[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Is the SBC to declare war on contraceptives?

Is the SBC to declare war on contraceptives?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Is the SBC to declare war on contraceptives?

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:00 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: SBC Contraceptive Doctrine

Postby William Thornton » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Stephen, if "SBC" is in the title, maybe the SBC Forum is the proper spot for it.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Is the SBC to declare war on contraceptives?

Postby William Thornton » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:07 pm

The quiver full crowd is present in the SBC (and has been for decades, I knew some QF folks in the 1980s) and it has tentacles among some Calvinists but overall is not widespread and I don't see much to worry about here. I'm not impressed with the PhD candidate who wrote this piece or his speculations. I grant that ABP likes this sort of stuff occasionally.

Low birth rates are a problem and a legitimate subject for examination. Procreation is a thoroughly Biblical concept, duh, and there should be some consideration and evaluation of contemporary lifestyles that exclude children.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:11 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:28 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:42 am

As a young person, I'd like to share that my personal experience is that Pope John Paul II's Theology of the Body is catching on among younger conservative Christians (including non-Catholics), but I've never met anyone that has bought into the Quiverfull movement. I've had many married friends decide that if they were going to use any birth control they'd only use Natural Family Planning.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby ET » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:28 am

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Ed; ET, When you say "Things like social security here and in other parts of the world depend on a high payer-to-consumer ratio....we've gone from 14-to-1 to 2.5 or 3-to-1 in the last 70s years. What does the (1) represent. and where are you getting you figures?

But moving on, what biblical mandates for large families do you find other than be fruitful and multiply? Of course that one was given when there where only two people on the face of the earth. :)
Ed Pettibone

Postby ET » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:16 pm

ET

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:48 am

ET writes in part " Al Mohler had a good "food for thought" commentary some time back on the issue. I'll see if I can dig that up."

Ed: So why do Al and Mary not practice what he preaches, I'm sure Kati and Mathew would have welcomed a few more siblings.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:19 am

Something my Dad used to say--and it applied to livestock as well as children "If you can't feed them, don't breed them."
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:26 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:44 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:31 am

The simple answer is to double the cap on the payroll tax, but get a Congressman to even talk about it--NO WAY.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:06 pm

ET

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:02 pm

This becomes a sensitive subject for many of us. Personally, my wife and I wish it had been possible to have more children, but our son was, as one doctor said, a "biological improbability." We are thankful to have him. The danger here is that involuntarily childless couples or those who after genetic counseling are told they should not reproduce who come to church and get a dose of guilt. Check and see how many childless couples are missing from your churches on Mother's Day and Father's Day because they can't take the inherent message of the day that there is something wrong with them.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:24 am

Like most issues, this one is going to have varied opinions among Christians, including Southern Baptists. I don't think the SBC is trying to do what Stephen wants to accuse them of doing, and in fact, if Mohler can be considered a source, it looks like they leave the issue up to individuals and churches. Gee, that sounds characteristically like something a bunch of Baptists would do. Imagine that.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:51 am

The real issue here is that Baptists, like many other groups, are not having enough babies to fill the nurseries and children's departments nor to keep the waters of the baptisteries stirred on a regular basis. Baptist growth, at its highest point, was in part the result of the post World War II baby boom. Part of the decline is simply that there are not babies rushing through these days.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Economic Sidebar - Answering Haruo

Postby KeithE » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:58 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:47 am

ET

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Ed: And around and around we go! We had essentially the same discussion from April through
Mid July of 2010. Aaron Weaver and D. Flick where also involved in that one.
Ed Pettibone

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends