[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SBC Military Chaplains

SBC Military Chaplains

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: SBC Military Chaplains

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:15 pm

My heart goes out to the chaplains who are caught in this Catch 22.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:49 pm

There are a lot of Southern Baptist chaplains in the military, and few places where they would encounter the things that NAMB wants them to avoid. I doubt that this is going to create much of a problem. It would be up to the ranking chaplain to determine what a specific chaplain would or would not have to do, and many of them are either Southern Baptist, or from a denomination that shares the SBC's Biblical perspective on homosexuality. And I think that most of those in authority, whether they agree with the SBC position or not, would be inclined to make the necessary arrangements to avoid putting the chaplains in a catch 22.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:46 am

Most of my experiences with chaplains has been that they are much less denominational in their concerns than they are simply concerned for the people with whom they work. I hope there will be few conflicts. NAMB just seems to have overstressed the obvious.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:44 pm

I would think that the NAMB "guideline" prohibiting a chaplain from conducting a service with a chaplain/contractor/volunteer who is gay OR affirms same-sex relationships could be problematic. I'm sure there are instances in which a Protestant chaplain would need to work in some capacity with another Protestant chaplain, possibly a mainline Protestant with a differing view on homosexuality.

Of course, it's worth remembering that the government (not churches) pays for the salary of chaplains.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:47 pm

I think it would be a rare occasion in the military chaplaincy to encounter a situation in which a chaplain would be required to work with another chaplain who came from a welcoming and affirming denomination or one that was favorable to same-sex relationships. First of all, I doubt that there would be very many situations in which the subject would be involved in some kind of service, and second, looking at the numbers of chaplains that are Southern Baptist, or come from a denomination that would share similar perspectives on same-sex marriage or on homosexuality in general, I doubt that arrangements couldn't be made to avoid that having to happen. There are few chaplains in the military from the few denominations that approve of same-sex marriage, or which are "welcoming and affirming." And the percentage of chaplains who would be in the commanding offices who are Southern Baptists, or who are from other denominations who share similar views, is at least as high as the rest of the chaplaincy. I don't think it would be a problem for assignments to be made which keep chaplains of any denominational background from having to violate their convictions.

I'll have to double check to make certain, but I believe that Southern Baptist chaplains are paid by NAMB. I lived adjacent to Ft. Huachuca, Arizona for years, and we frequently had a chaplain whose local church membership was at my home church, and they were under NAMB appointment, with a home missionary designation, and are part of that pay structure.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:18 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 am

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/fait ... bc538.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/12/natio ... nted=print

Not sure I would agree that the military is only 3% Southern Baptist and Evangelical, given their numbers among the Protestant Christian community at large. The article cites "self-identification" as the source, but they represent a much higher percentage of Protestant Christians than that.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:54 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 am

Ed: I would like to see the form on which Military personnel self identify as to religious preference. Decades, really more than a half century ago (1953), our official choices where Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Other, or None, with no place to define other. The choice was stamped on your dog tags, with a single letter C,P,J,O,N. Later, but still in the fifties, Baptist claiming not to be Protestant, lobbied for and did gain a spot on the list,identified with a B. I have an idea that the figures here come form some independent survey.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:27 am

I don't think that entering military chaplaincy means that you surrender your religious freedom. Most chaplains that I've met and known, especially those who are Southern Baptist, have a very clear understanding of their role and have a high level of respect for differences in Christian traditions. But I think you can do that, and not be put in a position to compromise your convictions. If the article in the Post-Dispatch is accurate, the number of chaplains serving from the few denominations which endorse same-sex marriages, and which are welcoming and affirming on the issue of homosexuality is extremely small, as would be the number of military personnel asking for such services from their chaplains.

It becomes a controversy, as it most usually does, because the small minority of pro-gay activists can't tolerate people who don't see things their way, and so they make an issue out of it, either to force their will, or to create such a stir that the ability of those who hold a different view to minister in the situation is impaired, or eliminated.
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:09 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby johnfariss » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:31 pm

johnfariss

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:34 pm

No endorsing body pays military chaplains. They are on the military payroll.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:20 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:40 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:29 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:25 am

When our pastor, Dr. Judy Gay, started back to seminary after retiring from a long career in special education and educational administration, it was with the intention of working in chaplaincy. She was not initially comfortable with the pastorate for women, although she had felt a calling to preach since childhood. I know she worked for awhile as a chaplain ("spiritual care provider", the term is there) at Harborview Hospital: . But I don't know whether, how much, or by whom she was paid during that part of her professional life.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Why chaplains at all? Seems to me that the goal of the military and the goal of most religions are antithetical to one another.
Jerry_B

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:57 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Well, specifically I guess, the killing of people.
Jerry_B

Postby Haruo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah, if that is the goal then you're probably right. But my understanding is that the military views killing people not as the goal but as a means to the establishment and maintenance of peace, and since they are all (with a tip of the hat to William) Marxists anyway, to whom ends justify means, they kill people merely as a stepping stone to a better life for all who are left.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Jerry_B » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:04 pm

So what is the goal then if not killing people?
Jerry_B

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Ed Pettibone

PreviousNext

Return to SBC News and Trends