[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - The gift that keeps on giving...

The gift that keeps on giving...

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

The gift that keeps on giving...

Postby William Thornton » Mon May 07, 2012 5:24 pm

...would be former SBC VP Wiley Drake, a genuine nutcase over which almost all SBCers have an acute case of buyer's remorse.

His latest:

Bob Allen is someone whose work at Associated Baptist Press is outstanding but he either has a Wiley Drake fetish or a pretty well developed sense of humor.

Wiley's nonsense, it seems, we will have with us always.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: The gift that keeps on giving...

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon May 07, 2012 7:24 pm

The only thing for which to blame the SBC is ever electing him to a meaningless office. Even in being arrested, didn't he identify himself as "the former second VP of the SBC?"
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon May 07, 2012 7:39 pm

Haruo left a comment on my blog...said he was looking for stuff on Wiley there. Nah, he's not worth a whole blog piece. I probably have a good bit here if someone wanted to do a search.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Shades of the Gospel Blimp :o
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon May 07, 2012 11:17 pm

It's not like Wiley Drake is some nut who was elected 2nd VP as a funny HAHA moment in SBC history.

He's the guy who offered the successful motion to boycott Disney - not a insignificant event in history of SBC public life.

Anyone remember the Wiley Drake kerfuffle from way back when in the early days of the Baptist blogosphere? I was in the middle of that mess w/ Brian Kaylor. I don't remember all the details but Wiley's signature was found on an online statement supportive of violence/murder of an abortion provider (whose name I forget).

Wiley eventually spoke out and promised Ben Cole and Marty Duren that it wasn't him. Wiley claimed he's got haters out there who faked his signature. SBCers believed ole Wiley.

Fast forward a handful of years, does anyone believe him now? He flat out lied to SBC bloggers and they bought it. That I am convinced of. The guy prays for the death of the President. He's just a little sick.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Haruo » Tue May 08, 2012 12:07 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue May 08, 2012 7:17 am

The level of hate with this guy is comminserate with the whole underlying theme of CR = HATE! :(
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby John Sneed » Tue May 08, 2012 11:37 am

I will never for get the Disney boycott. I had just gotten out of the bathtub when my wife walked in with the phone and said some reporter wanted to talk to me. I was an SBC pastor, the only one, in a small town in Nebraska at the time, and this guy asks me what my opinion was on the Disney boycott that was just approved at the Southern Baptist Convention Annual Meeting. My reply of course was educated and well thought out .. I said "Is the Convention meeting this week?"
John Sneed

Postby Haruo » Tue May 08, 2012 11:52 am

Mrs H and I both think that's the funniest thing we ever heard from you, John. Neil, could he have metallic spur?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue May 08, 2012 11:52 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue May 08, 2012 12:49 pm

So is Wiley Drake the guy on the left or the guy on the right? 2012 where? USA? SBC?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 08, 2012 1:14 pm

That'd be Wiley on the left.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue May 08, 2012 1:39 pm

How much does Wiley spend a year on his own press releases? He must have plenty of time to do them and send out hundreds by email.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Tue May 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 08, 2012 6:21 pm

Gene, I want you to drop the monkey line here on SBCNT. Thanks.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue May 08, 2012 6:49 pm

How about I start a "golden monkey award" then!!! :lol:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue May 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Wed May 09, 2012 5:13 am

Mrs Haruo suggests a "Reynolds Wrap Church Hat" award, but she's not a moderator either.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed May 09, 2012 6:45 am

Thanks for the history, Ed ---- most interesting and full of humor some of us have lost! :lol:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Dahl » Tue May 15, 2012 3:32 pm

I was spending a weekend in Dallas when the SBC voted on the Disney boycott.

I was in college at the time (HPU), and most of my friends were buying baseball hats with different comic/animated figures on them (like Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fud, Tweety Bird); and I wanted a hat as well. So, I picked up a Mickey Mouse hat; not having a clue about what was transpiring at the annual convention.

I walked into my greek class the next day, and one of the other students in the class looked at me and said, "Trying to make a statement?"

I had no idea what he was talking about, and said as much. He told me about the boycott, and my reply was "Do they really think that will make any sort of difference?"

He shrugged, and we got ready for class.

Man, I miss that hat.

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue May 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Good old days, huh!!!!!

I remember when we played inter-varsity sports at SEBTS too----the fundies would always clip or elbow you and smile like they had done "God's business!"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Return to SBC News and Trends