[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SBC Calvinism New Statement

SBC Calvinism New Statement

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: SBC Calvinism New Statement

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:46 pm

Let me amend my earlier comment to say that LifeWay Research has data that shows little difference between Calvinists and non-Calvinists in annual baptism rates. LifeWay REsearch has changed some of their website but here is a link to a powerpoint on the study:

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:00 pm

William you can call historic experience an old saw if you like. But if these folks really mean what they say they mean then they don't believe in evangelism. They believe in identifying the elect.

R
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Hampton Baptist Church that I am privileged to serve as interim may not be the hotbed of evangelism, but that in many ways reflects the transition from being a neighborhood church to being a regional church with members spread across an area fifteen miles across in one direction and twenty in the other axis. We have been blessed to host a Vietnamese language congregation for several years (meeting in our building with financial support. I had the opportunity to attend their baptismal service three weeks ago. Our language congregation is reaching well into the third generation of those who came to this country at the fall of South Vietnam.

My model for missions was First Baptist in Fayetteville, NC. They had, across their first 150 years, birthed 15 congregations, some now larger than they. The church I served was their first sponsored congregation in 1859. That strategy of starting a church each decade seems far more effective than just growing a mega or satellite centers.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:57 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby John Sneed » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:04 pm

His name, in French, was Jean Cauvin. John Calvin is what we call him in English.

I have refrained from replying on this topic, since I am in the ARBCA, I have no dog in this hunt anymore. But since I am writing now, I will just say this document is a spit in the face of Convention Calvinists and it is holding the door open to invite them to leave. There is no win in this for anybody. That is my take as an ex-SBCer.
John Sneed

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:08 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:50 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:20 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:16 am

Dave's point is very important. It takes time for theology to move down from the pulit into the congregation. But eventually what is taught in the pulpit will effect what is believed in the pew. And if we don't believe that then we aren't saying much about the effectiveness of pastoral teaching and preaching.

If (and I know this is an if) over time more and more Calvinist pastors are produced from seminaries funded by the SBC then over time more and more congregations will lean futher into Calvinism. Historically Baptists denominations that have fallen into full going Calvinism have not done well in evangelism. Recent data is likely too recent to tell what the long term effects will be. But I don't have any knowledge of strongly Calvinist denominations growing. Maybe you know of such William? The only denomination I can think of that is Reformed and is growing is the RCA. But the RCA, to the best of my knowledge, is modified Calvinist and not 5-point Calvinist.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:31 am

Timothy and Dave: Calvinist pastors in the SBC are as evangelistic or moreso than 'normal' pastors. You can make all the 'a-generation-down-the-road' predictions that you want. And Timothy I don't know of any large denominations that are growing.

The problem that generated the SBC was not that the New Calvinists weren't baptizing enough people, although that accusation is a tiresome one.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:13 am

Ed: When Tim B. says "But the RCA, to the best of my knowledge, is modified Calvinist and not 5-point Calvinist." I have to add that the last I read any thing by Ascol (3 or 4 years ago) the Founders conference was still saying if you are not a 5 pointer you are no Calvinist.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 am

The old stereotypes (which do have quit a bit of historical justification) about Calvinism in the world of American evangelicalism just aren't true anymore, as William has tried to point out.

Maybe one can argue that Calvinists don't take their Calvinism to its logical conclusion in terms of application. Feel free to argue that.

But we can't deny that Calvinism is A) on the rise and has been for a number of years now and B) there are MORE THAN A FEW examples of 5-point Calvinist pastors, churches, networks that have experienced great growth in recent years. Thus, the reason for this SBC Calvinism statement. The growth of Calvinism threatens some, especially those in power.

Like it or not, Calvinists have been at the center of some of the most successful church planting efforts over the past 10-15 years. Mark Driscoll anyone?

And John Piper - as he's preparing to retire - is as Calvinist as they come and his ministry is not one of stagnation and anti-evangelism.

Perhaps the "New" in "New Calvinism" is appropriate as it is functionally different than the popular Calvinism of the 19th century.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:39 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:00 pm

I, like Tim, am interested in how a 5-point Calvinist can find theological justification for doing evangelism. Somehow I have missed a step in this. If grace is irrestible, then the elect will come to salvation whether or not Christ is even proclaimed. Otherwise, to a Calvinist, God is not sovereign.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Sandy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Driscoll might be the exception or at least that's how he's portrayed since he's in Seattle.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Enticing people to a bigger show has gone on since the dawn of Christianity.

Simon the Magician was such and it really has not changed.

The real problem is how people ask, "What can they do for me" rather than "what I can do for Christ" and "how this group will help me find the Joy of Salvation and share it in daily living among my family and friends."

Us humans really love looking at our belly buttons. You will please note how Christian Social Ministries has dropped off the screen of the NAMB in deference to church planting. If it becomes all about the new bigger numbers rather than the Joy of Salvation, we have missed the main ingredient of following Christ, in my view. :(
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:04 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:55 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:47 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:52 pm

"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

PreviousNext

Return to SBC News and Trends