[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Richard Land, Plagiarist

Richard Land, Plagiarist

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Richard Land, Plagiarist

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:02 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:41 am

Far from such in both our minds----not sure if he sees it that way though!!!!

Pontifications of the past seem to put him just short of the Pope! :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby David Montoya » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:00 am

While teaching theology at Criswell College Land read (word for word) "Lectures in Systematic Theology" by Henry Thiessen as if it were his own lecture without giving credit. He also had a class called Cultural Milieu in which he read Stott's book "Your Mind Matters" (again word for word) as his own work without giving credit. This was common knowledge among many of his students.

I would love to get a copy of his dissertation and check it.
David Montoya

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:23 am

Holy Geshitka!!!!! :horse:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:33 am

Richard Land's latest attempt to gain some favor and forgiveness:

I find it another "blame someone else" kind of attempt.

His SBC buddies are strangely quiet these days and I bet his phone lines are hot with advice though. What might they be saying and hoping because this hot potatoe is growing more volitile in the eyes of the publics.

Meanwhile, "The Tennessean" is giving a public poll opportunity drawing interesting comments:

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Louisville's Courier-Journal has the same info on Land --- but here is a page covering many pontifications over recent years from our SBC "good old boy:"

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Sandy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:50 pm

This would be a good separate topic but I'm not sure what success in African-American relations would look like for the SBC. I look at the CBF and don't see a lot that looks different.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:41 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:55 pm

William is right about this getting way off topic, but I'll throw in my 2 cents and let him move it all to a new topic if he chooses.

Until we see mixed marriages with bi-racial children fully accepted and welcomed into our churches in leadership roles, I don't think we'll know that we've accepted our black brothers and sisters as equals in every way.

Or to quote a common sentiment I've heard among whites: "I don't have anything against black people. I just wouldn't want my child to marry one." This is still true among younger people here in the south. I can't speak for the rest of the country.

I hasten to add I've seen a similar attitudes among some black folks, but I was surprised to find they seemed to be OK with one type of intermarriage--I can't recall whether it was OK for a black man to marry a white woman or the other way around. This came out in an interracial discussion among college students at a conference several years ago, so their feelings might have changed since then. Since it was among students, not adults, I'm not sure the next generation is ready yet either.

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:51 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

SBC Voices and Criswell

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Gene:

Here is the definitive story on Criswell, 56 at SC pastor's conference. Randally Lolley's hero Stewart Newman was first to tell me, in the presence of my Dad at Shoney's in Gaffney, S.C. 1977
http://jsr.fsu.edu/Volume10/Freeman.pdf

I think Aaron Weaver is still in good graces at SBC Voices where you and me are non compass Mentis. Maybe Aaron will take a little truth tellin there, not only about Criswell, but Helms and Pressler and Albert Lee Smith.

Now is good time for some truth tellin; and Bryant Wright and Jim Henry ought to help
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Just checked it and Curtis Freeman, my friend at Duke, is the author = totally accurate and hard to dispute!!! :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

SBC Voices asks another question

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:07 pm

http://sbcvoices.com/whats-wrong-with-t ... +Voices%29

Maybe nobody is reading Giberson and Stephens The Anointed in that Camp
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:37 pm

Ed: Gene when you write "Are those same black ministers seeing through the ploy and finding themselves used again for growth in numbers rather than real change in attitude?"

What "same black ministers" are you referring to? And of time period(s) are you talking. When I was at SBTS 90 - 92 and Trudy with me tagging along 95-98 we knew many younger students who could not comprehend the racial attitude of even their own fathers and grandfathers generation. Even many of those who where fundamentalist and more so as one moved to the center of the theological spectrum. Some of them are seen in today's bloggers who dare challenge the current leadership on some issues.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:37 am

I am talking of any current black congregation now entertaining the thought of joining the SBC and any black pastors hoping to find a genuine place of acceptance among the elected ranks.

I am a true son of the South with all the prejudices attached---although under control and not to be publically stated. Down here in Bath, NC, we have genuine respect between the races. One of my best friends is a black guy who works for me and has great quality. We talk as brothers in Christ with no color attached.

Richard Land is the same, but has lost control of his tongue in a hostile time.

He obviously does not have the good sense to take off his Republican suspenders nor keep his mouth shut before he incites a riot when the SBC is pretending to accept black congregations.

He is a greater liability than asset and a public action from the SBC is required, like it or not!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:37 am

Ed---

Our biggest problem now in the South is people who use race to advance some political agenda.

With whites, it is the Tea Party. With blacks, it is maximizing government programs for sustinance.

I used to coffee at a Hardee's in Rocky Mount. That town, years ago, distinguished itself with equal parks and other things between the black and white sides of town. The major rail for CSX divides the town and also Edgecombe and Nash Counties. In the 60's, more blacks were on the Edgecombe side and whites on the Nash side. That has changed in the last 20 years and blacks are all over.

However, the Edgecombe side has the hood and it has become crime and drug filled as the economy has taken almost all the industry from Rocky Mount. Most interesting is how black citizens at Hardee's would express their disgust at their side sucking on welfare and refusing to work. Many or them were having to sleep in bath tubs to protect against bullets whizzing through their houses as gangs banged.

Too often, both white and black sides of the equation do not see the value of just being respectful friends despite the color with which you were born. Rocky Mount is now more racially divided than ever over a few City Politicians using race for position.

Down here in little Bath, I detect no such rampant racism. Beaufort County is fairly peaceful with a reasonable degree of crime. Next county over, Pitt, is full of drugs and crime like Rocky Mount. It is more prosperous due to the presence of East Carolina University and the big Medical Center. It is more diversified with industry, but not so divided politically as is Rocky Mount. Their crime issue is most similar and---sad to say---far more crime is perpetuated in the black community and much of it is black on black. A shooting a day is the norm in both Greenville and Rocky Mount.

Each place has it's flavor. The part which is notable is when race is set aside and people do as they please without worrying about the color of their friendships. :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:18 am

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:33 am

Ed---

Not sure what you are trying to say beyond "I am wrong" and you want to skew my statement to make it appear so.

I said what I observed and you don't live here. You did a lot of research to say basicallly NOTHING.

Use your time more wisely or just state what is going on where you live---that would be a wise response that means something! :)

This last section is so far away from the subject as to be rediculous! :lol:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:59 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Ed: In a previous post G. Scarborough suggested that I "Use your time more wisely or just state what is going on where you live ---that would be a wise response that means something!" I am not sure what it has to do with the current thread but as I said when Gene opens a door I am generally glad to walk through it. And this turns out to be a great day for Gene to ask about this area . The Headline in this morning's Daily Gazette reads "Waterway to open early for historic aircraft. " The Eire canal is closed to to boat traffic in the winter and usually opens on 4/1, but this year it is opening today to accommodate barges bringing three historic aircraft to the Empire State Aerosciences Museum in Glenville (about 4.5 miles down the road St Rt 50 from Burnt Hills).

The three planes are A MIG 15, A Supemarine Scimitar and A Douglas F3D-2 Skyknight which is returning to its home base where it was used in the development of key radar components out of the General Electric Flight Center at Glenville. For the folk a Burnt Hills Baptist church this may be a bit bitter sweet as it is nearly year to late for two gentlemen from our church who had been engineers on that project, however both have passed away in the last year and Trudy did their funerals.

The three planes have been moved here from the Air and Space Museum in NYC to make room at that facility for the Space Shuttle Enterprise which was flown into NY yesterday riding piggy back on a modified Jumbo Jet. You may have seen that on one of the network news shows last evening the three big networks all had stories about it.

To avoid a charge of plagiarism let it be known. Most of this info comes from two stories in this Schenectady Daily Gazette this morning.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Another distraction, Ed!!! :brick:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

PreviousNext

Return to SBC News and Trends