[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Resolution of SBC on Boy Scouts

Resolution of SBC on Boy Scouts

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Resolution of SBC on Boy Scouts

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:03 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Resolution of SBC on Boy Scouts

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:37 am

My question in all this is, "When did Boy Scouts start checking sexual orientation when boys enroll in scouting?" I worked in scouting in the past, and frankly, a lot of 11-year-olds didn't know what a sexual orientation was. I really don't think the policy changes anything. There has never been anything on the form to enroll about sexual orientation--maybe on the adult leader's form, but not on the boys' forms.

Actually, the resolution really doesn't say a lot. The committee seemed to try to say as little as possible.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:26 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:55 am

Russ Moore's statement that "... the Boy Scouts previously had an understanding of sexuality that was geared toward expression in marriage" seems to me to muddy the waters further, and especially so in a culture where the genders of marriage partners is undergoing redefinition. To the extent that his statement is true, it seems the new policy may help as much as hinder that understanding. (But not in a way he would approve of.) But I don't think "marriage" has been any more part of Scouting for Boys' Weltanschauung than "gender identity or perceived sexual orientation" has been.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:49 pm

The genders of marriage partners in the culture may be undergoing revision, but the Biblical, Christian perspective of it is not. And that does have an effect on Southern Baptist churches that sponsor Boy Scout troops, when the parent organization endorses a position that isn't consistent with that of the church.

I think this resolution goes a long way toward recognizing that some churches will decide they can no longer support having a Boy Scout troop, while others will continue and take a position of opposition to the policy based on the Biblical text.

It's not quite what the SBC's critics and bashers were expecting.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:44 am

But the Boy Scouts are not a "Biblical, Christian" outfit. Even when I was a scout (mid-1960s) you could get a God & Country badge in a number of non-Christian religions (even at least one, Buddhism, that is non- if not necessarily exactly anti- theistic). And even among "Christian" sponsoring groups the largest is the not exactly Biblical LDS, whose position on the definition of marriage is most notoriously subject to change.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:07 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:54 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:23 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:10 pm

I think there is a big misunderstanding on what possession of a BSA charter by a church means. It does not mean that the church gets to decide the rules for BSA. BSA is a separate organization which has its own rules that you agree to follow when you accept one of their charters.

I know many churches help get leadership for BSA, that many troops that meet in churches get a lot of their leadership from the sponsoring church. But that does not mean that the Troop or the BSA live under the rules of that local church or that the Boy Scout program is synonymous with a program of the church.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:26 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:46 am

Sandy

Return to SBC News and Trends