More trouble at NAMB...

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

More trouble at NAMB...

Postby William Thornton » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:33 am

Baptist Press: Trustee e-mail addresses rumors of NAMB president removal

The Christian Index, the Georgia Baptist Convention state paper: NAMB trustees to consider removal of agency's president

Since NAMB is in Atlanta and NAMB staffers attend church locally, talk on the street about problems in the agency usually find their way to the Christian Index which published a story last year about morale problems at the agency.

Sorry to say it, but this is a dysfunctional organization and has been for years. Although the latest rumors are aimed squarely at the president, Southern Baptists should ultimately hold the trustees responsible. There are 57 NAMB trustees and 21 of those serve on an executive committee.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: More trouble at NAMB...

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:35 am

Same old, same old!
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:56 am

Staff morale lower than when Reccord was head of NAMB: NAMB trustees call special meeting to consider leadership, morale

A NAMB spokesman told the Recorder that Hammond had been encouraged that if the original executive leadership coach did not work out, he should select one of his own choosing which he was in process of doing.

Let's see, earlier issues caused the trustees to force Hammond to have an "executive leadership coach" assigned to him. Apparently, he didn't like this coach so he went out to find his own.

Can't we find someone to run this outfit who doesn't need a babysitter? God and the trustees only know what Southern Baptists are paying this "coach."

Disgusted.

The Atlanta-Journal Constitution feels this is newsworthy enough to report on it here.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby TimR2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:26 am

William Thornton wrote:A NAMB spokesman told the Recorder that Hammond had been encouraged that if the original executive leadership coach did not work out, he should select one of his own choosing which he was in process of doing.

William, if the NAMB EL told him to find one of his own then, it appears, there is nothing for them to be upset about. The only one seemingly speaking out of both sides of his mouth is the chairman. He openly called for a merging of mission boards back in May and now there is an EL committee call for a special meeting. Are we to understand that the chairman cannot somehow keep this type of meeting from taking place?
Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can’t, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.- Robert Frost
TimR2

Postby William Thornton » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:19 am

TimR2 wrote:
William Thornton wrote:A NAMB spokesman told the Recorder that Hammond had been encouraged that if the original executive leadership coach did not work out, he should select one of his own choosing which he was in process of doing.

William, if the NAMB EL told him to find one of his own then, it appears, there is nothing for them to be upset about. The only one seemingly speaking out of both sides of his mouth is the chairman. He openly called for a merging of mission boards back in May and now there is an EL committee call for a special meeting. Are we to understand that the chairman cannot somehow keep this type of meeting from taking place?

I believe that a certain number of trustees can call a meeting.

Assigning blame is immaterial. This is an agency that has been in upheaval for years and Southern Baptists deserve better.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends