[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Min Wage Hikes

Min Wage Hikes

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Min Wage Hikes

Postby KeithE » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Min Wage Hikes

Postby ET » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:23 am

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Sandy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:28 pm

I find it interesting that conservatives are opposed to increasing the minimum wage because of what it will do to small business, while some of their business icons pay salaries above the minimum wage because they've discovered, by their own admission, they get more out of their employees. Interesting, too, is the fact that these are all hugely profitable businesses, and they are competitive in their respective fields in terms of prices for goods and services.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:07 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Sandy

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:18 am

:-x You said it, Sandy. I don't appreciate one bit the squalor imposed on my neighborhood by absentee landlords and banks who foreclose on properties who don't give a rat's patootie that property they own and don't do a thing to improve becomes an eyesore and a health hazard when it gets broken into and used as a drug house and or a private dump site when there are honest hard working people forced to live in their cars if they are lucky enough to own one. I ride up I-5 through one of the more vibrant, beautiful and prosperous cities in the nation and at the same time see hundreds of tents erected in the wooded areas and under overpasses along the freeway by folks who have run out of options. There is something horribly wrong with this picture.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby KeithE » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:35 am

We will see if Seattle's economy falls apart and whether or not their unemployment increases. Give it 3 months so as to remove the political reactionaries. Keep us informed Mrs. and Mr. Haruo.

Update: I guess it will not be implemented very quickly - 3 years before "many large businesses" must comply and 7 years before "all businesses" must comply according to:

I suspect much debate and behind the scenes wrangling over this.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Since I am currently making ten-something an hour (except when I work a paid holiday, which more than doubles my rate per hour), this new ordinance will undoubtedly have an effect on my income as it comes into full effect. It will probably have a net positive effect for me, but how it will play out countywide I have no idea. I say countywide because although it only affects employers in the city of Seattle, it will affect employees and job-seekers throughout the county (and, to a smaller extent, beyond).
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:33 pm

Not directed at you Haruo...just a general statement - an industrious teenager or other worker could offer to work for $10 or $12/hr for cash after this takes effect and make a nice bit of money for the next Xbox or iPhone. :)
ET

Postby Mrs Haruo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:38 am

Most teenagers that I know of that are able to find a job are helping to support their families. Buying school clothes their parents cant afford, and saving for college.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby ET » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:30 pm

The majority of teenage min wage workers are suburban middle class per U.S. Labor Dept stats.
ET

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:50 pm

ET, out of curiosity, what percentage of minimum wage workers are adults?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby ET » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Dave, I posted that info in another thread on this topic. I'll see if I can find it and link or repost.
ET

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:03 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:10 am

I don't think Seattle's economy will fall apart because of a $15 minimum wage. An established business with a strong customer base isn't going to move away over a few thousand dollars in expenses. More money will enter the economy, and that will boost business, not kill it. In Canada, where the provinces set their own minimum wage, the highest levels of economic prosperity, and business profit, is in the provinces with the highest minimum wages.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:01 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:12 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:08 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:39 pm

ET

Postby ET » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:40 pm

ET

Re: Min wage stats

Postby ET » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:05 pm

ET

Postby Haruo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:46 pm

Overall, minimum wage workers may only constitute 2.9% of workers, but my guess is that in Seattle the percentage that earn less than $15/hr. is quite a bit higher than that.

BTW, if a particular worker works three part-time jobs, two of them for the minimum, 15 hours a week each, and one for 15¢ above the minimum, 12 hours a week, how many minimum-wage workers does she count as for the purposes of these statistics? And how do we tell which of the rates she should get the two hours of overtime on? (Assuming a slightly fairer world.)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:02 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:08 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:42 pm

ET

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues