBF is waiting for the emergence of its next strong leader." Gushee is simply following up on what Sherman said.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:32 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:39 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:08 am

You guys are closer but I'd have to ask exactly what DV did in the way of strong leadership.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:44 pm

Gold star, Sandy.

I'm curious. Since you knew chafin somewhat what do you make of his gaffe (if that is what it was) on Donahue way back when?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:05 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:09 pm

I perceive Dan Vestal much more as one who tried to establish firm foundations for the future of CBF. He was in the mold much more of "servant leadership" than ever in the mold of charismatic leadership. He was not the high profile lightning rod that Sherman was. I am anxious to see how our new leader does in her role, but I like what I have seen to this point.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:27 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 pm

Sandy, I know you will cheerlead for CBF's failure, and that's okay if you want to. One of the biggest initiatives I see right now is the investment into young leaders. The investment in money and in teaching and conference time with younger leaders is already beginning to pay dividends. My son is in the program now. A successor of mine in a church is a person who has developed out of the program. I think that is one of the great stories right now for CBF.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:29 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:46 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Next

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum