Greetings from Eastern NC from Gene Scarborough

Pull up a chair and introduce yourself. We're glad you're here.

Greetings from Eastern NC from Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:04 pm

I was born in 1946 so that makes me a member of the first generation of Baby Boomers!!

I have been such a Southern Baptist that my mother carried me in her womb to the Liberty, SC, FBC where my father, Claude Scarborough, was pastor. They said I preached to my teddy bears "just like daddy."

His experience from the small Rural church outside Athens, GA, (Moon's Grove) sent him to Mercer and then to Andover-Newton. He spent a lifetime serving SBC churches and became the first Director of Juvenile Rehabilitation for the Home Mission Board in 1958 as well as Assistant DOM for the Atlanta Baptist Association.

This tells you how deep my Baptist roots go. Daddy said we were distantly related to L.R. Scarborough of Texas fame. My Grandmother Scarborough was a Graham of Billy's family remotely as well. You might say I'm "Baptist to the bone."

I graduated Emory 1967 with a Psyhology degree / SEBTS 1970 having served the Raleigh Baptist Assoiation, HMB and NCBSC as their Diretor of Juvenile Rehabilitation. 16 years of full time ministry in SC and GA / became Eastern NC rep for Ministers Life Insurance I was active at the same time with churhes of the N. Roanoke Association.

Although greatly disappointed in the direction of the SBC in the last 40 years, I am willing to engage their problems. Here I find a place far less restrictive and far more open than the SBC blogs. I will just try to be honest and share 2 lifetimes of being Baptist from both my Father and me.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: Greetings from Eastern NC from Gene Scarborough

Postby Neil Heath » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Welcome, Gene. Solid credentials, for sure! Looking forward to your contributions here.

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks, Neil!!

I see you with a Macon location so you know Mercer.

I'm sure glad this site is here because today they took down the comment section of our NC Biblial Recorder---just when the Gaston Association fiasco fat is hitting the fan. It's not pretty at all and is drawing a lawsuit from the main line folks there.

I suspect the Recorder will joing the Index of GA and SC state paper as another puff piece for CR. Baptists Today had a link today to the local Gaston Gazette for all the news we will likely get of any merit in the future.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 am

Glad to have you with us. I know our paths have crossed in my days in NC, but I am just not certain where. I had two stints in Eastern NC, one in Parkton and one in Fayetteville. Also served in Winston-Salem area and in NC's far southwestern corner. Again, welcome to our melange of opinion.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:09 am

Same here, Dave.

Did we meet at some national CBF function--I was in Atlanta / last year at Winston-Salem for NC meeting. I was at Charlotte for national meeting.

I have been to several Mainstream functions and am a friend of David Currie--he came for our N. Rocky Mount "Baptist Heritage Conference" as the main speaker and preached for me Sunday morning for our local worship service. We visited at my house and smoked our pipes together = we are really "bad boys" to smoke, but someone has to support the eastern NC tobacco farmer.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Were you possibly in Richmond when Mainstream held its national gathering there? As far as national CBF gatherings, have been at several of those--Houston, Washington, Grapevine, Birmingham, Fort Worth, Charlotte back a few years, even in Atlanta when it was formed. Can't remember all the meetings I have attended. I left NC in 1994 and have been in VA ever since. I am a Southern grad (long BM thankfully--BM among SBTS folks means before Mohler). I am on the CBFVA Coordinating Council. I'm just not certain where, but know we have met,
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:41 pm

THAT MUST BE IT!!!

I was there and have loved all the meetings I could attend. Being an insurance representative and small business owner while pastoring small churches meant I even had to pay my own way---with great joy!

Preachers don't realize how much a Convention budget item helps them be there. Those of us who pay our own way to be there are a bunch of "very serious" Baptists---without having to bow to the majority every time!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:37 pm

I have been out of pastoral ministry for over a year (another story). I currently work in a 911 center. Understand completely what you mean, but I've always ended up paying for some meetings and events acrosss the years, even when I had an allowance.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Forum. (For Visitors and New Users)