[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - ABP Story on Chic Fil A

ABP Story on Chic Fil A

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

ABP Story on Chic Fil A

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:23 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: ABP Story on Chic Fil A

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:48 pm

I affirm the good work that the Cathy family has done. And they've done great work especially helping troubled boys and girls. The boys home in my hometown - Paul Anderson Youth Home - has several buildings named after the Cathy family. Truett Cathy - or Uncle Truett as the "boys" there know him - has supported that youth home since the late Olympian (former "World's Strongest Man") Paul Anderson started it decades ago.

Lots of other great charitable works too. I've also always heard that Chick-fil-A pays its employees better than other competitors. I don't know if this is true or not.

However, I don't affirm how the Cathy family has directed their corporation to donate large amounts of money to support certain organizations like Family Research Council - an organization that does much more harm than good, IMO.

I also affirm the freedom of folks to refrain from eating Cathy's delicious chicken treats.

That said, I eat at Chick-fil-A at least once a week, generally Saturday lunch at the Waco location.

I think this emerging controversy does give us Baptist moderates and progressives a good opportunity to talk about stuff like corporate responsibility and socially and ethically responsible investments. We Baptists from the South don't chat much about that. Although, American Baptists were very involved in the corporate responsibility movement in past decades. Most recently, PC-USA had a big debate about investing in businesses in Israel like Caterpillar (big Caterpillar location here in Waco)
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:18 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:37 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Ed I believe that study is disputed by other studies. But be that as it may, I don't want to get off the topic of the FRC. The FRC is just one several conservative Christian organizations that has gotten heavily involved in politics and wants to make abortion, gay marriage, and a few other issues the main reasons to vote Republican or Democrat. It is a very narrow focus for political choice and it honestly bothers me. I've met a few people who would vote for Satan himself if they thought he'd vote the way they believe on abortion or homosexuality even if the candidate is a lousy Presidential choice.

It is funny how Sandy and I agree and disagree depending on if it is politics or theology. Friend Sandy I still have a heck of a time figuring how you fit your viewpoints together. But that is your choice.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Ed I'm not going to go dig up the studies because if there is one thing I'm avoiding discussing with you it is homosexuality. Frankly I think you are near rabid about the issue and I have no intention going around and around that subject again with you.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:04 pm

"Harmful" isn't the word I would choose to describe the Family Research Council. There are some positions they take that I support, or at least, agree with, others I don't. But as far as boycotting a business that contributes to them, I'm not going to do that. I don't support the Mormons, but if a Marriott hotel gives me the best rate, I'm not going to Hilton across the street.

I support businesses for very simple reasons. They have a product I need or a service I need and the price is right. There are thousands of stories circulating about what someone who owns stock in some business does with his profits. That's their choice. I'm not going to punish myself by paying a higher price, or getting less service just because of the political inclinations of people who may own a share of the business. Not all of the information out there is accurate, anyway. I remember a few years back a rumor circulating that McDonald's gave a portion of its profits to the Church of Satan. They had trouble squelching it, and it cost them a lot, even though it wasn't true. There are too many causes and agendas to keep up with and be consistent.

Truett Cathy is a great example for other businesses, proof that you can do business ethically, and without profiteering, and still make a reasonable profit.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:35 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:34 am

I generally am not that big on boycotts either Sandy. But I'm just too uncomfortable with his political spending to want to contribute to his coffers for the sake of a chicken sandwich. Just the idea now of eating his product takes away my appetite. So he has lost me as a customer, boycott or no boycott. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the food. And that is why you buy the food right?

Sure he has the right to spend his money how ever he wants. And if his product was something I really needed to survive and couldn't get elsewhere I'd have an ethical dilemma to deal with. Well I don't need a chicken sandwich. So this is a case of me simply choosing to buy a chicken sandwich from one of numerous other vendors if I want one. Given what he sells it isn't even an inconvenience for me not to buy his product. And that is a problem for his business in the long run. No one needs Chic Fil A.

Business people who are running a business which basically provides something none of us really need ought to think twice about the ramifications of political involvement in hot button issues that really have nothing to do with their business. Maybe Cathy is willing to lose money on this deal, again his choice. But IMHO it isn't very good business to PO a group of your customers when you are already basically selling a "luxury item."
Last edited by Tim Bonney on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:38 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:12 am

Ed's right here. "Profiteer" means to make objectionably excessive profits, not to make a profit.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:03 pm

I take you guy's point on the def. of profiteer although I would generally reject the concept that any market where there is a willing seller and buyer that profiteering can exist. I certainly reject the assertion of profiteering by health insurance providers. Their margin is not excessive.

have you checked the margin on software?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:31 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:57 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:27 am

Just wanted to add that Timothy Daily - who wrote the homosexuality links to pedophilla "studies" - has long served FRC as a staff member, research fellow, etc. His research is funded by FRC and friends of FRC. He's not in the business of doing peer-reviewed research.

His findings have been widely critiqued from the left and right especially with regard to his methodology. That particular study is not taken seriously by anyone including conservative evangelicals who study same-sex relationships, etc.

I don't want to debate that. It's a waste of time.

There are many conservative Christian groups out there that deal with "family" and "marriage" issues. Most don't have the reputation of FRC which this year alone has given an award to an incredibly vile anti-gay pastor (conservative evangelicals ) and hired as their Exec Vice-President a controversial figure that believes Muslims shouldn't enjoy religious freedom. That selection too has been criticized by conservative evangelicals, .
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:38 am

As usual BDW your posts are well said and well researched. You pointed to a lot of information I remember reading but didn't have the sources at hand.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:48 am

You know, a much wider discussion than the Chic Fil A story might be, "When should businesses get involved in political issues outside of business practices and law?"

Businesses are in business to make money. As far as product goes, I think Chi Fil A has a good product. I've thought it was several steps above what you get from similar vendors. But in taking sides in the culture wars the owner was bound to make someone mad on either side of the argument and negatively effect his business.

To me the way to get a handle on this kind of thing is to go back to some sensible laws on financial contributions to politics, political agendas, and candidates. Right now the sky is the limit and if you are rich enough you can flood the airwaves with your viewpoint. Is that fair? Basically money has been ruled to be speech in our society. How is this fair in a democracy?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Chic Fil A and styrofoam cups

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:27 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:43 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends