[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - "I didn't want to be known as the man who ruined his career"

"I didn't want to be known as the man who ruined his career"

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

"I didn't want to be known as the man who ruined his career"

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:15 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: "I didn't want to be known as the man who ruined his career"

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:08 am

With the custodian, it's sexual harrassment in the workplace. With a teen, grounds for immediate dismissal even if there was no criminal conduct. His career needed to be stopped. I think the ministers acted inappropriately.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

A lesser question

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:22 am

What constitutes ground for starting a new thread? The board seems to be losing its way in that regard.

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:44 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:46 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:23 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Christa Brown » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Christa Brown

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:12 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:21 am

One of the things that keeps occurring here is the use of "accountability groups." The truth is that in Baptist life there is no requirement of accountability beyond that to the deacons, personnel committee, or pastor/church relations committee of the local church. There are no requirements for participation in peer groups of any sort in most churches. It would seem to me that one way to approach this might be to build into pastor/church covenants a requirement that ministers participate in such an accountability group that sits down together at least once each month.

I am very thankful that in my first pastorate, a local hospital chaplain invited me into such a group about 4 weeks after I arrived on the field. I was involved in a pilot project in the 1980's and 1990's to create ministerial support groups in NC. I have been involved since 2003 with CBF's Initiative for Ministerial Excellence and Peer Learning Groups. There are people who drive 50 miles one way to participate because there is nothing of a similar nature available in their local areas. Christa is on the right track about accountability groups, but despite all the emphasis given to them, they are few in number and not easily accessible to many ministers.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:52 am

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Christa Brown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:59 am

Christa Brown