[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Football, basketball, race, and "Bubba Chuck"

Football, basketball, race, and "Bubba Chuck"

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Football, basketball, race, and "Bubba Chuck"

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:00 pm

I just watched the 90-minute Steve James' documentary "The Trial of Alan Iverson," on ESPN. It will run again Thursday night (Apr 15) 9:30 - 11:00pm EDT (8:30-10pm CDT) on ESPN2. This incident happened in "my backyard." Iverson was imprisoned about 4 miles from where I live. Although Iverson himself did not participate in the film, there was enough footage of him available that James could give Alan a "role" in the film.

It is (in my opinion) an even-handed presentation of the events of 1993. This is about racial tension in the South in the late 20th century.

Some of you who are participating in the Civil War thread should watch this (especially if you have an interest in basketball, race relations, and/or the church's influence in civil rights). I found this to be one of the more intriguing documentaries I've seen in a while. Especially as a few of the interviewees are people I have met.

Then Gov. L. Douglas Wilder gave clemency to Iverson (during Wilder's last days in office), cutting off most of the time he would have spent in a minimum-security prison. Thanks to a WHITE lady, Iverson finished his high school education. thanks to John Thompson he went to Georgetown University, and the rest in history.

Comments.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Football, basketball, race, and "Bubba Chuck"

Postby Jonathan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:21 am

ESPN's "30 for 30" documentary series has been mostly excellent so far. I have the Iverson one on DVR and watched a bit of it last night. Looks like a good one.

My initial thought was that Iverson didn't mature much from his teen years through his NBA years. Great athlete, horrible entitlement mentality.
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:16 pm

Chris

Tony Cartledge Wife and Tim Tyson

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:45 am

I think Cartledge wife has blog on Tyson's Movie Blood Done Sign my name. Tony had blog on the book.
I saw Trial of Iverson last week; pretty provocative stuff. Steve James did the work on Prefontaine of which I"d heard.
Also reminded me of late 70's book the Courtship of Marcus Dupree of Philadelphia, MS; home of the murder of Goodman, Cheney and Schwerner, though Iverson poses its own set of questions which wouldn't hurt the Wofford Proffs to explore; may challenge their take a little.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:08 am

Newspaper columnist David Teel (who is interviewed several times in the film) weighs in. He feels that the film was "fair and balanced," although my recollection is that, during his interviews, he strongly supports Alan Iverson.

http://weblogs.dailypress.com/sports/te ... .html#more

Teel (someone who was there at the time)_ is worth reading.
Chris

I Corinthians Baptist Church/Coccoa

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:22 am

Site of the Black Agenda Debate

Pretty interesting clips I'm catching here and there on MSNBC

I think there is a strong instinct in middle class white America it is a zero sum game and any progress by blacks and other minorities is at their expense, either in better jobs or Higher taxxes.
Artur Davis faces that impasse in Alabama and though he is the best candidate, he will not make it unless White folks like Nick Saban help translate his promise to the folks in the stands who now underwrite the most successful gridiron program in America.
In the conversation at First Corinthians this morning, there was a call for Coccoa Parties to join the Tea Parties for a true conversation at the Grass Roots.
Artur Davis may have to risk that in Alabama/Coccoa Tea Parties.

What Say Joe Godfrey????
And or more chat between Steve James and Street James of Newark, NJ

Again: Remnick's The Bridge, The Bridge: The BRidge adds lot of light to these discussions; especially the chapter on SC Primary 2008; and Jackson's admonition to Michael Jordan to Pass the Ball.

Stephen Fox

30/30 on OJ June 17th

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Don't miss this one.

Director Producer Brett Morgen has been a friend since Jan 1992 when I was his local consultant on a documentary on Collinsville,Alabama,Blessings of Liberty shown on statewide Public TV.

http://30for30.espn.com/film/june-17-1994.html

Stephen Fox

Postby Chris » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:40 am

The pre-event "hype" for Michael Vick's 30th birthday party (the party after which someone got shot) said that Allen Iverson would be in attendance. He didn't show up. And right now, he is counting his blessings that he didn't show.

Michael Vick and Marcus Vick aren't off the hook yet. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Michael's lawyer says Michael left the party 10 minutes before the shooting. Video cameras recorded Michael at the party only 4 minutes before the shooting. The shooting happened a block from the nightclub. How long would it take to walk a block? ....about 4 minutes?

Virginia Beach P.D. is still investigating the incident. I suspect they are under pressure to downplay Michael's complicity in this. Otherwise, he has probably played his last down in the NFL.
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 am

I updated this story on "Michael Vick Saved" on the Baptist Faith and Practices Forum
Chris

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues