[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Emmaus Walks

Emmaus Walks

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Emmaus Walks

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:37 am

Just returned from being a Team member on a Walk to Emmaus. I cannot recommend this program highly enough.

Met two unforgetable characters on this Walk-

Bob Watson a retired Marine (20+ years) and now a solo missionary to the nations (mostly Soutern Hemisphere which is much more open to the "real gospel" as he says). He is sick and tired of all the negative protrayals of God as being angry at us and his main message is that God is loves us and is always "pulling for us" - not like the angry Marine sergeants he lived under. He works odd jobs near Shoals area on N AL including golf course manintenence until he has enough money to go on another missionary trip.

Dale White- older gentlemen who was once an actor/singer I believe doing Looney's Tavern (about the proud county of Winston AL) and as well as some Hollywood TV - never said what shows. I suspect Dale had had a stoke and mentioned his arthitis. He moved and talk slow but when you could understand him, he spoke with great conviction and wisdom. At the closing he got up and "testified" and it drew a great applause with lines like "I may not have great degrees hanging on my wall, but I know the Lord and will proclaim Him as loud as my voice can be heard and these weary bones wont stop me- I'll do it from bed if I have to". Dale was at my Table where I was the discussion leader and after the closing he wanted me to meet his Methodist pastor "a greeeaat man of God" of Arley, AL. That pastor immediate asked me where I went to church and I told him Weatherly Heights Baptist Church. He said he never heard of it but "as long as it preaches the Word, Baptist churches could be all right; it does preach the Word doesn't it". I assured him it does, but thought to myself - the Word means Jesus to me but probably something else to him. At least I know Dale is on solid ground.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Agreed

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:37 am

Michael
"Is this heaven?"
"No, it's Iowa."
"Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven."
Michael

Re: Agreed

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:07 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:05 pm

Michael
"Is this heaven?"
"No, it's Iowa."
Michael

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:03 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby mlovell » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:33 pm

mlovell

Postby jerryl » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:08 pm

Last edited by jerryl on Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerryl

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:46 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:09 pm

Last edited by David Flick on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:20 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:01 am

Last edited by KeithE on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:20 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:27 am

Jonathan

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:44 am

Michael
"Is this heaven?"
"No, it's Iowa."
Michael

Postby David Flick » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:57 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:10 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:51 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:30 pm

ED: About Emmaus Walk, David flick wrote [Quote] I went primarily out of self-defense. Several of the pastors in my association had gone on walks and worked as team members and I wanted to see for myself what this program was about.

Which leads me to ask; David are you now recomending those pastors as spritual mentors? This sounds strange in light of your prior dicussions of pastors in that association.

David also said [quote]Ed you spoke without much knowledge when you talked of a "Methodist warm-over of a Catholic program." While the Emmaus Walk is patterned after the RCC Cursillo, it's not uniquely Methodist. It's very ecumenical. In the part of Oklahoma where I went on my walk, there were numerous denominations involved, with the predominant denomination being SBC.]

Ed: And David did you note that I softened that warmover to (adaptaion) which is the used used in the Upper Room Discription of the program?

As far as the Emmaus walk not being "uniquely Methodist" I would ask in whose name are the copy writes for the material?

And for you to use "there were numerous denominations involved, with the predominant denomination being SBC" as support for the program sounds stange to my ears.

I am not Knocking nor have I knocked Emmaus Walk. I stated my reasons for not being enthused about Michales inital suggestion, and raised additional questions, stemomg from the protest of my inital statement.
Ed Pettibone

Postby jerryl » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:41 pm

jerryl

Postby jerryl » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:12 pm

Last edited by jerryl on Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerryl

Postby Jonathan » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:49 pm

Jonathan

Postby KeithE » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:26 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:18 am

Jonathan

Postby David Flick » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:41 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:01 am

Ed Pettibone

Next