[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - How does a non-creedal people set parameters

How does a non-creedal people set parameters

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Re: How does a non-creedal people set parameters

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:45 am

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:05 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:30 am

Last edited by Tim Bonney on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Re: For information only

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:09 am

A lengthy list of websites which may or may not inform this discussion

http://www.creeds.net/
Ed Pettibone

Re: For information only

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:57 am

Lots of good stuff in that Creeds link, but I note that its only SBC link is 1963.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:08 pm

Also, under the Apostles Creed, I note this confusing pair of statements: "The Symbolum Apostolorum was developed between the second and ninth centuries. ... The current form is first found in the writings of Caesarius of Arles (d 542)." So if the current form is found in the sixth century, what sort of "developments" were introduced in the next three centuries?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Hauro, that would be interesting research!

Ed, I've yet to see you post your ideas on bounderies/perimeters. I am guessing you and I may be closer on this issue then we were when I was a Baptist since I now support the idea of bounderies more than I used to. But I'd like to hear your take.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Ed: Tim did you see where I wrote I support your reply to Bruce on his question about Jesus setting Parameters. In that one you came very close to my position on this subject. But note a perimeter is not always a circle. Only in the ABC_USA would this be questionable. Can tell you haven't been gone long. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Ed: Tim, in your post just above you gives us a lot of good ideas to chew on but right now I am in the middle of some thing related but not directly.

But while I am taking a break let me say i think you missed the point of my friendly "Only in the ABC_USA would this be questionable. Can tell you haven't been gone long. :lol: :lol: :lol:" jibe. Think about your "circle" comment, and Then Valley Forge. :) :) :)

Keep an eye open for a new thread here on the ABC forum Titled, Do we really want to do this? BTW how is your blood pressure? Right now mine is high and it usually runs low.
Ed Pettibone

Perimeters and Parameters

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:29 pm

"" and "" are two entirely different words. Please check which one you're talking about (all of you) and let the rest of us know. It's like "" vs. "", or "" vs. "", or "there" vs. "their" vs. "they're", or "to" vs. "too" vs. "two". It's English, folks!! Spellcheck will not help, you have to know the English language (which consists of a whole lot of spelling-rule exceptions and arbitrarinesses) to get it right.

End of rant. Esperanto really is easier.

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Perimeters and Parameters

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:40 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:46 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Keith I like your desription of inclusive church and basically agree with it. But I really do believe that even in the most progressive church there are some bounderies out there.

In the most basic sense a Christian is a follower of Jesus. If you don't want to be a follower of Jesus, even in the most basic sense, then you aren't a Christian. That isn't saying something bad about you. That is just saying that by definition Christians are Christ followers. But by saying so we are drawing a line, defining the border, whatever metaphor you want to use.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Re: Perimeters and Parameters

Postby Haruo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:06 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:12 am

Why do people hate narrow creeds?

Why do people even bother to mess with church when Jesus had no building or wealth?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby KeithE » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:13 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Mike Stidham » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Mike Stidham

Postby Haruo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:50 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:06 am

Here are the usernames of new registrants that I deleted just now, all of which registered in the last 14 hours. There was only one whom I bothered to look up, and he (Kevd) also turned out to be pure spam, as I will show below:

infedummise, Breendangm, Christineovv, Bundimpaimi, bidsdiami, Breendavin, j1tdolsu2, Christineljn, EmponoumPug, Heerough, smichukv, Wendywrl, Irrimiascense, carpinteyrofam, Houlkvove, plalcherrvg, sernordipse, Sottthoug, Barpkeype, cahthiernhg, dixiehowley, Unconejodox, Whortmamatorn, UsaxapsHisk, bbsketcphj, outletaya, zhonghevi, jordanlhl, haruma4z, ripprirebeaug, LittrinyActiz, Eleanorepov, florejarrett, DeFdBEiFajAhfde, Wendylfj, Blanchekfy, isabellaenfriedaon, Gabriellejdd, Annabellemel, vesterblomme, accovacut, feteinfastima, opepsyEageply, uyxtcuued, Anastasiaxmc, Infodedon, Candancehme, Jennifernij, Tretretle, Gabriellevpf, insastala, feldawharmby, dejwitxyzsdaweq, carteyrosaa, biulaindktv, TanoAnaelmsam, MrPromotor, Davesmealuabs, Fredericaxrl, Reriloonerere, Corneliaicf, Rillioxotrula, Elizabethfui, Fredericamgm, AstodseditSet, Blumpemn, gtwebus, Evangelinexll, carteyrohwm, ImmabeStelm, Gabriellevpv, cypocogma, Hagmaslardlug, SkageDowaffok, Candancejhu, soseSwearie, clarcaskinsdfsfs, Eleanorectg, arerndred, Qualuache, mckevwspat, Eleanorewgp, BLINEEALKAKIT, Christinezzp, Annabellerxq, lftsdjgqdndm, Hermosafoq, Corneliaifr, LachNeagmamek, ertaytpfubxf, slamslotoum, Eleanorerik, Elizabethaeq, dtbeitit, Candanceuuk, jondgthon, lepCreedmal, carteyrolmd, Abigailfej, Alla7834, deantyGat, Corneliansl, cheentikike, Amumbefellifs, attella, webtibe, webnant, lujoveyuzw, Moxoffets, Mamssuiffiste, hrqicsduii, Blanchelqe, feegolipboali, Kevd, Suttoiwrrik, Abigailfvt, Annabellelln, Christineqdh

I only looked at "Kevd" because (a) the handle is short enough to stand out in the list and (b) I could easily imagine some naive newby named Kevin Douglass thinking it would pass muster as his "real name" per our rulebook. At least he turned out to be from California, not the Ukraine. But the email he gave was "getastyle100tr@gmail.com", which did not enhance my confidence in his humanity, and when I checked his IP on the spam lists, stopforumspam.com reported "108.171.248.250 appears in our database 5897 times"... So he got speedily deleted, too. Look at all those girls with three random letters stuck on their names. Almost all of them are in China. I truly pity the person who legitimately wants to join this forum but who doesn't understand how critically important it is to use a real-looking name, first and last with a space betwixt, and to try again a day later if it didn't work. I am morally certain that every week I probably delete a genuine applicant or two just because they used a handle (even if it's a derivative of their real name) that looked too much like all these Chinese chicks. Okay, I know, that's sexist. Some of the spammers use masculine-looking garbage for names.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Mike Stidham » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Mike Stidham

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Ed P
are you asking what a local church should be "allowed" (sorry, could not think of a better word) Or the larger denomination like ABC. SBC, CBF, UCC, UMC, PCA and/or UPC?
Peter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Ed: Gee Peter, it is good to know you are still around.

What I would like a discussion of is, Can/should a Christian community set limits on who may or may not participate in their mission? Or do limits automatically constitute a creed.
Ed Pettibone

PreviousNext

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum