[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - TV Stars at 1967 SBC in Miami

TV Stars at 1967 SBC in Miami

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

TV Stars at 1967 SBC in Miami

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:28 pm

I was there and saw Billy Graham and Anita Bryant. But there was a pretty famous, mostly western star there that year. I remembered his name one day last year but can't call it now. I think he later fell from Grace.

Does anybody remember?
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: TV Stars at 1967 SBC in Miami

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:43 pm

Roy Rogers?
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby David Flick » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:54 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:50 am

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:12 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:04 am

Lash LaRue, Yosemite Sam, Kid Shaleen, Clint Eastwood, Woody, Annie Oakley, Bret Maverick. Festus, Cisco Kid...?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:42 am

Deputy Dog, Pecos Bill...?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:23 pm

You'd think that with the help of four of the best and brightest BL.Commoners, El Foxo would let us know something. I mean, like, with him being the world's #1 name-dropper and can't remember the name of a single, solitary silver-screen cowboy! Reckon part of his tagline ("I'm the only sane {person} in here.") must be a tad off the mark... :lol:
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:04 pm

OK, it was surely Pistol Pete!
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:39 am

Not Ronnie Raygun?!
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:38 am

"Marshall Dillon! Sounds like someone's faunchin and bellerin and having conniption fits over at the Long Branch! We'd better git over there and give Miss Kitty a hand!"

What about Pa Cartwright? Lorne Green was always a handsome sort, same with his boys. Back when I took a break from algebra homework to watch the action on Bonanza, , I liked to dream about riding with Hoss into the hills for a nice picnic lunch that I had made with Hop Sing. :D
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:06 am

Must be someone who was conspiring with Billy Graham to subvert freedom and democracy, or was involved with W.A. Criswell in the Kennedy Assassination. Perhaps Stephen could ask Marshall Frady or Randall Balmer, or Kate Campbell who it was and engage them in a discussion over the political correctness of television. :wink:
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:15 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Being I was firmly loyal to Sunkist, who my favorite aunt and cousin grew citrus for in the Bible Belt of California, and I thought Anita Bryant ranked right in there with Sarah Palin as being those who pontificate on subjects they are woefully ignorant about, Uncle Chunk and I boycotted Florida orange juice. Hopalong Cassidy was on the local milk cartons however. Not as a missing person, but as "Hoppy's Favorite Brand of Milk". That milk company hadn't re-designed the labels since I was a baby. Even Aunt Tyra wondered if any kids knew who Hoppy was, and she watched him on the Saturday matinees at the local theater--which banned "Grapes of Wrath" because it stepped on too many local toes. Feelings ran high between Fresno and Bakersfield. And I have shaken Bill Gothard's hand (and washed it many times since, cleaned dirty magazines of the catacombs of the State Capitol Building in Olympia, and body surfed at Pensacola Beach in January. Now I am really getting Foxy :lol:
Mrs Haruo

Gregory Wolcott

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:28 pm

60's tv star. He was there. I saw him and Billy Graham.

Disappointed in Flick and Thornton, and Lee Saunders comment was kinda snarky but I went to a baptism yesterday, distant extended family of Wilmer C Fields and tryin to rise above it.

See Collinsville history for more on the Baptism and some Baylor connections.

One of the worst days for bl.com. Nobody got close. I had a memory lapse but it had come to me couple years ago and I knew just a matter of time.......Aretha Franklin was having a big year in 67 I remember. That story next time!

Stephen Fox

From Wendell, N.C.; was in Norma Rae

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:33 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Walcott

I am a huge fan of the movie Norma Rae but it never registered with me he was in that film. He had a pretty slinky scene in Prime Cut best I remember. Whether his NC roots registered George W. Truett with him whose to say as Truett didn't make a very big impression on Billy Graham; or Sandy, FBC Spartanburg for that matter!

Stephen Fox

And Flick

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Let this be a reminder: "I play cards with JD Shellnutt, chief uh Pohleeze!"
:brick: :brick: :gavel: :gavel: :gavel: :gavel: :wave: :wave: :wall: :thumb: :thumb:

Stephen Fox

Re: And Flick

Postby David Flick » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:58 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Who ever wrote that article said "Mr Roberts, a war themed film" MR ROBERTS is one of the greatest books ever written about the tedium of behind the lines naval service in my mind. It also has slapstick humor and several plots going on at once. I read it several times in from Junior High on-- it was one of the old paperbacks my older brother left behind. :lol:
Mrs Haruo

Gregory Walcott

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Starred as Bill Wallace of China, from Wendell North Carolina. Good friend of Clint Eastwood at one stage of his career.
Interesting wiki page. Named had escaped me but reminded today.

Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends