Frances Schaffer---Connection now with SEBTS

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Frances Schaffer---Connection now with SEBTS

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu May 03, 2012 2:45 pm

A recent SEBTS publication posts something new on Frances Schaeffer:

http://sebts.edu/news-resources/headlines/articles/Spring2012_Schaeffer.aspx

At the moment, Southeastern Seminary is the custodian of the Francis Schaeffer collection. Dr. Bruce Little, Professor of Philosophy and Directory of the L. Russ Bush Center for Faith and Culture, said, “The Francis A. Schaeffer Foundation retains ownership, and that ownership will be transferred to Southeastern upon the dissolution of the Foundation.”

The Schaeffer collection in Southeastern’s Library is composed of personal correspondences, books, videos, manuscripts, and audiotapes. Additionally, said Little, the collection includes some of Schaeffer’s personal library, and one of the most valuable assets of this collection is Schaeffer’s personal Bible, which has his own notes scripted in the margins. The entire Schaeffer collection – composed of approximately 50,000 entries in inventory – is in the process of being archived and digitized by library employees, Dr. Bill Youngmark and Craig Freeman.

Little befriended Udo Middelmann, son-in-law of Schaeffer and president of the Francis Schaeffer Foundation, in 2008. Little later invited Middelmann to come to Southeastern’s Center for Faith and Culture the following fall (2009) to give a couple lectures at the Center. Little said, “It was while he was here with Deborah [Schaeffer’s daughter] that they approached me with regards to assuming responsibility for the Schaeffer papers.”

Speaking about the character and thinking of Schaeffer, Larry Lyon, Southeastern M.Div. graduate and current Southeastern Ph.D. student, said, “Schaeffer was genuinely hospitable. Whether he was addressing a crowd from a pulpit or a podium, was in his home, or later in life in the hospital, Schaeffer’s message carried such weight because he engaged people in a hospitable manner.

“Schaeffer’s theology was also very practical. He would always engage others and make them think out the logical conclusions of their beliefs. So, he would ask them, ‘If you can’t live this particular way in the world, then is it a system worth living?’”

At certain times, Schaeffer was made out to be the grandfather of the Religious Right and also, he is often labeled as a hard presuppositionalist. Speaking about both of these labels, Little said that Evangelicals must be more careful in their perception of Schaeffer. As for being a grandfather of the Religious Right, said Little, “this is simply not true to history and yes he was a presuppositionalist, but Schaeffer defined the term much differently than the way it is used today.”

I was getting out of SBC circles with a move to insurance, representing Ministers Life in Eastern NC. I first noted his presence in the office of Paige Patterson as I visited and photographed "things SEBTS" in the late 80's as things changed from Lolley to Drummond to Patterson. His plaques honoring Patterson were prominent on the "boast wall" of Patterson's office.

I am still not that conversant with Schaeffer, but am troubled by anyone drawing the attention and furvor of men like Patterson---not content with just being "conservative" but longing to be "controlling consevatives."

I am posting this to draw further insights and comment about how things moved and shaked conservative from 1979 on in the SBC and wider circles. It did not take place without ground being prepared some 20 years prior.

Please fill in the blanks for me as you can. :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Mohler and Francis Schaeffer have been a disaster

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu May 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Giberson and Stephens place them properly in The Anointed.

And Charles Marsh notes Schaeffer's distraction in Wayward Christian Soldiers and spotlights the 73 Lausanne Covenant where Billy Graham took a pass on inerrancy, but Schaeffer held fast.

I have felt the sting of Francis Schaeffer here in NE Alabama.

Diarmaid McCulloch doesn't give Schaeffer much notice in his magisterial Christianity history.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Frances Schaffer---Connection now with SEBTS

Postby Gene Scarborough » Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 am

While the names drop, it doesn't say much about Schaffer. I don't have time for research and it tends to be more bland than those who know him or know about his influence.

Sounds like he is a "fixed-in-concrete" fundy. :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Mike Stidham » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Gene Scarborough wrote:A recent SEBTS publication posts something new on Frances Schaeffer:

http://sebts.edu/news-resources/headlines/articles/Spring2012_Schaeffer.aspx

At the moment, Southeastern Seminary is the custodian of the Francis Schaeffer collection. Dr. Bruce Little, Professor of Philosophy and Directory of the L. Russ Bush Center for Faith and Culture, said, “The Francis A. Schaeffer Foundation retains ownership, and that ownership will be transferred to Southeastern upon the dissolution of the Foundation.”

The Schaeffer collection in Southeastern’s Library is composed of personal correspondences, books, videos, manuscripts, and audiotapes. Additionally, said Little, the collection includes some of Schaeffer’s personal library, and one of the most valuable assets of this collection is Schaeffer’s personal Bible, which has his own notes scripted in the margins. The entire Schaeffer collection – composed of approximately 50,000 entries in inventory – is in the process of being archived and digitized by library employees, Dr. Bill Youngmark and Craig Freeman.

Little befriended Udo Middelmann, son-in-law of Schaeffer and president of the Francis Schaeffer Foundation, in 2008. Little later invited Middelmann to come to Southeastern’s Center for Faith and Culture the following fall (2009) to give a couple lectures at the Center. Little said, “It was while he was here with Deborah [Schaeffer’s daughter] that they approached me with regards to assuming responsibility for the Schaeffer papers.”

Speaking about the character and thinking of Schaeffer, Larry Lyon, Southeastern M.Div. graduate and current Southeastern Ph.D. student, said, “Schaeffer was genuinely hospitable. Whether he was addressing a crowd from a pulpit or a podium, was in his home, or later in life in the hospital, Schaeffer’s message carried such weight because he engaged people in a hospitable manner.

“Schaeffer’s theology was also very practical. He would always engage others and make them think out the logical conclusions of their beliefs. So, he would ask them, ‘If you can’t live this particular way in the world, then is it a system worth living?’”

At certain times, Schaeffer was made out to be the grandfather of the Religious Right and also, he is often labeled as a hard presuppositionalist. Speaking about both of these labels, Little said that Evangelicals must be more careful in their perception of Schaeffer. As for being a grandfather of the Religious Right, said Little, “this is simply not true to history and yes he was a presuppositionalist, but Schaeffer defined the term much differently than the way it is used today.”

I was getting out of SBC circles with a move to insurance, representing Ministers Life in Eastern NC. I first noted his presence in the office of Paige Patterson as I visited and photographed "things SEBTS" in the late 80's as things changed from Lolley to Drummond to Patterson. His plaques honoring Patterson were prominent on the "boast wall" of Patterson's office.

I am still not that conversant with Schaeffer, but am troubled by anyone drawing the attention and furvor of men like Patterson---not content with just being "conservative" but longing to be "controlling consevatives."

I am posting this to draw further insights and comment about how things moved and shaked conservative from 1979 on in the SBC and wider circles. It did not take place without ground being prepared some 20 years prior.

Please fill in the blanks for me as you can. :)

I'm surprised that collection isn't in the Francis Schaeffer Institute at Covenant Seminary in St. Louis (aka SBTS North)
Mike Stidham

Postby KeithE » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:14 am

Mike Stidham wrote:I'm surprised that collection isn't in the Francis Schaeffer Institute at Covenant Seminary in St. Louis (aka SBTS North)

Directionally challenged are they? St. Louis is slightly north of Louisville but it is mostly West on US64. :wink:

But theologically Schaeffer is better suited in a conservative Calvinistic Sem like Covenant.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Mike Stidham » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:42 am

KeithE wrote:
Mike Stidham wrote:I'm surprised that collection isn't in the Francis Schaeffer Institute at Covenant Seminary in St. Louis (aka SBTS North)

Directionally challenged are they? St. Louis is slightly north of Louisville but it is mostly West on US64. :wink:

But theologically Schaeffer is better suited in a conservative Calvinistic Sem like Covenant.

Fair enough. For some reason (living in the STL area) I think of it as being more north that west; but looking at it from that perspective, you're right that it is more west.
Mike Stidham

Postby Timothy Bonney » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:08 am

Being in Iowa we consider St. Louis to be in the south. :lol:
Tim Bonney
Senior Pastor
Grace United Methodist Church
Sioux City, Iowa
Blog - http://circuitwriter.org
Timothy Bonney
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:Being in Iowa we consider St. Louis to be in the south. :lol:

Ed: I think St. Louis prefers to be known as "The Gateway to The West".
TrudyU

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Schaeffer is an influence among Southern Baptists, but there's also not much of a boundary line drawn between his influence among all Evangelicals and just those of the Calvinist persuasion. Among the segment of Christians in the US who hold to a high view of scripture, Schaeffer is definitely a shaping influence. I don't know what kind of effect something like that has on the overall promotion of the school, or its enrollment, but it can't hurt.
Sandy
Sandy

Return to SBC News and Trends