NAMB leader, 3 top associates resign

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

NAMB leader, 3 top associates resign

Postby William Thornton » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:00 am

I don't mean to walk over TimR2's topic below, same news, but his approach was to wonder why no one is speaking out about it.

NAMB president, 3 associates, resign

Comments from the NAMB trustee chairman, Tim Patterson:

"First I want to thank the trustees of the North American Mission Board who have come together today and worked through some very difficult issues. They have carried out their responsibilities today in a way that has been honorable, thorough and fair.

"Dr. Hammond has resigned as president of the North American Mission Board and his resignation takes effect immediately. In addition, three of Dr. Hammond’s closest associates -- Steve Reid, Dennis Culbreth and Brandon Pickett -- will resign their positions as well.

"Even though the subject of today’s meeting has been the topic of much media speculation, it is important to remember that this is a personnel matter and we will keep the details of today’s discussion confidential.

"As you can imagine, these last few days have been very challenging for Dr. Hammond and his family, our trustees and the employees and missionaries of the North American Mission Board. We will continue to be in prayer for Dr. Hammond, his family, and for the families of the others who have resigned.

"I want to thank Southern Baptists for their prayers and ask that they continue praying. We have much work left to do as we seek God’s guidance in these days. I still believe that God has great plans for the North American Mission Board and that NAMB will play a key part in the Southern Baptist effort to reach North America for Christ.

I'm sorry, Tim Patterson, but NAMB is one of our top investments as Southern Baptists and this personnel action is not a private matter. Trustees should be held accountable for their actions in hiring this CEO, his two and a half year stint as leader, and now his forced resignation. Why? At what cost? It is not forgotten that Robert Reccord's exit agreement was said to be two full years of pay plus executive placement services - hundreds of thousands of dollars of SBCers hard earned money. Now we are presumably paying for four people. How much?

I have no inside information on this but would merely observe like any loyal, concerned Southern Baptist pastor that NAMB is an agency in freefall. Southern Baptists deserve better.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: NAMB leader, 3 top associates resign

Postby Jerry_B » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:34 am

NAMB is a mess and has been almost since the great renaming. Perhaps if they stopped running the thing like a business and instead ran it like a ministry, you know open and transparent, things would be different. We don't send much to the SBC now but we have a few hangers on and I will be recommending that we not send any money to NAMB. They don't deserve it as they have proven themselves to be awful stewards.
Jerry_B

Postby William Thornton » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:41 am

Jerry_B wrote:...I will be recommending that we not send any money to NAMB. They don't deserve it as they have proven themselves to be awful stewards.

Can't say that I blame you.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:28 am

Jerry_B wrote:NAMB is a mess...

Notice that the trustee chair didn't even say something along the lines of "We nonetheless thank Dr. Hammond for his time of service to Southern Baptists... blah, blah, blah..." The most incompetent of adminstrators is usually given that much.

Hammond must have really screwed up badly. Or perhaps he just didn't realize the magnitude of the mess he inherited.
Mark

Postby Jerry_B » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:07 pm

If he didn't realize what a mess it was/is it is his own fault, there was plenty of read, people to talk to and actions to be observed.
Jerry_B

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Fundamentalists, not having any more liberals/moderates to attack, now are reduced to chewing up other fundamentalists for whatever reasons they may have. It feels so good not to be Southern Baptist any more.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby William Thornton » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:44 am

Looks like SBCers have to root around for their news, Baptist Press lying low when the going gets tough (not that my mod friends will not be quick to say 'we told you so'), so the Southern Baptist Texan has the story with Geoff Hammond's post-sacking comments: Hammond found joy in serving SBC; says it will take ‘missionary thinking’ to reach continent

What we heard officially from NAMB's trustees: squat, empty God-talk, and a release from their PR flack.

What we heard from BP: "the guys resigned...that's all you Southern Baptists get from us..." [wm: BP is carrying the Texan story today. Wonder if they feel like calling around and doing their own story? Guess not.]

What we heard from individual NAMB trustees: squat, empty God-talk, "you shoulda been there...we wuz all broken up about it" and one resigned trustee's honest appraisal - "hypocrites".

What we heard from bloggers and commenters: gossip, anonymous reports, some alledge facts

Where should Southern Baptists go for their news?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:16 pm

William Thornton wrote: Where should Southern Baptists go for their news?

Let us not forget that Ed Young, around the time he was serving as SBC president, infamously said that investigative journalism "has no place in the Kingdom of God." Soon thereafter, Associated Baptist Press (ABP) was birthed by the CBF crowd in response to such disturbed thinking.
Mark

Return to SBC News and Trends