[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - VA Governor and Confederate Heritage Month

VA Governor and Confederate Heritage Month

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: VA Governor and Confederate Heritage Month

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:54 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:08 am

This discussion makes me want to dust off my copies of Shelby Foote and James&Walter Kennedy.
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby ET » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:16 am

Dave, you need to edit the links. They don't work.

Personally, I think Rawls wrote the better commentary. He asks questions that go beyond the typical "it was all about slavery" shallowness and display some of the more complex issues of history that are often overlooked in any era. Slavery most certainly was the catalyst for the whole mess, but when 90% or more of the population didn't own a slave, making slavery out to be the issue of the day for everyone who fought for one side or the other is not historically accurate.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:43 am

Many from the area in which I grew up fought solely because Confederate Conscription Agents took them for the duration--or until they were able to desert.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:04 am

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby William Thornton » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:23 pm

There's a guy running for an open seat in the House of Representates who is running commercials now, a conservative Republican. The background music in the ad is the most memorable song from Ken Burn's Civil War series, Ashokan Farewell (hear it . I love the tune, think it is a genuinely inspired piece, and will always associate it with Burns' series. Wonder if this guy is trying to catch some of the Heritage vote?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:02 am

Today there is a new response from a group of Baptist ministers who object to a number of Gov. McDonnell's actions including this proclamation.
Interesting to see what the response will be.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:13 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:04 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues