[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Great Commision Baptists -- What's that?

Great Commision Baptists -- What's that?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Great Commision Baptists -- What's that?

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:42 am

Today's newspaper says the SBC "has narrowly agreed to let churches use an alternative name less connected to the South"....will "allow affiliated churches to refer to themselves as Great Commission Baptists".

I'm assuming this isn't a "new denomination" nor is it a new "direction"; but is an alternate name for an old product. Churches still wishing to call themselves "Southern Baptist" can do so? ? ? :?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Great Commision Baptists -- What's that?

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:47 am

I think this sheds some light. Churches that are afraid to call themselves "Southern Baptist" (we have several in my city and adjacent city), now can use a "disguise". The disguise is not mandatory for everyone.

http://www.baptist2baptist.net/sbcnamec ... ctions.asp
Chris

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:57 am

[quote="Chris"]Today's newspaper says the SBC "has narrowly agreed to let churches use an alternative name less connected to the South"....will "allow affiliated churches to refer to themselves as Great Commission Baptists".

Ed: As if other Baptist are not Great Commission Baptist. :brick:
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:11 pm

In the West we have Best Foods Mayonnaise; in the East they have Hellman's Mayonnaise. Same product, same company, same label color scheme.
best foods mayonnaise.jpg
best foods mayonnaise.jpg (16.63 KiB) Viewed 4092 times
hellmans.jpg
hellmans.jpg (3.44 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:20 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Ed: I prefer home made Mayo and with churches My preference is ABC-USA and as most here are aware, we also participate in the CBF.

And William, did you deliberately misspell the first name of "Anonymous" ? :wink: Of course that jle was a bit of a tip off to his identity.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:07 am

The name "Great Commission Baptists" is a little bit more descriptive than "Converge Worldwide," which the Baptist General Conference adopted recently. In fact, they did change their name completely, without the option of "voluntary." Great Commission Baptists isn't a complete shift, since it doesn't leave the Baptist name behind.

Hiding behind a different name is certainly not a trend only being experienced by Southern Baptists. Western Pennsylvania is full of churches of various names without denominational identification, yet most of them are affiliated with someone. Unless you can identify a logo, or you ask, you can't tell (unless they're Charismatic).
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:21 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:50 am

I began noticing , 45 years ago, that Catholics and Episcopalians usually did not include those words in the names of their churches, e.g. "Christ and St. Luke's Church" of Norfolk. It seemed to me that all other denominations DID include the denomination name, so that a visitor could see the
brand name" out front. I liked this. About 7 or 8 years ago, I began to see churches in our local Baptist association popping up with names like "Community Church", and, more recently "Waters Edge Church". All of these were Southern Baptist churches which apparently do not want the visitor to know of the SBC affiliation. What is it they are ashamed of?

Waters Edge church is not near the water...so even that is a misnomer.
Chris

Postby Sandy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:50 am

Sandy

Postby johnfariss » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:14 pm

There is a church a few miles from me named, I think, "River's Edge" or "River's View," something like that. They are probably 30 miles from the Potomac River and 10 or 15 from the Patuxent, but there is a little branch, maybe 2 or 3 feet wide, within view of them.

Of course, Baptist churches without "Baptist" in the name are not new. The previous name of the first church I served was "Tanner's Meeting House," and they founded "Brown's Meeting House" and another one whose name I cannot recall just now, similiarly named for the first pastor. Tanner's renamed itself Warren Plains Baptist Church only in the 1870s, and that was after they moved from out in the woods to the rail junction serving the town of Warrenton, NC. Brown's still goes by that name, or did the last time I was there, in the late 80s. All these date to the late 1700s and early 1800s. An earlier genration of Baptist churches in eastern North Carolina were usually named by the closest body of water, such as Reedy Creek or Yellowjacket Creek, but again, that was followed by "Meeting House" and not "Baptist Church." I believe it was only when the social status of Baptist churches started to grow, and they moved into actual towns and cities that they began to name themselves "Baptist Churches" and not just "meeting houses."

John Fariss
johnfariss

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Chris

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:01 pm

It was used in 18th and early 19th century Baptists with some frequency.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends