[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - "The Very Angry Tea Party"

"The Very Angry Tea Party"

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

"The Very Angry Tea Party"

Postby Bruce Gourley » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:41 pm

An :

From the piece:

"My hypothesis is that what all the events precipitating the Tea Party movement share is that they demonstrated, emphatically and unconditionally, the depths of the absolute dependence of us all on government action, and in so doing they undermined the deeply held fiction of individual autonomy and self-sufficiency that are intrinsic parts of Americans’ collective self-understanding."
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: "The Very Angry Tea Party"

Postby KeithE » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Jim

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:40 pm

What I am convinced that the Tea Party Movement has done is tap into the anger that seems to predominate in our culture. We are in a time when people are angry over the economy, over wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that have lasted longer than WWI and WWII combined, over the spiraling change that seems to threaten their world at every turn, and over the fact that everything on which they thought they depended including the idea that the church would always be there in the form it was for granddad is part of the fabric of society. Jobs that were once the mainstays of our economy have been exported--manufacturing, metals, and textiles. The Tea Party seems to be a pressure valve that is giving people a place to "pop off."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:10 am

My father-in-law is running for County Judge here. I've noticed that quite a few of his "fans" on Facebook are active Tea Partiers. Because of his Tea Party support, he was interviewed by the local newspaper reporter who covers the local races - the reporter tried to get my father-in-law to describe himself as a Tea Party Democrat.

He wouldn't do it because he really shares very little in common with the Tea Party crowd. The County Judge is basically a full-time CEO of sorts of the county (not a traditional judge) who has a spot on the 5-member Commissioners court. His campaign has emphasized "responsible government" and "open government." The incumbent has been less than transparent and involved in bad business deals for the county (not fiscally responsible). So, he's trying to ride the anti-incumbent wave that clearly exists in this area. And those themes of transparency and fiscal responsibility do seem to resonate with both Democrats and Tea Partiers at the local level.

Not sure how far that will take him though. It's a tight rope to walk. On the one hand you want all the votes you can get - including the Tea Party vote. On the other hand, you definitely don't want to get tapped as a Tea Partier.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:34 am

What the Tea Party appears to be doing, across the country, is helping a lot of candidates in Republican primaries defeat incumbents or moderate Republicans. Most polls are showing that, when this happens, it usually benefits whoever the Democrat candidate is on the other side of the race.

I'm wondering if the anti-incumbent mood has had an effect in the governor's race in Texas. The Democrat, Bill White, has pushed fiscal responsibility and has pointed out that Perry misses an inordinate number of days on the job, as well as his spending on things related to his own personal office. He's slowly chipped away at Perry's lead in the polls, appears to be leading among independent voters, and has, within the last week, moved into a tie in the polls, unheard of in heavily Republican, conservative Texas.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=7514195
Sandy

Postby ET » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby ET » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues